USR- All things Org, Branding, Marketing, Policies, Tech, etc.

Moderators: lt.wolf, YouGotMobjacked

Mango
Old timer

USR- All things Org, Branding, Marketing, Policies, Tech, etc.

Post by Mango »

Stuff keeps getting brought up in all sorts of other threads. I thought I would create a place where there is one throat to choke.

I quickly turned on the Youtube channel for Youths, and I have to say Al Delsordo is doing a tremendous job in Sarasota. The broadcast looks professional. He has guest coaches, boat reps, athletes, etc, popping in and out. He is going over live race results and talking about specific programs. The whole thing has a very ESPN "College Game Day" feel to it.

I hope USR keeps investing in this sort of race content going forward. We should have this at all of our Championship regattas. Trials, Youths, Clubs, NCAA's, and IRA's. I really enjoyed it.
sandor
Old timer

Re: USR- All things Org, Branding, Marketing, Policies, Tech, etc.

Post by sandor »

Admission starting @ $89 helps bring in some cash - that's more that an 8-day general admission pass for 2017 Worlds...

I wonder how much trickle down experience/perspective was gained at Benderson due to NBC filming events for the national team, World Rowing being there for Worlds, etc.
ATV-mounted cameras on the course side track, full production booths, people people people...
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Has IRA been to Sarasota yet? Not particularly central for any of the programs, but it's a great spot
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

sandor wrote:Admission starting @ $89 helps bring in some cash - that's more that an 8-day general admission pass for 2017 Worlds...

I wonder how much trickle down experience/perspective was gained at Benderson due to NBC filming events for the national team, World Rowing being there for Worlds, etc.
ATV-mounted cameras on the course side track, full production booths, people people people...

I didn't realize. Jesus.

So I still like the content. But I would much rather the entry fee's go up to either include admission tickets or to keep the cost of admission down. There are certain costs that USR can increase to help provide a better experience without coming across as a rip off. I grew up playing a lot of hockey and now have friends with kids playing hockey and local tournaments can cost upwards of $1k per team without travel, lodging, etc. Charging $400-$500 per entry for an 8+ isn't crazy when you put into context of other sports. But to charge me $90 to go watch my kid compete, and then forbid me from certain areas unless I pay another $250 seems silly.

But also money is basically meaningless these days so who knows. I know people who spend nearly $100 per week on gas just to go to and from the office these days. $400 per month is the cost of entry just to be employed. So I guess you can watch your kid race for the cost of a tank of gas, which I guess is reasonable? But I think that is a topic for another thread altogether.
Sarge
Elite

Post by Sarge »

I wonder how much of that admission fee goes back to Benderson. I suspect a fair amount. Does anyone know or have experience?
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Mango wrote:
sandor wrote:Admission starting @ $89 helps bring in some cash - that's more that an 8-day general admission pass for 2017 Worlds...

So I still like the content.
Yeah - the armchair discussions on the side of the course & general "feel" of the live stream so far definitely sets a good precedent.
Yulbrenner
Novice

Post by Yulbrenner »

USRowing not doing any favors to its constituency by having the platform assess a 10% "convenience fee".

**Edit** The convenience fee must cover the fact that ticket cost and fees are non-refundable. Great!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 2.38.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 2.38.11 PM.png (53.18 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

Can't wait for Ticketmaster to take over, then the fees will really start to hurt.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Mango wrote:

.. I grew up playing a lot of hockey and now have friends with kids playing hockey and local tournaments can cost upwards of $1k per team without travel, lodging, etc....

I know a couple families traveling down that are multi-child ice hockey families (slowly converting to rowing)

They remark on the "inexpensive" rowing compared to hockey.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

sandor wrote:
Mango wrote:

.. I grew up playing a lot of hockey and now have friends with kids playing hockey and local tournaments can cost upwards of $1k per team without travel, lodging, etc....

I know a couple families traveling down that are multi-child ice hockey families (slowly converting to rowing)

They remark on the "inexpensive" rowing compared to hockey.
Ice time is so expensive especially in the northeast. I have friends who still play in bar league and have puck drop at 1am on weekday nights/mornings. I had 4:30am practices as a kid. My HS had 7 hockey teams, no joke. There are a lot of really good junior teams down south because former players have found out they can get ice time for dirt cheap in Oklahoma, Texas, etc. and take the rest to the bank for profit.

I am not advocating for rowing to be more expensive because it can. But it does seem for a very elitist and rich sport we really bootstrap ourselves for no real good reason. Most teams are in affluent areas, with affluent families, at affluent/private schools. It doesn't seem wild to me for USR to charge $75-$100 per seat to compete at the National Championship for the sake of providing a better product. At quick glance I found a couple local regattas in the $200-$250 range per 8+.
FriarsRowing
Varsity

Post by FriarsRowing »

USRowing coming out with a supportive LGBTQ+ response on the masters nationals venue switch.

I’m frustrated because although they’re clearly trying to do their part I think they’re simultaneously dropping the ball. At YNC they had tent within 100 yards of the Chick-fil-A vendor…

Kudos to USRowing for trying. More needs to be done but in a not so “talkative PR way” but a “just do it quietly behind the scenes way.” In my experience with talking to members of the LGBTQ+ community is that they don’t want so much surface. Just have USRowing work inclusively behind the scenes.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

I love Chick Fil A. Great chicken. Never bothered to ask the bird its politics.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

There's a generational divide between Gen Z rowers and older rowers and their preferences on how USRowing approaches these equity/inclusion issues. I think the older cohort would prefer that substantive, behind-the-scenes work with the various communities while the Gen Z cohort wants public statements (via social media?) that clearly define policy to which they can hold USRowing accountable. I think you need both, but that might take more engagement than USRowing is capable of handling at the moment. I mean, shoot, regatta packets can't even be published on time these days.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

I agree there is a need for both decisive action and boardroom discussions/decisions. Largely I think people as a whole are sick of “thoughts and prayers”.

It’s not just USR. People are going to be upset when an org says “we stand with our LGBT+ community” one day. And the next hosts an event in the very place they made the statement about.

Handling stuff quietly in the background is not an option for a lot of issues in the Trump/post-Trump era. I have to say I certainly do not emphathize with “do it quietly” It just sort of reeks of “sweep it under the rug”.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

I think we have all arrived at the USRowing we wanted. Underfunded, understaffed, overloaded, distracted, and always to blame for everything you don't like, no matter the reality.

How is that not perpetual Christmas for you all?