Henry Blakemore - London, UK
Phillips Exeter, California Rowing Club

Nick Gonzalez - Long Beach, CA
Newport Crew, USA Junior National Team

Quinn Cooney - Redmond, WA
University of Washington/Sammamish Rowing, OKC High Performance Team

Viktor Popovic - Belgrade, Serbia
The Third Belgrade Grammar School, Serbia Junior National Team

Could Columbia now be on the rise just as Yale was when Steve G took over? Great city, great school? It will take a few years but this might make the next few years more interesting?
gamestop
Elite

Re: 23-24 Outlook

Post by gamestop »

Columbia is, fittingly, the NY Knicks of collegiate men's rowing: So much interest, so many attempts at hype, everyone ready to declare this is the turnaround, this is the year - only to be met with the reality that in the last decade they are a mediocre team.

And just like the Knicks, any indicator that something positive is happening means lets parade outside of MSG, even though they actually haven't had decent results since 2016 when their V8 was 9th at IRA, and even that year I don't think they won a single cup race.

The only thing missing is a rant delivered from Stephen A., so here you go:

Now let me be very clear, the Columbia University Men's Heavyweight Rowing program has at times had success, they are one of the most storied programs in one of the most storied rowing leagues, and Tom T's resume speaks for itself. However. After one of the most mediocre runs in the last decade, and a pitiful performance at this years IRA, YOU MEAN TO TELL ME, that they can get on the same track as YALE, who has a 7 YEAR WINNING STREAK AT EASTERN SPRINTS?? Preposterous, ludicrous and insulting.

Can Columbia actually beat someone and have that be the indicator that the ship is being righted?
TheNatureBoy
Pre-Elite

Post by TheNatureBoy »

gamestop wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:26 am Columbia is, fittingly, the NY Knicks of collegiate men's rowing: So much interest, so many attempts at hype, everyone ready to declare this is the turnaround, this is the year - only to be met with the reality that in the last decade they are a mediocre team.

And just like the Knicks, any indicator that something positive is happening means lets parade outside of MSG, even though they actually haven't had decent results since 2016 when their V8 was 9th at IRA, and even that year I don't think they won a single cup race.

The only thing missing is a rant delivered from Stephen A., so here you go:

Now let me be very clear, the Columbia University Men's Heavyweight Rowing program has at times had success, they are one of the most storied programs in one of the most storied rowing leagues, and Tom T's resume speaks for itself. However. After one of the most mediocre runs in the last decade, and a pitiful performance at this years IRA, YOU MEAN TO TELL ME, that they can get on the same track as YALE, who has a 7 YEAR WINNING STREAK AT EASTERN SPRINTS?? Preposterous, ludicrous and insulting.

Can Columbia actually beat someone and have that be the indicator that the ship is being righted?
Yale didn't have a magic turned around in Gladstone's first year either; they were in the petites at both Sprints and IRAs.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

For the time being the hwts should focus on being the top crew in their own boathouse. Nevermind climbing the hwt pecking order.
jrd
Varsity

Post by jrd »

socalstroke wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:17 pm For the time being the hwts should focus on being the top crew in their own boathouse. Nevermind climbing the hwt pecking order.
Always admirable to aspire to the highest competitive standard. Here's to those who do.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

The point is Columbia hvys need to start somewhere. You can aspire to the top but you don't jump from C final to A final very often.

Yale was what, 4 years until they won Sprints? Even then they missed A final at IRAs and bounced back with that Ladies Plate race against UW that really announced their arrival to the absolute top
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

Can Columbia do it? Sure. But ultimately I think NYC is a tough town to build a consistently top 3 men’s heavyweight rowing program.

Will they be better under Tom? Absolutely.

Can they win some medals? Likely at some point.

Will they be consistently in the medals like Yale, UW? Rooting for them but I wouldn’t put a lot of money on it.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Interesting mix of recruits. A few with results and some potential diamonds in the rough, i.e. 6'5"+ in the 6:30s.