RI Live with Hudson Boatworks

Wolf interviews rowings best characters

Moderator: lt.wolf

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

RI Live with Hudson Boatworks

Post by lt.wolf »

Hi all
The forum is open for folks to post questions to Hudson, Scott Matthews will be online next week to answer your questions.

thanks
sean
HardCharger
Novice

Re: RI Live with Hudson Boatworks

Post by HardCharger »

I've seen and read about the new Super Predator, what is the difference between this and the Elite? And what about the difference between the Super Predator and the Predator?
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

How does the design of your 1x hulls different from those of those close by you

Fluid

Kaschper

Vespoli

Also - since I am in the market for a single - How would you compare your wing rigger to the "tube" riggers that are now the rage in Europe?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

I have a questions...you have both the USA and Candain Men's sqauds using your hulls , is that not a conflict of intrest to some extent?

On the national level the choice of the college market is the Reseloute- I feel it is due to it being non sectional to some extent - How can a Hudson eight comapre ?

Also in regards to eights - How does your new steering system work ?
calmsculler
Novice

Post by calmsculler »

HardCharger wrote:I've seen and read about the new Super Predator, what is the difference between this and the Elite? And what about the difference between the Super Predator and the Predator?
Good question. The Elite boat which was always our top line racing shell was constructed of a honeycomb layer sandwiched between two layers of pre-preg and then baked. The pre-preg material is a much better product than a wet lay-up in that the resin content is controled much better so as to enhance the weight and strength. The Hudson product line underwent a serious carbon upgrade in 2003 but over the course of 2006 and 2007 it became evident that new technology would allow us to advance the construction even further. Through a long series of testing, both in the shop and in the field, we have been able to develop a proprietary product which exceeds pre-2008 material in both torsional and longitudinal strength. This material also proves to be 4 times more impact resistant than our previous carbon. It is also lighter and as a result we are able to add even more material to further enhance the toughness of the hull while maintaining a low finished weight.

Back to your question...the predator was the hull construction that eclipsed the old sport model. This infused construction proved to be incredibly tough but also a reasonable weight. Typically we say our Predator models are roughly 3% heavier than our top line ( depending on the boat class, Predators remain very close to FISA weight or under). To eventually simplify the names, we will have a Predator and Super Predator. Due to the advanced new material, we were looking for a name that highlighted this exciting advance in construction and also showed the continuity in the product lines. Sound confusing? Maybe right now to some degree but eventually it will be. Think - Predator, great tough racing boat. Think Super Predator, top line, tough, no hold barred racing boat. Simple
calmsculler
Novice

Post by calmsculler »

rowing wrote:How does the design of your 1x hulls different from those of those close by you

Fluid

Kaschper

Vespoli

Also - since I am in the market for a single - How would you compare your wing rigger to the "tube" riggers that are now the rage in Europe?
Hi again, I've just lost everything I did over the past half hour but here goes again.

I've known Gord Henry (Fluid) and Jacob K for many years and both firmly believe in their products and stand behind them. I have rowed their products as well as others. The only Vespoli I've ever rowed was a 1992 eight and it was a nice boat to row. You'll have to speak to any of these companies to learn about their products. Every builder really has one core goal; make a product that the rowers can use to transport themselves quickly over the race course. We all have slightly different variations in how we go about this task. What I can do is comment on the path Hudson has taken.

Hudson has been know for fast boats and innovation. In response to customer needs, in 2006 we began a complete revamping of our line-up of products with a specific goal. Maintain or exceed the speed characteristics, increase stability and make it more durable. You can check out the durablity improvements in the comments ont he Super Predator. The Shark series hulls began life in the computer. The existing shapes were raced off against several thousand various designs, each with slight variations to determine what the optimal shape was to maintain or exceed the speed and improve comfort in each boat class. The process is then to produce many prototypes to see how they perform outside of cyber space prior to making the finished product. From a strictly analytical persepctive, there has been no faster hull design available over the past two years. Remember though, in saying this, cyber space isn't always reality.

Speed in rowing is tough to quantify in that the crew or scullers are those who create the speed. Hudson is currently the only North American builder with a viable presence on the international stage. We salute and support those individuals who choose our products on the road to their success as their input has been invaluable in getting us there.

We fine tune our boats far beyond the typical weight ranges. For example, the mid weight eight is not merely a cut down heavy boat as is often the case. It is a completely different hull designed to lift and become lighter at a lower power input than the open weight eight.

This is a direct quote from an Ivy League coach:
"The first time we used it was during a S.S. practice and the difference between watching Steady state and race pieces is very different. ... It seems to be more stable than our other racing hulls."

To really experiance the the Shark series hull you need to row them at speed. As you approach race speed the boat begins to shine. Thes boats pitch less and have less dirty water off the stern than any other boat I've been in. To arrange a trial give me a call anytime. That is the best way to judge.

Riggers:
I can only assume that you are referring to the carbon tube type rigger like Empacher uses on some of their boats. Hudson has looked at carbon and, never say never, but currently the fragility (especially when off the boat) the weight and function seem not to justify the cost. The Aluminum wing, proves to be light, stiff, functional and cost effective. In addition the wing itself is safer in rough conditions, allows more options to acurately trim the boat and removes a considerable load from the hull thus potentially extending hull life. Recently two off our competitors, once staunchly against the wing, are now offering this option.

Hope this helps and give a call to do a trial
calmsculler
Novice

Post by calmsculler »

lt.wolf wrote:I have a questions...you have both the USA and Candain Men's sqauds using your hulls , is that not a conflict of intrest to some extent?

Interesting thought, likely with some interesting answers depending on who you ask. Back in the 80's, yes there was rowing back then, Empacher had a well earned reputation as a great boat and they sold them all over the world. I wonder if the German crew's at the time had similar thoughts? We try to provide the same excellent service and product to each and every one of our customers throughout the world. Currently a good portion of our product is exported outside of North America. We wish all our customers well and inparticular the ones that we have developed a great relationship with. Over the past several years the US team's feedback has been extremely beneficial to us and we work hard to earn it just as we we have in Canada. When I was at the Olympic send off in Princeton last summer I was approached with several of the US team just to relay the sentiments that Hudson's support was really appreacciated. That was very nice. Winning in rowing is a tough task and we want our products to be the ones that supports that effort. As Canadians we root for our locals just as anyone else would but we also want our customers to shine. It's a tough one sometime.

On the national level the choice of the college market is the Reseloute- I feel it is due to it being non sectional to some extent - How can a Hudson eight comapre ?

I don't know, is Resolute the choice of the college market? I think resolute has targeted their market very well and it shows in how many boats they do have in the colleges in a realtively short period of time. One thing for certain is that we would like to earn a larger portion of that market. Understanding and servicing the US Colleges is something that we can do much better and are working hard to do. We want to be the people you want to work with because of product service and the fact that we will listen to what you need.

The only sectionals we produce are for export out of North America or for National Teams. Even with a sectional, the weights are now well below FISA in the SP and below that in now sections

Also in regards to eights - How does your new steering system work ?
Works well if everything is tight. For really technical courses we often swap out rudders and fins (done very easily now). Our coxie seat has been designed with a lot of input from Leslie Thompson 7 time Olympic Coxswain. Now that is quality feedback.

Sorry for my lack of technical skills here. I ended up logging my answers through "calmsculler" because I didn't want to lose any more time.
Hudson is always just a call away

Thanks
Scott