2023 Coaching Carousel

ieatergsforbreakfast
Veteran

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Post by ieatergsforbreakfast »

wild to imagine you sweep IRAs (first time ever, is that correct?) and still feel the need to turnover your staff.
Fear is only a four letter word.
ieatergsforbreakfast
Veteran

Post by ieatergsforbreakfast »

Faster-n-faster wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:52 pm Jason was dismissed shortly after IRAs. It’s unclear why. I think he’ll do great somewhere else. Penn and Dartmouth are looking.

Edit: Dartmouth has a hire (someone else). Unconfirmed.
edit: deleted
Fear is only a four letter word.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Eastcoast rower
Novice

Post by Eastcoast rower »

Didn’t see that coming. Any ideas on replacement? Hoopman?
JustAnotherDude
Novice

Post by JustAnotherDude »

Wisconsin has consistently been an IRA C/D level final crew over the last decade. Don't think Hoopman taking control would change results very much considering he has been a long time assistant for Clark. Huge opportunity for Wisco to make a splash hire and turn the program for future success. Curious to see which route they will take.
penny1
Novice

Post by penny1 »

Elefant to Princeton.
andpaddle
Varsity

Post by andpaddle »

JustAnotherDude wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:11 pm Wisconsin has consistently been an IRA C/D level final crew over the last decade. Don't think Hoopman taking control would change results very much considering he has been a long time assistant for Clark. Huge opportunity for Wisco to make a splash hire and turn the program for future success. Curious to see which route they will take.
Doesn’t feel like a splash that’s a major change from Clark is likely when Clark is presumably making the hire as DOR
porsche5k
Veteran

Post by porsche5k »

I'd be surprised if it is not Beau Hoopman. He has put his time in there, is Wisconsin through and through, and has an Olympic gold.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

andpaddle wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:15 pm
JustAnotherDude wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:11 pm Wisconsin has consistently been an IRA C/D level final crew over the last decade. Don't think Hoopman taking control would change results very much considering he has been a long time assistant for Clark. Huge opportunity for Wisco to make a splash hire and turn the program for future success. Curious to see which route they will take.
Doesn’t feel like a splash that’s a major change from Clark is likely when Clark is presumably making the hire as DOR
I don't think Clark and Co. get enough credit. With no scholarships and a frozen lake, how is a successor going to move the needle?

another question for someone....scholarship issue aside, wisco gets great financial support from the athletic dept. I think they cover almost all the program's expenses. Wisco has also raised more than half of a $25M endowment target ( I assume that encompasses all 3 squads). What are the endowment funds earmarked for?
3V1x
Novice

Post by 3V1x »

socalstroke wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:00 am
I don't think Clark and Co. get enough credit. With no scholarships and a frozen lake, how is a successor going to move the needle?

another question for someone....scholarship issue aside, wisco gets great financial support from the athletic dept. I think they cover almost all the program's expenses. Wisco has also raised more than half of a $25M endowment target ( I assume that encompasses all 3 squads). What are the endowment funds earmarked for?
Agree that Wisco and other schools for that matter are in a tough spot Re recruiting; the Ivy brand is very powerful and what kid wouldn’t want to go to Cal?

A quick scan of the 21-22 roster shows no internationals…Madison is a great town but internationals likely prefer big cities, Ivies, or SoCal.

On the plus side Wisco has scholarship money available via multiple channels…”merit” based is just one. Wisconsin’s also pretty inexpensive compared to the big private universities.

Re the endowment, If Wisco follows endowment policies in place at other schools, the $25M will yield 4% or so; the University keeps any yield over 4%. A million bucks doesn’t go that far these days.

Net is without international kids Wisconsin is in a tough spot.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

3V1x wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:19 am

Re the endowment, If Wisco follows endowment policies in place at other schools, the $25M will yield 4% or so; the University keeps any yield over 4%. A million bucks doesn’t go that far these days.

true. $1M split 3 ways is not a lot but they don't have to cover budget gaps like other programs. Cal's fundraising makes up more than half of their annual budget, with a goal to fund 70% of annual expenses. NU has an annual operating gap of ~150K. UW endowments cover about 1/4 of annual expenditures, some of which other programs can only dream of. Curious what the Badgers have in mind?
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

3V1x wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:19 am
socalstroke wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:00 am

Agree that Wisco and other schools for that matter are in a tough spot Re recruiting; the Ivy brand is very powerful and what kid wouldn’t want to go to Cal?

A quick scan of the 21-22 roster shows no internationals…Madison is a great town but internationals likely prefer big cities, Ivies, or SoCal.

On the plus side Wisco has scholarship money available via multiple channels…”merit” based is just one. Wisconsin’s also pretty inexpensive compared to the big private universities.

Net is without international kids Wisconsin is in a tough spot.
You need athletic aid to get foreign athletes. Wisconsin would quickly be as good as NU with 18 scholarships, but I don’t think there is an appetite for that level of investment.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Sabrina Boher and Jack Smith to Dartmouth
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvFwOEqRbQt ... BiNWFlZA==
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Seems like a great pair of hires for Dartmouth. Interesting that Bohrer is being given an opportunity to coach for a high level men's team. Perhaps no available women's position or offer was equally as attractive (she is a Dartmouth alumna). Who are the other notable women who have coached men's teams aside from Linda Muri?
eeoyre
Elite

Post by eeoyre »

fullmetal wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:26 am Seems like a great pair of hires for Dartmouth. Interesting that Bohrer is being given an opportunity to coach for a high level men's team. Perhaps no available women's position or offer was equally as attractive (she is a Dartmouth alumna). Who are the other notable women who have coached men's teams aside from Linda Muri?
Emily Regan at BU right now.