The 2019 Boat Race

Moderator: fatsculler

fatsculler
Old timer

Re: The 2019 Boat Race

Post by fatsculler »

fullmetal wrote:How hard does a cox have to push a Boat Race umpire to get a DQ? Has a DQ ever happened (or, in recent history)?
The last time it happened on the Tideway was in the Isis v Goldie race of 1990 when Isis were DQ’d. In the men’s Boat Race itself the one and only DQ was in the December race of 1849 when Cambridge got DQ’d.
The older I get, the better I was
Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

fullmetal wrote:How hard does a cox have to push a Boat Race umpire to get a DQ? Has a DQ ever happened (or, in recent history)?
I'll defer to Fats, but it would take a huge pair to disqualify a boat. Stop and restart more likely.

But who knows....maybe Boris Rankin could give it a shot? Oh wait, Leander are not racing, no need.
Splashy
JV

Post by Splashy »

Fats might remember - which year was one of the coxes dropped before the race for, I think, over-aggressive steering in a fixture? I'm thinking '90s, but can't remember whether it was Oxford or Cambridge.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

I feel they should let Oxford Brookes take part and send them both packing
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

lt.wolf wrote:I feel they should let Oxford Brookes take part and send them both packing
Lol, Fats and Stewie will remember that argument with UL in the 1980s.
Old timer

KitD wrote:
lt.wolf wrote:I feel they should let Oxford Brookes take part and send them both packing
Lol, Fats and Stewie will remember that argument with UL in the 1980s.
There was speculation that my eight would take Oxfords place if the mutiny meant oxford didn’t produce a crew.

We would have humiliated Cambridge and did so at Henley going up the enclosures at 24. But honestly I hate the race, it bores me, it’s over rated. The best GB juniors are now more interested in the IRA’s than the boat race and you have a FAR better chance of getting a senior GB vest via Brookes.

For me however, Brookes have not made the big time until they win the Grand. Or at least have the balls to enter it.
Long'n Strong
Old timer

Post by Long'n Strong »

Stewie Griffin Should Cox wrote:
I'll defer to Fats, but it would take a huge pair to disqualify a boat. Stop and restart more likely.

But who knows....maybe Boris Rankin could give it a shot? Oh wait, Leander are not racing, no need.
Rankov
Old timer

Long'n Strong wrote:
Stewie Griffin Should Cox wrote:

Rankov
Him too
sendit
Novice

Post by sendit »

Maybe, but Brookes also had a world champ alum and a former Oxford blue on board, and by the looks of it almost got sent packing themselves.

Why not race their university eight? Maybe Cambridge should toss their Pat Eble and George Nash in next year :lol:
Last edited by sendit on Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

Very sad, just a week before the race:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... -17-years/
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Just as an aside, It was the Head of The River today and Oxford Brookes were overall winners ahead of a Leander crew that was full of GB squad guys. Brookes B (their 1V student boat) was just 3/10ths behind Leander in 3rd. Brookes ended up with 6 boats in the top 20. Remarkable strength in depth.
Long'n Strong
Old timer

Post by Long'n Strong »

fatsculler wrote:Just as an aside, It was the Head of The River today and Oxford Brookes were overall winners ahead of a Leander crew that was full of GB squad guys. Brookes B (their 1V student boat) was just 3/10ths behind Leander in 3rd. Brookes ended up with 6 boats in the top 20. Remarkable strength in depth.
Yes, but how many of the Brookes rowers are students currently enrolled in classes?
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Long'n Strong wrote:
fatsculler wrote:Just as an aside, It was the Head of The River today and Oxford Brookes were overall winners ahead of a Leander crew that was full of GB squad guys. Brookes B (their 1V student boat) was just 3/10ths behind Leander in 3rd. Brookes ended up with 6 boats in the top 20. Remarkable strength in depth.
Yes, but how many of the Brookes rowers are students currently enrolled in classes?
5 of the 6 boats (I believe) are all students. Only the A crew weren’t
Old timer

I think this sums up GB rowing right now. A very deep squad of good towers, but very few GREAT rowers. Women and men.

This was the issue they faced at worlds. You need GReat rowers to go from 4th to 2nd.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

KitD wrote:Very sad, just a week before the race:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... -17-years/
Oh man :(