Greg Ruckman, Teti, USRowing legal woes, cont...

Moderators: lt.wolf, YouGotMobjacked

crewu
Old timer

Greg Ruckman, Teti, USRowing legal woes, cont...

Post by crewu »

Have not heard from Greg Ruckman in a while. Reading this story is like being transported back in time all over again.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/14/ ... -cal-coach
rowing
Old timer

Re: Greg Ruckman, Teti, USRowing legal woes, cont...

Post by rowing »

‘’
Last edited by rowing on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

In programs all the way down to the HS level, you can generally look at athlete retention to see if a coach is well liked or not. It's not a perfect, but scores of athletes voluntarily leaving is generally not good.

This quadrennial under Teti it seems more athletes actually came back to the TC and stuck with the TC. Certainly much better than last Olympiad.

Timing sure seems designed for maximum exposure being this close to Olympics.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Maybe Teti to Northeastern after Tokyo?
yeahbuddy
Elite

Post by yeahbuddy »

crewu wrote:Maybe Teti to Northeastern after Tokyo?
Who the hell would want to work for an academic institution these days?

Teti to Canada or New Zealand for a nice pre-retirement gig. Needs to start the glide path to the cabin in the woods.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Tilting at windmills never goes outta style.
eightsaresuperior
Pre-Elite

Post by eightsaresuperior »

Greg Ruckman is such a problem. Does he not realize that doing this OVER and OVER is making things harder on the current athletes? I can only assume he does not have a job and keeps trying to win lawsuits for money. Give it up, dude.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Greg should stop this, he is a two time Olympian, World Champion and that is what I would to see him know for.
This saddens me as I consider him a friend and teammate.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

There are about a handful of athletes, a few prior, one or two current, another who is always bouncing around, who have been driving this anti Teti effort since being cut by him. Wolf you are correct it is sad and unbecoming. Move on. The team is doing well
scullerjonny
Elite

Post by scullerjonny »

eightsaresuperior wrote:Greg Ruckman is such a problem. Does he not realize that doing this OVER and OVER is making things harder on the current athletes? I can only assume he does not have a job and keeps trying to win lawsuits for money. Give it up, dude.
What exactly is his claim that he is making that entitles him to compensation for $$ from US Rowing? I generally agree Greg should let it go and be done with this and move on. However, to my knowledge, Greg has never been out for money against US Rowing and his claims have never been the kind that entitled him to money. His lawsuit was about the right to compete in a trial to go to the Olympics. The remedy there if he did happen to win is to open the LM4- up for trials, not compensation to Greg. I will add that I personally benefited from Greg's lawsuit (but did not know it at the time) in that it forced US Rowing to open all non-camp U23 boats to trials and I (along with some other crews) came back with medals. So his actions have not had universally negative results across the board like everyone seems to think. Greg has never made a claim to my knowledge for $ from US Rowing. Certainly his claims cost US Rowing $ in the form of paying lawyers. But, I don't believe he ever received any personal benefit from any of it. Greg is a very misunderstood person. He'd give the shirt of his back to directly help a fellow athlete, but at the same time many of his actions probably have indirectly harmed some athletes in some ways, but as I said, not universally. For example, as a result of his lawsuit years ago, US Rowing started requiring in their selection procedures that all results of seat racing and race pieces at camps must be posted within a certain timeframe and also now require clear markers for how to earn a camp invite. Why are clear markers and posting times quickly ever a bad thing? My understanding is that it was not universally required before.

Not trying to re-hash the past, but the perception that Greg has been universally bad is not correct. Have his actions been more bad than good? Depends who you are talking to. For me personally, its been more good than bad, but I was in a trials boat and didn't have much interest in the camp, so most of it didn't matter to me. Others would have a different perspective.

But yea, I agree, he should move on. We are lucky to have Teti back and will be even luckier if he stays around.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Edited to protect privacy of athletes
Last edited by rowing on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

Meh, I read this as sort of a nothing-burger. I am unsure if Ruckman has ever been unwilling to put his name on any issues with USRowing. He commented to the reporter, so I don't get the sense he would submit an anonymous complaint.

Clicking on a few links in the article to other articles cited, this just looks like the culmination of a lot of issues with USRowing over the years. Terhaar recently had a complaint. Teti's issues with his coxswain in 2016. A SafeSport attorney is involved looking at the NT and finances. I wouldn't be shocked if another athlete or two filed an anonymous complaint against Mike in the last year or two. With everything else going on it seems more likely that an attorney is doing their due diligence in contacting people with past official grievance's, than Ruckman stirring the pot 13 years later.

Or maybe its Ruckman....
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Back in the day (and likely still today) when investment banks wanted to get rid of a trader or broker who had 'gone a little rogue' but it was too prickly or expensive an issue to handle internally due to contracts, it was sometimes simpler just to throw a bone to the SEC or NYSE and let them "investigate" the trader who was then quickly let go for cause.

Who wants to be the USRowing CEO known for firing Mike Teti? You don't have to be if you can get an outside agency to do it for you.
Amanda Kraus, USRowing’s chief executive officer, said Sunday in an email that the organization requested an outside perspective from USOPC on the rowers’ allegations. She wrote that rowing officials welcome the independent review.
This looks like Teti's last Olympics as a USA coach.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

crewu wrote:This looks like Teti's last Olympics as a USA coach.
I have a feeling you're not too far off here. What a dumpster fire that would create. At this point who does the US even get to be a true lead coach like Teti/Grobler? Callahan runs a big squad chock full of U23/National Team talent, and had big success with the U23s a couple years ago. But he's got a pretty good setup there. If I were him I wouldn't be interested in the cluster*** that is dealing with USRowing full time
eightsaresuperior
Pre-Elite

Post by eightsaresuperior »

FullSend wrote:
crewu wrote:This looks like Teti's last Olympics as a USA coach.
I have a feeling you're not too far off here. What a dumpster fire that would create. At this point who does the US even get to be a true lead coach like Teti/Grobler? Callahan runs a big squad chock full of U23/National Team talent, and had big success with the U23s a couple years ago. But he's got a pretty good setup there. If I were him I wouldn't be interested in the cluster*** that is dealing with USRowing full time
Oh but he would be so good at it. He would build a culture and some serious depth on the team which is VERY NEEDED. The quad couldn't even beat a PennAC boat.