The Secret to Success
1. Trust yourself. But what is most important is that you have to dig deep down, dig deep deep down and ask yourself, who do you want to be? Not what but who? Now I’m not talking about what your parents or teachers want, but You. I’m talking about figuring out for yourselves what makes you happy. No matter how crazy it may sound to other people.
2. Break the rules. We have so many rules in life about everything. I said break the rules, not the law. But break the rules. It is impossible to be a maverick, or a true original, if you are too well behaved, and you do not want to break the rules. You have to think outside the box. That is what I believe, after all, what is the point of being on this Earth if all you want to do is be like everyone and avoid trouble. The only way that I ever got any place was by breaking some of the rules.
3. Don’t be afraid to fail. Anything I’ve ever attempted, I was always willing to fail. So, you can’t always win, but don’t be afraid of making decisions. You can’t be paralyzed by fear or failure or you will never push yourself. You keep pushing because you believe in yourself and in your vision, and you know that it is the right thing to do and success will come so don’t be afraid to be fail.
4. Don’t listen to the nay-sayers. I mean, how many times have you heard “you can’t do this or you can’t do that and that it’s never been done before?” I love it when someone says it’s never been done before because then when I do it, that means I’m the first one that’s ever done it. So pay no attention to the people that say it can’t be done. I never listen that you can’t. I always listen to myself and say YES YOU CAN.
5. Work your butt off. Leave no stone unturned. Muhammed Ali, one of my great heroes had a great line in the 70’s when he was asked, “how many situps do you do?” He said, “I don’t count my situps, I only start counting when it starts hurting, when I feel pain, that’s when I start counting, because that’s when it really counts, that’s what really makes you a champion.” That’s the way it is with everything. No pain no gain. While you’re out there partying, horsing around. Someone out there at the same time out there, is working hard. Someone is getting smarter and someone is winning. Just remember that. There’s absolutely no way around hard work. None of my rules of success will work unless you do. I’ve always figured that there are 24 hours in a day, you sleep 6 hours and you have 18 hours left. I know that some of you all say “but I sleep 8 hours or 9 hours” well then just sleep faster I would recommend.
6. Give back. Whatever path that you take in your life, you must always find time in your life to give something back. Give something back to your community, give something back or to your state, or to your country. Let me tell you something, reaching out and helping people will bring you more satisfaction than anything else you have ever done.
Trust yourself, break some rules, don’t listen to the nay-sayers, work like hell, and don’t forget to give something back.
The man, the king - Arnold Schwarzenegger