Hot and Not 1/28/2020

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Hot and Not 1/28/2020

Post by lt.wolf »

HOT
Robbie Manson wins premiere single at the NI Club Championships, Stormy was close
Super Bowl of Kansas City and 49’s , go 49s!!!
Puspure 6:34.5 At the IIRC
Donovan 6:04.8 in the light mens category at the IIRC
Northeast waters are clear and people are rowing ..its January 28
Eric Gehrke named as GWU mens head coach
Emma Twigg wins premiere single at the NI CLub Championships

NOT
Passing of Grace Rett
Mahe does not make it out of the heats of the NI Club Championships
Passing of Kobe Bryant and his daughter
Bond loses a pair race

HOT but NOT

UW vs Dutch National Team...sort of the national team and on rp3

As always feel free to add your own
jeesh999
Pre-Elite

Re: Hot and Not 1/28/2020

Post by jeesh999 »

HOT: Isaiah Harrison wins junior men's 2k at Ergomania and breaks the WR by 4 seconds in the process. 5:54.1. Listed at 6-9, 225 on his C2 profile. 16 years old.
Big Koala VI
Varsity

Post by Big Koala VI »

HOT
Carling Zeeman (CAN W1x) also went 6:34.5, at Monster Erg (Victoria BC) (PR of 6:30.3 from 2017)

NOT
Surprisingly few Canadian national team members competed at Monster Erg:
-Only 3 from the men's side - McCabe (5:45.2, PR is 5:41.6 from 2018), Langerfeld, and Jones;
-And it seems just Zeeman from the women's side.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Big Koala VI wrote:HOT
Carling Zeeman (CAN W1x) also went 6:34.5, at Monster Erg (Victoria BC) (PR of 6:30.3 from 2017)

NOT
Surprisingly few Canadian national team members competed at Monster Erg:
-Only 3 from the men's side - McCabe (5:45.2, PR is 5:41.6 from 2018), Langerfeld, and Jones;
-And it seems just Zeeman from the women's side.
Patrick Keane from the LM2x was there too - 6:15.2
Big Koala VI
Varsity

Post by Big Koala VI »

sandor wrote:Patrick Keane from the LM2x was there too - 6:15.2
That's fair, and I do apologize for not including a VERY good result. Josh King and Alex Bernst were there too, just a couple of seconds behind Patrick.

Then the question of where is the rest of the senior national team is even more pronounced: where are the Lattimer brothers and the 3 lightweight women? (who all had decent results this past WRC: 6th-LM1x, 9th-LM2x, 5th-LW1x, and 7th-LW2x)
The entire senior team seems to be training at Shawnigan doing stupid amounts of on-water distance training, which... yeah, it's crucial to have technique to as close to perfect as one can be.. but the races are only 6 minutes.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Big Koala VI wrote:
sandor wrote:Patrick Keane from the LM2x was there too - 6:15.2
That's fair, and I do apologize for not including a VERY good result. Josh King and Alex Bernst were there too, just a couple of seconds behind Patrick.

Then the question of where is the rest of the senior national team is even more pronounced: where are the Lattimer brothers and the 3 lightweight women? (who all had decent results this past WRC: 6th-LM1x, 9th-LM2x, 5th-LW1x, and 7th-LW2x)
The entire senior team seems to be training at Shawnigan doing stupid amounts of on-water distance training, which... yeah, it's crucial to have technique to as close to perfect as one can be.. but the races are only 6 minutes.
But that is Tonks, right?
10-12,000 km a year in small boats.

It is interesting, i was just listening to a lecture by Daniel Plews & he was talking about the anaerobic training they did with Murray & Bond (in addition to the ridiculous LSD), and how B-finals athletes could keep up with the world champs in 30 on 30 off intervals, but when they were forced to utilize more of their anaerobic systems with a simple change to 40 seconds on, 20 off, the lesser athletes were left in the dust.

I am wondering what level of personalized physiologists Canada has as compared to NZ. It seemed like having people like Plews & Laursen monitoring individuals & shaping training around their specific physiological strengths and weaknesses can be quite helpful :D

The devil (and medals) really do lie in the details.
Big Koala VI
Varsity

Post by Big Koala VI »

sandor wrote:But that is Tonks, right?
10-12,000 km a year in small boats.

It is interesting, i was just listening to a lecture by Daniel Plews & he was talking about the anaerobic training they did with Murray & Bond (in addition to the ridiculous LSD), and how B-finals athletes could keep up with the world champs in 30 on 30 off intervals, but when they were forced to utilize more of their anaerobic systems with a simple change to 40 seconds on, 20 off, the lesser athletes were left in the dust.

I am wondering what level of personalized physiologists Canada has as compared to NZ. It seemed like having people like Plews & Laursen monitoring individuals & shaping training around their specific physiological strengths and weaknesses can be quite helpful :D

The devil (and medals) really do lie in the details.
I can't speak to the specific training they are doing this quadrennial (outside of social media posts), the Rio quadrennial did not have individualized training (other than the weights used in the weight room).

If in this quadrennial they have budgeted more in their physiologic department, they may have professionals like Plews & Lauren. Unfortunately I doubt that has happened, as that would require serious increases to the overall budget and I don't think the 2016 Olympic results were that enticing. https://globalnews.ca/news/2885992/rio- ... as-rowers/
Almostflipped
Old timer

Post by Almostflipped »

Where did you hear the lecture from plews?

Hot
Buchan averaging 46spm for the final 500m today
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Not sure rowing 46 plus for the last 500 is a good thing unless you win. Spinning your wheels
limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

Big Koala, Conlin's PR is 5:38, not 5:41, at least from what has been put online. Only Tonks sent his group to monster erg -- the pair, possible mens single, women single and LW men. Terry Paul has the rest of the heavy men and decided not to send his, and as far as I know they're going to send a four.

As for training, define personalized, McElroy certainly had his guys doing personalized steady state intensity based off of lactate levels, contra what Tonks does. Also worth keeping in mind that the likes of Larson and Plews helped run the Kiwi men, both pair and eight, leading into Rio, again without Tonks. It was those two leading the way for the pair and both guys got uber fast on the erg with a program not similar to Tonks, I think from memory they did 70% of the volume that they'd done under Tonks. Training smarter works but only with excellent athletes who know their physiology (when you look at the breakdown of intensity for Eric and Hamish you see how they both did different distributions as per what they knew worked best for them).

Canada has Trent Stellingwerff as PISE, he's done good work with the rowers and I think had some input into what the Canadian men were doing leading up to Rio. Oxford, thanks to their guy Salbany, is at the front of the pack with personalized training, or they were. Load management and proper focus on weaknesses is key, they do it in cycling but some coach still like to get their rocks off on constant head to head -- which works great when you're working with top talent recruited from abroad.
limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

Correction — I don’t think Larson has involvement with the NZ rowing teams, he just runs in the same circles as Plews does re endurance training, ish.
boston_1x
Veteran

Post by boston_1x »

limegreenspeed wrote:Correction — I don’t think Larson has involvement with the NZ rowing teams, he just runs in the same circles as Plews does re endurance training, ish.
Laursen was a physiology manager with High Performance Sport NZ. Plews was in a similar role but more rowing focused. They're both enthusiastic triathlon guys and Plews was Bond's personal coach when he crossed over to cycling. Laursen (I think w Plews collab) has an online course on HIIT specific to rowing, $100. I'll give you a likely insight: There were a # of guys in NZ who could hang with Kiwi Pair at high % of vVO2max for extensive 1min & 2min sets... but when it got to 6x4min, 5x5min, 4x6min... not so much.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Laursen is in western Canada now as well, that is part of why i was wondering the extent of physiological testing (ie is he doing anything with rowers)

https://www.paullaursen.com/new-index

The Plews lecture was here:
https://hiitscience.com/rowing-hiit/

https://www.plewsandprof.com
limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

Revelstoke, wonder how he landed there. Great place to build a beautiful home and fairly affordable place to raise a family with beautiful mountains to ski during the winter and hike during the summer. Sounds like he’s making something of himself outside of the academy.
Big Koala VI
Varsity

Post by Big Koala VI »

limegreenspeed wrote:Big Koala, Conlin's PR is 5:38, not 5:41, at least from what has been put online. Only Tonks sent his group to monster erg -- the pair, possible mens single, women single and LW men. Terry Paul has the rest of the heavy men and decided not to send his, and as far as I know they're going to send a four.

As for training, define personalized, McElroy certainly had his guys doing personalized steady state intensity based off of lactate levels, contra what Tonks does. Also worth keeping in mind that the likes of Larson and Plews helped run the Kiwi men, both pair and eight, leading into Rio, again without Tonks. It was those two leading the way for the pair and both guys got uber fast on the erg with a program not similar to Tonks, I think from memory they did 70% of the volume that they'd done under Tonks. Training smarter works but only with excellent athletes who know their physiology (when you look at the breakdown of intensity for Eric and Hamish you see how they both did different distributions as per what they knew worked best for them).

Canada has Trent Stellingwerff as PISE, he's done good work with the rowers and I think had some input into what the Canadian men were doing leading up to Rio. Oxford, thanks to their guy Salbany, is at the front of the pack with personalized training, or they were. Load management and proper focus on weaknesses is key, they do it in cycling but some coach still like to get their rocks off on constant head to head -- which works great when you're working with top talent recruited from abroad.
Thank you for the insight! I had thought it was sub 5:40 but I could not find that data in what I have collected. I'm assuming that Dave Thompson used the same reasoning as Terry for not sending the heavy women?
Regarding the personalized training, yes, there were the blood lactate level based steady states - I had only meant that there were not differently designed workouts for the individual athletes (say 6x1k vs 4x1500m depending on the athlete) where as the design of the blood lactate was to get as close to 2.0-2.1 mmol/L for the whole team.
Good point about the training smarter, especially when the rowers are pushing themselves everyday to their personal limits.
Trent is a great physiologist (as well as a very nice person :)) and the input he could have given would have be excellent, I'm just not sure if it was implemented successfully (or even attempted) by McElroy. Looking forward, I do hope that Tonks is a coach who can appreciate the success that other programs have had and try to make the best program with the world body of knowledge, instead of using the same philosophy as McElroy of 'my way is best, ignore other's success'.