HOT & NOT: 20th March

fullmetal
Old timer

Re: HOT & NOT: 20th March

Post by fullmetal »

I won't let one unfathomably dumb letter from PETA color everything they do. Their hearts are generally in the right place, although a few of them go off the deep end.
Pond Hopper
JV

Post by Pond Hopper »

The problem with the deep end is normalization of the unfathomable, e.g., Penn’s non-binary swim team.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Pond Hopper wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:31 pm The problem with the deep end is normalization of the unfathomable, e.g., Penn’s non-binary swim team.
Got dragged from PETA back into this...oof...

Which part is unfathomable? That trans people exist and want to take part in sports? Or that polarizing, emotionally manipulating voices are demanding all-or-nothing solutions to the issue of trans athletes competing at high levels?

If the issue is male/testosterone-driven puberty, then can we find a solution in light of the imminent/threatened criminalization of healthcare workers who offer pre-pubescent gender-affirming therapy?

If we are saying puberty defines athletic potential but we are also shutting down access to pre-pubescent gender affirmation therapies, then it really sounds like we just don't like trans people in sports.

Maybe it's just me being younger than 50, or my experience traveling the world, but the spectrum of LGBT humanity seems pretty normal to me. There are seven billion people in the world. It's not crazy to think that there are folks out there who have different aspects of humanity than me.

We do need to talk about women's sports, but it's not a good faith conversation if don't start with acknowledging the right of trans athletes to compete in sport.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

If a 12 year old swore up and down that they identified as a double amputee and needed their legs removed, what should medical professionals do?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Sent in from a friend of the site

“Petting a fish”
“Coaxing a clam”
“Tickling the turtle”
“Flogging the dolphin”
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

rowing wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:27 am Now on the PETA UK web and social.

The crown for dumbest f-cking people on the planet is now returned to England after an unprecedented six year stay on American shores.
Not sure, having seen the congressional hearing on Tik Tok I think the US still hold that title
The older I get, the better I was
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

lt.wolf wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:57 pm Sent in from a friend of the site

“Petting a fish”
“Coaxing a clam”
“Tickling the turtle”
“Flogging the dolphin”
These seem somewhat risque for use on this board. Am I too sensitive?
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

rowing wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:17 pm If a 12 year old swore up and down that they identified as a double amputee and needed their legs removed, what should medical professionals do?
That’s actually a known condition, Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID)
“describes the extremely rare phenomenon of persons who desire the amputation of one or more healthy limbs or who desire a paralysis. Some of these persons mutilate themselves; others ask surgeons for an amputation or for the transection of their spinal cord.”
The older I get, the better I was
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Conversely, phantom limb sensation is a widely known phenomenon among amputees. I first heard about it from reporting on wounded veterans from the Iraq/Afghanistan theaters.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

fatsculler wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:17 pm
rowing wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:17 pm If a 12 year old swore up and down that they identified as a double amputee and needed their legs removed, what should medical professionals do?
“describes the extremely rare phenomenon of persons who desire the amputation of one or more healthy limbs or who desire a paralysis. Some of these persons mutilate themselves; others ask surgeons for an amputation or for the transection of their spinal cord.”
Go on.....finish answering the question.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

rowing wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:49 am
fatsculler wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:17 pm
Go on.....finish answering the question.
At the moment, there isn’t a known cure or treatment, but Saetta noted that for those who did achieve amputations, they “only regret to not have it done sooner.”
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/health/b ... index.html

Let's be clear though. We shouldn't be approaching trans identities as disorders any more than we shouldn't approach left-handedness as a disorder.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Ummmm....no.
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

fatsculler wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:31 am NOT: some people have way too much time on their hands. A genuine letter to the Chairman of British Rowing from PETA
9A2A78BC-DBBF-4DE3-8DFD-87641A4AC80C.jpeg
From Reddit: