2023 Boat Race

Moderator: fatsculler

crewu
Old timer

Re: 2023 Boat Race

Post by crewu »

Stewie Griffin Should Cox wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:05 pm
The mistake made was the Oxford cox semi following and then not. She lost the stream and didn’t really get out of the chop. The water wasn’t that bad, 1987 was much worse
If Oxford had stayed in the stream I think they would have rejoined level

That half length was the difference
I have not gone back to rewatch the race a second time but I thought it was more like a length lead coming away from the wall and Cambridge were then able to relax a bit more and just sit on Oxford, allowing them to close the margin somewhat but stay in control. That was just fantastic coxing by Cambridge and frightfully novice and sheep like by Oxford. I do think Cambridge's cox placed his crew in the winning position and Oxford very well could have won otherwise.

Women's race: you have to give props to Oxford for truly having a go at it in the early stages. Sure looked a bit forced but the crew was clearly racing above themselves. The serious chop then really hurt Oxford women more than Cambridge. I wonder if the Dark Blues were rigged too low as I recall the Oxford stroke seat's shaft being about a third under water on the drive.

Cambridge women of course did everything right. Immense confidence in themselves as a crew and never looked in the slightest bit rattled when behind. A clear winner on the day. My favorite Boat Race year yet.
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

Re the women's race: I agree with Matthew Holland's post-race comments about the dubious line taken by the umpire approaching Hammersmith. Oxford actually went under the 2nd lamppost , with Cambridge well inside. But Smith spent the whole approach warning Cambridge. With them out in front , Trotman must have been pretty bemused about being constantly called out, while taking what to him must have looked a pretty standard line.

Re the men's race: this is raced pretty near the top of the flood tide now that the women's race is on the same day. Which means a) more water over the flats, and b) less stream out wide. I wonder if heading over the flats will become a more common event.

Also, no mention was made on commentary about Oxford making no impact on the Surrey bend. In fact, the Surrey bend seems to have lost it's cachet. Winners these days rarely make their decisive move there now.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

So how many times did the umpire call out “Cambridge “ during the race ?
rowingtech09
Pre-Elite

Post by rowingtech09 »

The thing that's obvious if you've been in the race is that the umpire is far from infallible and there are always moments where you feel like you're getting the short end of the stick/getting warned when you feel like you're in the right place or trying to get to the right place. So handling that is part of the game.

Re: surrey, one thing I DO feel is that umpires often steer the race too close to the surrey bank which diminishes the benefits of being on the inside of the bend. I haven't rewatched this year's race to see if was a factor, though.