USA Lightweight Women Continuing into 2024

Moderators: lt.wolf, YouGotMobjacked

crewu
Old timer

Re: USA Lightweight Women Continuing into 2024

Post by crewu »

fullmetal wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:59 am I didn't intend for my thesis to be "body types matter." My thesis was that Josy isn't being paid to take risks based on one NSR results with Sarasota-level cross-tailwinds, and his decisions need to be reasonable to everyone in the selection pool lest faith in his abilities be sundered. I also pointed out that if Josy swung for the fences with Luwis/Boersen and failed, this whole board would have called for his head. Not many, if any, of us think he ought to be fired for sending Vitas/Wagner. This is a matter of looking at Josy's purpose and his incentives.

In an Olympic year, the only thing that counts is boat speed -- at the Olympics.
How is picking the second fastest 2X swinging for the fences?

And who would be calling for his head? The rowers they beat by boat lengths? Come on.

After that selection regatta Josy sent Vitas and Wagner to world cup II. He could have sent Luwis and Boersen as well. Instead he sent Dellemen and Kallfelz. Why?
Mandolorian
Varsity

Post by Mandolorian »

crewu wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:41 am One of the things I recall watching the Tokyo Olympics was the female commentator (I don't know who it was) repeatedly saying "See, we don't need lightweight women's rowing because these women can go just as fast as the open weights."
This was the faulty argument back in the early 90's when lightweights were fighting to get into the Olympics. If the top lightweights are going as fast as the heavyweights in the event, why do they need a separate lightweight event?

Well at the risk of upsetting a bunch of big people, that's not the question. The question is, why do we have this heavyweight event if the people who have the physical size advantage aren't good enough to beat smaller people. Bottom line, if a heavyweight can't beat a lightweight - they aren't good enough to be racing at the Olympics.
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

It's a faulty argument because there's data that immediately refutes it. Just pull up all the WBTs. Yes, ex-LWs can be competitive with HWs, but the key is that they are no longer LW.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

fullmetal wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:14 am If Josy sent a 5'3" rower to race the W2x at worlds, nothing less than a medal, possibly only gold, would have saved him from this board's collective ridicule and the wrath of USRowing as a whole. Imagine the second-guessing: "we could have gotten gold if he'd sent [xyz] instead. What was he thinking?"

He's not being paid to throw Hail Marys to Justin Jefferson or DeAndre Hopkins, as good as they are. He's being paid to send the crews with the best chance to medal. I love a good underdog story, but Josy has to make decisions that most/all his athletes will respect, even those he doesn't send.
Audrianna Boersen is currently the 6th fastest sculler (open or lw) in the country.

Are you still saying is worthy of collective ridicule?

Lightweights are 3 of the top 7 finishes.
eeoyre
Elite

Post by eeoyre »

crewu wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:28 pm Audrianna Boersen is currently the 6th fastest sculler (open or lw) in the country.

Are you still saying is worthy of collective ridicule?
No, she's the 6th fastest sculler at the fall speed order, which did not include (because they were not required to attend) the W1x, the W2x, and 1/2 the W4x, (or 3/4, if we consider that Kallfelz was rowing sweep).
Portside
Varsity

Post by Portside »

The old Lightweight versus Heavyweight discussion. There have been quite a few early HRR matchups where heavies line up versus Ivy Lightweight eights. When the Lightweights no longer have to make weight, they are very competitive. Very fit athletes recently dining on cheeseburgers can go very fast.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Just finished recording a sensational podcast with Michelle today , a lot of what is posted here is addressed.
porsche5k
Veteran

Post by porsche5k »

lt.wolf wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:31 pm Just finished recording a sensational podcast with Michelle today , a lot of what is posted here is addressed.
Looking forward to it!
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Join silver medalist Michelle Sechser and I in an engaging podcast episode as she delves into the world of rowing, sharing insights from her training journey with coaches like Josy and Casey Galvanek.

Michelle brings transparency to the discussion, exploring thoughts on Worlds, The Charles, Fall Speed Orders, camps, and the unique bond among lightweight and open women athletes.

Discover the financial landscape and the commitment from US Rowing to the lightweight women's 2x. Michelle opens up about her rowing influences and the "GB rivalry," shedding light on efforts to close the gap and GB Crew's recognition as Crew of the Year by World Rowing.

Learn about Amanda's leadership and Josy's program, as well as the meticulous monitoring of training, recovery, and performance.

As the last dance for the lightweights approaches, Michelle discusses rowing for Tulsa, eyeing the next level, and the journey beyond. Uncover Michelle's sports loyalties, coaching aspirations, and the future of lightweight rowing, including potential pivots to beach sprint and more.

The conversation extends beyond racing results, exploring life after the Olympics, both professionally and personally. Michelle shares her hopes and aspirations for the upcoming Olympic Games, offering a glimpse into the multifaceted world of an elite athlete with a passion for rowing.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/r ... 0640041968
Attachments
28AF4711-62DE-433F-BF9B-BD76BF2147F6.jpeg
28AF4711-62DE-433F-BF9B-BD76BF2147F6.jpeg (519.71 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

I enjoyed the podcast. What makes successful Olympians is not just great talent but their rare ability to endure the highs and lows of the journey. But honestly most of the comments made were similar to what any top athlete says about their coaches and the system while they are in it.

More telling will be the Olympic results and what is said afterward. I am optimistic.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

4 USA lightweight women weighed in a did a 2k test this morning

Group average 6:59

Sescher 6:55.2
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

fullmetal wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:14 am If Josy sent a 5'3" rower to race the W2x at worlds, nothing less than a medal, possibly only gold, would have saved him from this board's collective ridicule and the wrath of USRowing as a whole. Imagine the second-guessing: "we could have gotten gold if he'd sent [xyz] instead. What was he thinking?"

He's not being paid to throw Hail Marys to Justin Jefferson or DeAndre Hopkins, as good as they are. He's being paid to send the crews with the best chance to medal. I love a good underdog story, but Josy has to make decisions that most/all his athletes will respect, even those he doesn't send.
Four of the fastest eight scullers are lightweights. Anyone still want to talk about body types?
?
Screenshot 2024-02-18 180043.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-18 180043.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 379 times
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Isn't this just evidence that lightweights can compete without a separate category? These are amazing athletes, I am wildly impressed by the light women's group as it stands and they have outstanding technique. Add in GB, and it's awesome technically. US/GB LW2 is the most compelling battle of the cycle.

But doesn't this all kind of show that they could just not bother with weight/weigh ins and be highly competitive?
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

FullSend wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:15 pm Isn't this just evidence that lightweights can compete without a separate category? These are amazing athletes, I am wildly impressed by the light women's group as it stands and they have outstanding technique. Add in GB, and it's awesome technically. US/GB LW2 is the most compelling battle of the cycle.

But doesn't this all kind of show that they could just not bother with weight/weigh ins and be highly competitive?
No.

Not if you have a national team rowing director who talks openly about needing to have a certain body type to be successful in the sport. The smaller frame rowers are cut out by prejudice.
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

crewu wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:06 pm Four of the fastest eight scullers are lightweights. Anyone still want to talk about body types?
You sure seem to want to, since it's all you can talk about in your comments.

No one:
Absolutely no one:
You: ANYONE WANT TO TALK ABOUT BODY TYPES NOW!?!?!?!?!?

WBTs are on average about 7s between HWTs and LWTs. It shouldn't be surprising or new that US women LWTs should be within that margin at a WSO to anyone except those looking to tilt at windmills.