Coaching Carousel 2021

FullSend
Elite

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021

Post by FullSend »

I don't understand anyone dumping on people for trying to make a career of coaching rowing. Just because it probably won't get you $150k+benefits, doesn't keep it from being a worthwhile career.

That said anyone going in to make a career from coaching probably needs to realize that it's going to be highly compensated financially. In a lot of scenarios, you're going to be wearing many hats (coach, fundraiser, organizer, boatman, trailer driver), it's not going to be a 9-5 M-F, and you're gonna have to hustle (summer camps, learn to rows, etc).

People have done it, they are doing it, and they shouldn't be dunked on for going for it. It's a lot more emotionally rewarding than some generic desk job at a corporation.

Other people aren't in a situation where they are comfortable financially to go that route (personally I don't have the balls to give up the stability of my 9-5) and that's fine, but don't $h!t on people who are willing to try.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

The most amusing part of this line of thinking is when the pundits $h!t on folks who have been financially successful. It’s usually the same people who complain that our sport isn’t taken seriously.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Slim wrote:The most amusing part of this line of thinking is when the pundits $h!t on folks who have been financially successful. It’s usually the same people who complain that our sport isn’t taken seriously.
"My field isn't worth a livable wage" tends to be a self fulfilling prophecy. Even worse it keeps people down who are willing to try.
Guy
Varsity

Post by Guy »

fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

The most improved program picks up another great hire. Big Green to the moon.
Guy
Varsity

Post by Guy »

Graham Willoughby Leaving Brown. No longer in the rowing world.
WingedFoot
Pre-Elite

Post by WingedFoot »

fullmetal wrote:The most improved program picks up another great hire. Big Green to the moon.
Is it a great hire? Or is it a great name? Or is a great name a great hire?
gamestop
Elite

Post by gamestop »

It’s definitely a great hire considering it’s a 3rd coaching position for them.

Allen and Monte still driving the ship and they’ve had it going in the right direction, so having someone like Graves is super low risk, and really high upside. I’d wager the third coach on most staffs don’t have his rowing experience, nor have they worked so closely with a legend like Gluckman for the last decade…
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

I mean worst case, Graves can focus on recruiting as he's fresh off the elite circuit and can talk to recruits about what it takes to make it to the big leagues and how Dartmouth can be a training ground for recruits to do the same. Crootin' is a big part of the game these days.

But I wouldn't count him out as a good coach either. He's learned from some of the best.
Magis12
Pre-Elite

Post by Magis12 »

It’s a great hire. John’s got great experience as a racer; plus he’s intelligent, thoughtful, and hardworking. He will be a great recruiter and a great culture addition as well.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

John being a former lightweight racing in the heavy M1x, I'm sure he's spent a lot of time working on squeezing every bit of speed he can (training, nutrition, technique, etc) which should translate really well to coaching.
Lanky&Long
Novice

Post by Lanky&Long »

Washington Assistant Job open

Hobart Associate Head Coach open - did someone leave?
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

University of San Diego-Head Coach
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

FIT Assistant
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
Guy