sandor
Old timer

Bill Manning to PennAC

Post by sandor »

Any comments?

https://www.row2k.com/news/1-25-2022/Pe ... ch/130400/
Penn AC Hires Bill Manning as High Performance Coach PRESS RELEASE

January 25, 2022

Penn AC Rowing Association, a USRowing High Performance Partner Club, is pleased to announce that it has hired Bill Manning as head coach of its High Performance Group, effective February 3, 2022.

“We believe Bill Manning will be a catalyst to cement Philadelphia as one of the top training centers for elite rowers and scullers in the U.S., and to develop athletes that will ultimately win medals at the World Championships and Olympic Games.” said Penn A.C. President Mike Wherley. “Bill brings an incredible track record of coaching success at the elite college level and also with the U.S. National Team, and we expect he will attract athletes to add to our current squad, building a very strong team of highly-motivated men and women.”

“I am absolutely thrilled to be joining Penn AC to focus on developing and supporting brave rowers and scullers pursuing their Olympic dreams,” said Manning. “The club, the Schuylkill Navy, and the greater Philadelphia community have an extraordinary record of achievement. With US Rowing’s renewed emphasis on club rowing, Penn AC is well positioned to continue
producing world class athletes for the USA.”
Scull8tor
JV

Re: Bill Manning to PennAC

Post by Scull8tor »

Is he leaving La Salle University then? The press release leans that way...
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

So, there's some $$$ that came from somewhere for national team success.

I am happily bewildered.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Penn AC is full time. LaSalle will be vacant position
Mandolorian
Varsity

Post by Mandolorian »

lt.wolf wrote:Penn AC is full time. LaSalle will be vacant position
Sucks to be LaSalle. You lose two head coaches over the course of three months. First Garbutt, now Manning. Now the team is sitting there without a head coach a month or two before your spring season.

I get a person trying to move up and find a better position...but to me this is pretty lame, especially by Manning after just being elevated to HC after Garbutt left, to then bail on the team/school.

Speaks a little to the character of the guy...
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Let’s clarify

Manning was never named “Head Coach” at LaSalle. He asked for this and was told “no”. He was named “Interim Head Coach” and paid less than the previous Head Coach. He was never offered the Head Coach position/title.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Mandolorian wrote:
lt.wolf wrote:Penn AC is full time. LaSalle will be vacant position
Sucks to be LaSalle. You lose two head coaches over the course of three months. First Garbutt, now Manning. Now the team is sitting there without a head coach a month or two before your spring season.

I get a person trying to move up and find a better position...but to me this is pretty lame, especially by Manning after just being elevated to HC after Garbutt left, to then bail on the team/school.

Speaks a little to the character of the guy...
Phenomenally bad take, and smells like Crimson dirty work still afoot, trying to manscape their limp post Harry days.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Podcast with Bill Manning posting Sunday 2/20
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/r ... 1337347394

We sit down with Bill Manning, newly appointed Penn AC High Performance Coach for a great discussion .  Topics are US Rowing and club rowing, type of athlete the club is looking for, transition from college to performance club rowing, a look into the 2022 season, philly rowing, working with Josy and more