Will COVID-19 lead Clark Dean into the Olympic Single?

Moderators: lt.wolf, YouGotMobjacked

eeoyre
Elite

Re: Will COVID-19 lead Clark Dean into the Olympic Single?

Post by eeoyre »

crewu wrote:
eeoyre wrote:
crewu wrote:
eeoyre wrote:
crewu wrote:I think that is because most coaches have a vested interest in placing young talent in team boats.

But when you look at rowers who move to the single because of extenuating circumstances look no further than Xeno winning in '96 when he was under 25.

COVID-19 takes the coaches out of the equation. I see Clark being successful if he chooses to.
You do realize that was Xeno's second Olympics in the 1x, right? And that his 1992 showing was a DNS in the B-final?
Sure. He also spent his spring rowing in the novice 8 at Brown that year. The Olympics were an afterthought.

But when he went to world's 2 years later in the single he won silver at 22.
in his 4th year of sculling at the senior level.
OK then let's just look at the current reigning world champion, Oliver Zeidler. Had his first international race in 2018. Made the back end of the final and then won in 2019.

Oh and he just turned 23 when he won. :shock:
Yeah, so he was older, not in his first season of senior sculling, and not making his senior debut in the single in the Olympic year. :) If he can qualify the boat and be in contention for an A final, that will be awesome. That's if he rows the single at all.
limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

Clark may be a phenom but the arguments put forward for why he wouldn't be successful at this stage in his career are good and for why it would be foolish to pursue it right now. Let him take a swing at the single in 2022 and see how his speed stacks up.

There's a reason Davidson went into the sweep group, the eight is the best chance of a medal. On an unrelated note, I think Teti's eights from this quadrennial have had excellent technique, the 2018 boat was particularly impressive, I imagine Clark would make a good six or four seat.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

limegreenspeed wrote:Clark may be a phenom but the arguments put forward for why he wouldn't be successful at this stage in his career are good and for why it would be foolish to pursue it right now. Let him take a swing at the single in 2022 and see how his speed stacks up.

There's a reason Davidson went into the sweep group, the eight is the best chance of a medal. On an unrelated note, I think Teti's eights from this quadrennial have had excellent technique, the 2018 boat was particularly impressive, I imagine Clark would make a good six or four seat.
Why is the eight the best chance at a medal?

Clark enters the senior team and strokes the 4- that had finished 10th (2017) and 13th (2018) to a 5th place in 2018. Same result as the 8+. Although clearly he had a stacked boat as Teti is looking to qualify both boats so I give Teti credit that the eight did what it did.

If I had to pick an 8+ for the Olympics a month ago it would have been:

Bow Peszek 2. Eble 3. Karwoski 4. Dethleps 5. Reed 6. Mead 7. Davison stroke Clark, cox Venonsky

Is Aghai still competing?
limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

crewu wrote:
limegreenspeed wrote:Clark may be a phenom but the arguments put forward for why he wouldn't be successful at this stage in his career are good and for why it would be foolish to pursue it right now. Let him take a swing at the single in 2022 and see how his speed stacks up.

Why is the eight the best chance at a medal?

Clark enters the senior team and strokes the 4- that had finished 10th (2017) and 13th (2018) to a 5th place in 2018. Same result as the 8+. Although clearly he had a stacked boat as Teti is looking to qualify both boats so I give Teti credit that the eight did what it did.

If I had to pick an 8+ for the Olympics a month ago it would have been:

Bow Peszek 2. Eble 3. Karwoski 4. Dethleps 5. Reed 6. Mead 7. Davison stroke Clark, cox Venonsky

Is Aghai still competing?
Did Teti purposely stack his four so both would qualify? I realize there were some fast guys in the four but I assumed the eight was priority.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

I wouldn't say he stacked the 4-.

I'd say he balanced both crews to qualify both.

He's pretty well positioned to produce a medal with this squad.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

crewu wrote:I wouldn't say he stacked the 4-.

I'd say he balanced both crews to qualify both.

He's pretty well positioned to produce a medal with this squad.
I don’t think that’s the case.

Even just watching Clark row in the 4-. He has a bunch of intangibles, but at the elite level it is a little bit different (wonky?). It’s not bad, just seems off in some way. I think he probably strokes the 4- because he’s not a great “follower” with the way the other guys row, and he’s a great boat leader in stroke seat.

A guy like Tom P. Has shown to be a very quality boat mover and teammate over the years. But he does lack a bit of umph/power required for the 8. I think when putting together a priority 4- he is probably firmly in the conversation. In the 8 he is probably a fringe guy that you want to be in there, but just keeps missing out.

Most importantly, don’t discount the face that McLaren coaches the 4-. The value in that can’t be overstated.
limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

How is McLaren still around?
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

limegreenspeed wrote:How is McLaren still around?
Sometimes it's just the right match for the environment. Coaches who don't work well in some conditions are great in others. As shown in professional baseball, basketball, football, international football, Australian rules football. Either that or he has kissed some serious butt.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

McLaren medalled last time he was in the US. Mission completed.

He's a freaking good guy that athletes really respect and respond to. He's not going to try to fcuk over Teti. He's a pro and just here to help.

Great asset and cheers to Teti for making that happen.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

limegreenspeed wrote:How is McLaren still around?
The simplest answer is he is an elite coach even amongst his peers at the Olympic level, but not the greatest administrator. Working under a HC with control of a single boat is a tremendous value for every single NGB out there.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

McLaren is a great coach, and we should be very glad he is here
limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

Just googled him - there's a new video interview with him on Martin McElroy's new youtube page that has a few other notable coaches. Tim is a thoughtful speaker, interesting to hear about how he's working with Teti, there's also some good footage of an eight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlCzMyHYywk

Some footage of Dean and the rest of the four on some rowperfects at 46min
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

To me, reading between the lines, he's looking at the Final Olympic Selection Regatta next year as his Olympic option. He has clearly ruled out returning to California.
catch_&_feather
Novice

Post by catch_&_feather »

Y'all crazy. Three guarantees: Death, Taxes, and the USA Men's 8+ is winning Tokyo Gold