IRA

Mango
Old timer

Re: IRA

Post by Mango »

Stanford not getting enough credit here. Their margins behind cal this year have been nothing short of impressive. I’m more impressed with them than I am with GW. They had their program cut (then reinstated) and were 3 seconds behind Cal.
Magis12
Pre-Elite

Post by Magis12 »

Mango wrote:Stanford not getting enough credit here. Their margins behind cal this year have been nothing short of impressive. I’m more impressed with them than I am with GW. They had their program cut (then reinstated) and were 3 seconds behind Cal.
Obviously every program in a Covid year is impressive.

With that said, I do think both GW and Stanford deserve a ton of credit for their performances.

Stanford hasn’t been this high at IRAs in awhile. For GW it’s the best placing in program history, I believe, one better than their 13th in 2019.

Major kudos to the guys from both teams. Dartmouth as well for their amazing growth, particularly since they hardly raced this year.
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

Props to the whole IRA show.

Sun: NCAA
Women: NCAA
Men: IRA
Rain: IRA
Wind: IRA
Commentary: IRA (no jabbering on about come backs with 750 to go and the crew is down by 2 lengths)
Video: IRA (especially given the challenges at Mercer; camera on the launch showing rowing as much as possible, rather than drone showing position)
Visceral: IRA (maybe because the cameras are closer and you can feel the effort)
Progression: IRA
Efficiency: IRA
Depth: IRA (no AQs)
Institutional knowledge and tradition: IRA
Dopey call that the petite final claims the "5th and 6th place in the country" for a six boat field in Division 3 when they are only the 5th and 6th place boats at the regatta: NCAA (6 boats: a 4 boat grand and a 2 boat petite?? -- see Efficiency/Progression above)
porsche5k
Veteran

Post by porsche5k »

Mango wrote:Stanford not getting enough credit here. Their margins behind cal this year have been nothing short of impressive. I’m more impressed with them than I am with GW. They had their program cut (then reinstated) and were 3 seconds behind Cal.
+1. Very nice result from Stanford in an especially brutal year for them.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Stanford may not be back for a while. They lost a whole recruiting class during this debacle, and getting walk-ons at a small school is tough. But pour one out for the programs who won't be reinstated...GWU men, UConn women, and who else...?
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

fullmetal wrote:Stanford may not be back for a while. They lost a whole recruiting class during this debacle, and getting walk-ons at a small school is tough. But pour one out for the programs who won't be reinstated...GWU men, UConn women, and who else...?
UConn women won an injunction in court preventing the department from dropping them while their title ix case proceeds.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

I imagine their recruiting has been wrecked as well. And finishing at the bottom of every event in the CAA conference...doesn't bode well. But I do wish them luck in their fight to survive.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

Magis12 wrote:
Obviously every program in a Covid year is impressive.

With that said, I do think both GW and Stanford deserve a ton of credit for their performances.

Stanford hasn’t been this high at IRAs in awhile. For GW it’s the best placing in program history, I believe, one better than their 13th in 2019.

Major kudos to the guys from both teams. Dartmouth as well for their amazing growth, particularly since they hardly raced this year.
This is what I meant. Thank you for translating “mango-isms”. Well done to all.
str8four
Veteran

Post by str8four »

I didn't see any comments on these boards about what happened to the Penn heavyweights fro IRA.

They raced a few times this spring with more than two eights of guys and were on the preliminary IRA entries list. But, by the list of final IRA entries, they scratched down to a V4+ that eventually took 5th behind the 4V guys from UW, Cal and Dartmouth, as well as the 2V guys from BU. Anyone have the scoop as to why they went down to a V4 (coaches decision, team vote, guys weren't committed in this weird year)?
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

str8four wrote:I didn't see any comments on these boards about what happened to the Penn heavyweights fro IRA.

They raced a few times this spring with more than two eights of guys and were on the preliminary IRA entries list. But, by the list of final IRA entries, they scratched down to a V4+ that eventually took 5th behind the 4V guys from UW, Cal and Dartmouth, as well as the 2V guys from BU. Anyone have the scoop as to why they went down to a V4 (coaches decision, team vote, guys weren't committed in this weird year)?
Weren't Temple HWT & Penn LWT were beating them?
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Would also like to know why BU and Stanford LWTs didn't field eights?

Also of note, the Dartmouth V4 were LWTs.