Time to Bring the Men's Squad Back East

Moderators: lt.wolf, YouGotMobjacked

ROWBOTTOM
Varsity

Re: Time to Bring the Men's Squad Back East

Post by ROWBOTTOM »

[quote="Mango"]I am pretty sure that when Teti was named HC part of his contingency was that he stay out in Oakland. McLaren took the team to Chula Vista in something like 2010.

USR has overstayed their welcome on Carnegie on a few occasions. You can only be guests in somebody elses boathouse for so long. I believe that Josy was trying to get some men to choose Mercer over some of the other satellite sites, but nobody bit.

This has nothing to do with any secret Amanda Kraus initiative.[/quote]

Amanda doesn't have a secret agenda. She is top-down consensus, dislikes negative press, is all about change. The questionable part is that she probably used Mike/Tom's comp packages as leverage to get more for herself, then off-loaded them. Maybe tie her bonus to medals?

Next questions: How many boats qualify this summer and how well? Will be interesting to see how many Tokyo athletes are there and have gotten faster.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Luke McGee coached the 2016 Olympic squad

https://brownbears.com/news/2016/5/27/5 ... _1826.aspx

In my mind neither Luke or Volp should have been let go
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

I must have been confusing Tim's 2012? I thought Teti stepped in for both for some reason.

Pay no mind to the idiot in the corner....
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Luke had mixed reviews at best from the athletes iirc, and there definitely was criticism.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Do you expect every national team candidate to be happy with the process?

I know gold and bronze Olympic medalist who are still fussy
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

I think the common element was in both 2012 and 2016, the men's eight had failed to qualify in the prior year and had to go through FOQR.

https://worldrowing.com/event/2012-fisa ... witzerland

The Teti "to the rescue" story was only in 2012 though, and for fair balance it was the McLaren M4- that took the only medal for the men's squad. The Teti M8+ finished 0.3 seconds out of the medals in London.

After winning the FOQR IN 2016, the McGee M8+ ended up 2.64 seconds out of the medals at in Rio.
Sarge
Elite

Post by Sarge »

Wait a minute...I thought we were all training at clubs and gathering from time to time to form the team along the way. From what I know, there is already a "Pool" and athletes can come and go from the pool. The team will be selected from the pool and then boats will be selected from the team. Please let's get away from the centralized training center idea. There is no Oakland TC. It is CRC. There shouldn't be a PTC. I don't know why USRowing perpetuates that thing.

The issue seems to be that a good portion of the men want to be at CRC because the fastest guys are there. And that's ok. I do think that the National Team coaches should come from a pool as well...and would likely be the selected group from the pool of clubs that have athletes on board. Don't we all agree (or most of us) that having the ability to carve out and build a life outside of rowing is important for rowing longevity? Hanging out for years living as a guest in someone's house is no way to spend 8 years post grad from college.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Your "pool" is all theory and the reality is CRC is the training center because like it or not this sport needs one.

Why?

Because there is no 'league' in rowing to draw national team from. And for most people this sport is too mind numbingly boring to do on your own. So, no high performance center then no results. The current CEO can put her head in the sand on this and the high performance committee can pretend otherwise and feel important in their role but this is the undisputable reality.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

I think part of the issue is that there is a TC for the women. And the men row for Teti/Kielt for like 8 months, then live in a hotel in NJ for another 2-3 months.

Most of the women rowed for, traveled with, and in part were selected by Laurel last year. That is not the case for the guys at CRC.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

[quote="crewu"]Your "pool" is all theory and the reality is CRC is the training center because like it or not this sport needs one.

Why?

Because there is no 'league' in rowing to draw national team from. And for most people this sport is too mind numbingly boring to do on your own. So, no high performance center then no results. The current CEO can put her head in the sand on this and the high performance committee can pretend otherwise and feel important in their role but this is the undisputable reality.[/quote

Still waiting to hear what benefit a move will provide? Do you just want to see someone other than Teti coaching?
Faster-n-faster
Pre-Elite

Post by Faster-n-faster »

I would like the teams all in one place. When I think about it though, there’s no reason they need to be together other than maybe some cost sharing benefits.

The thing is, the top guys are happy where they are. They trust the coaches at CRC and that contributes to a critical mass there. They are largely following Josy’s training plan at the moment.

I think San Diego is the best place overall, but the costs there are prohibitive. The USOC sold the training center there and the city now runs it and charges an arm and a leg.

60 degrees and sunny today on the estuary. Beats princeton. It also beats uprooting your life and moving to San Diego for a few months out of the year. They used to even have to pay for their own plane tickets out there. Classic.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

Faster, I believe CRC also helps fit the bill for all things rowing for these guys. So when they go to Croatia to train, HRR, or even Canadian Henley etc. it gets covered in full, which is pretty remarkable.

I don't believe they paid for their hotels for months in NJ though.

Just in a general sense, it is wild to me that USR does not own their own boathouse. Never really has, and has never made it a priority to do so. The USNT is always a guest somewhere.
ROWBOTTOM
Varsity

Post by ROWBOTTOM »

Well, once upon a time in Princeton, the men started using a few racks at the college boathouse, where the coach worked 9-5. Then an entrepreneurial group helped the coach raise a bunch of money to build a home for the national team on the lake down the street. Then it got too small for both the women and men and masters and juniors and general public. So PNRA was supposed to be that home for the NT, then it got complicated.
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

Looking back at the last 10 Olympics (40 years), the US M8+ has won two bronzes, one silver, one gold. Is it possible we simply expect too much out? Historical results don't exactly suggest that there should be high expectations. Coaches have come and gone, rowers have come and gone, yet the results don't change all that much save one or two times.
Faster-n-faster
Pre-Elite

Post by Faster-n-faster »

I know USRowing and CRC foot the bill. CRC actually supports its athletes better financially than USRowing does

What I meant was that when the team(s) used to go to San Diego for the winter it meant being in a training camp environment for a long time and also kind of living out of a suitcase for months. With the men in Oakland they have year-round rowing without going anywhere.

They can “go-home” every day.

We also had this whole “they need jobs!” debate a few years ago. I don’t think you should have a job if you want to be the best but regardless, good luck holding that down (in the majority of professions) while scooting off to San diego or somewhere else for the winter.