Time to Bring the Men's Squad Back East

Moderators: lt.wolf, YouGotMobjacked

crewu
Old timer

Time to Bring the Men's Squad Back East

Post by crewu »

The results since the men's squad have been on the west coast have been abysmal. At this point it doesn't matter what the advantages are, the results are simply not there. It is way past time to bring the squad back to the east coast.
rowing
Old timer

Re: Time to Bring the Men's Squad Back East

Post by rowing »

Where?
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

I think USR had some issues with cohesion, logistics, and cost last year. I think the women were the least effected since their full time coach was also their coach at Worlds and a huge part of their selection process. Both had very similar results last year.

I don't think Oakland is the problem. I think that TC needs more advisement, oversight, and inclusion in the process. The current set up is Teti has full control of the group for 8 months, then USR has full control for 4 months. The process sucks.

I thought the men had a promising Olympic cycle, 2 big boats in the GF, a promising sculling group, and a number of returning Olympians.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Every Olympic cycle is "promising".
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

Not the ones with Volp and/or Luke.
eeoyre
Elite

Post by eeoyre »

2013: Bronze in M8 and M4-
2014: 4th M8, 2nd M4-
2022: 4th M8, 10th M4-.

You were saying?

Edit: to be clear, that's in reference to Mango trying to take a shot at Luke/Volp, and not the current state of things.
Last edited by eeoyre on Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pond Hopper
JV

Post by Pond Hopper »

2022 M4- training locations: Boston, Princeton, NYC & Providence.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

Luke got fired mid cycle, Teti had to qualify the 8 last minute, and Volp didn’t put the 4- in the final despite a promising (and deteriorating) result early in the cycle. And it cost USR something stupid like $4-500k per year in salary.

Rio was a total disaster for the men. I thought everybody who pays attention to international rowing was in full agreement on that.

Teti was back to being HC for Tokyo. 2020 was much more stable and a much better result than the previous cycle. Most federations would be happy to have a pairing of Teti/McLaren coaching the 8+ and 4-.

I’m not claiming that we can’t upgrade from Teti. I’m not even saying that we shouldn’t. But I also don’t think he, nor his location are THE problem with men’s rowing at the moment.
eeoyre
Elite

Post by eeoyre »

Rio: 4-, 7th; 8+ 4th
Tokyo: 4- 5th*, 8+ 4th..

Much better result than the previous cycle?

*if they had a more stable rudder could have medalled, but that's part of coaching.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

The WHERE wasn't the issue, so much as the WHY.

WHY were the men asked to leave Carnegie & Mercer?
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Are you suggesting there might be a scandal that Laura Kraus is covering up? Juicy stuff. The cover up usually gets you in more trouble than the scandal itself.
Long'n Strong
Old timer

Post by Long'n Strong »

[quote="crewu"]Are you suggesting there might be a scandal that Laura Kraus is covering up? Juicy stuff. The cover up usually gets you in more trouble than the scandal itself.[/quote]

Who she?
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

I am pretty sure that when Teti was named HC part of his contingency was that he stay out in Oakland. McLaren took the team to Chula Vista in something like 2010.

USR has overstayed their welcome on Carnegie on a few occasions. You can only be guests in somebody elses boathouse for so long. I believe that Josy was trying to get some men to choose Mercer over some of the other satellite sites, but nobody bit.

This has nothing to do with any secret Amanda Kraus initiative.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

Yes 2 GF is better than a petite final and a grand. Also, neither Luke nor Volp coached that 8. Luke was fired. The boat didn't qualify. Teti came in, selected and got that 8 in the GF. The 4- got worse at every World Champs until Rio.

I didn't come to tout Teti or poop on Luke/Bryan. The OP was about how the men have been a disaster since moving out west. The men centralized out there in 2017 after a totally botched cycle from previous regime (Luke and Bryan). Last cycle was better than the previous. I am not sure how any of that is debatable.

Mike and Tim are two of the best boat (8+/4-) coaches in the game, but they are not great administrators. USR paid big money for an admin. Working to help manage and guide what is going on out west seems like the low hanging fruit.
LoreMaster1
Old timer

Post by LoreMaster1 »

I thought Luke coached the eight through Rio (having already signed a contract for the next quadrennial BEFORE the Games), then was let go/convinced to retire after the lackluster performance? I didn’t think Teti coached in 2016.