Tariffs and Boats

Moderator: lt.wolf

fullmetal
Old timer

Re: Tariffs and Boats

Post by fullmetal »

There was a massive outflow of goods from China scheduled right up til Dec. 31st back when the tariffs were originally scheduled to take place. Shipping capacity was completely bought up. I wouldn't be surprised that higher-value goods manufacturers did their best to get products out the door before the year's end.

Now that the tariffs have been kicked down the road another three months, I'm sure there's similar demand on shipping capacity right up til April 1st, though perhaps a little less frantic right now.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

The tariffs have hit and are being applied to pricing etc .

Hopefully a resolution comes soon where the consumer burden is alleviated
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

sandor wrote:Saw a trailer packed to the gills with new (fully plastic wrapped) Kanghua's parked on East River this AM.

It may have just been a "normal" thing & unrelated to the US v. China trade war, but my first thought was hedging bets against price increases.
That Kanghua isn't a bad boat.

Just received a quote to ship a 40 foot container from China to the east coast: $23,000. That is a pretty big price increase in recent times.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

crewu wrote:
sandor wrote:Saw a trailer packed to the gills with new (fully plastic wrapped) Kanghua's parked on East River this AM.

It may have just been a "normal" thing & unrelated to the US v. China trade war, but my first thought was hedging bets against price increases.

Just received a quote to ship a 40 foot container from China to the east coast: $23,000. That is a pretty big price increase in recent times.
What has the cost generally been? I do not know.

I am curious what the impact on Wintech, Kangua, Empacher etc. (any boats that have to be shipped) has been given the issue at the ports. Tarrifs aside, Samsung, LG, Google, Lenovo, etc. have had a hell of a time keeping up with getting stock into the states for a year now. I am selling projects/solutions now that have estimated delivery dates in January and February (which mean I won't be getting any $$$ until after Christmas).
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Mango wrote:
crewu wrote:

I am curious what the impact on Wintech, Kangua, Empacher etc. (any boats that have to be shipped) has been given the issue at the ports. Tarrifs aside, Samsung, LG, Google, Lenovo, etc. have had a hell of a time keeping up with getting stock into the states for a year now. I am selling projects/solutions now that have estimated delivery dates in January and February (which mean I won't be getting any $$$ until after Christmas).
I shipped a 40' container 18 months ago for under $5000.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

crewu wrote:
Mango wrote:
crewu wrote:

Any recent delays getting containers into/out of port?
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Everything is delayed. There is a shortage of product. There is a shortage of containers. And there is a chokehold unloading in the ports of LA and Long Beach, which delays ships continuing on to the east coast. Crazy times.

Could be a terrific time to start a boat building business somewhere in South America but you would still be sourcing your carbon fiber and raw materials from places like China anyway.
cjrows
Novice

Post by cjrows »

crewu wrote:

Kanghua isn't a bad boat? What's your basis? I haven't seen a good one yet.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Would I put an Olympic sculler in a Kanghua? Probably not.

But for $5K a single I'd definitely put a squad of youth, college or even national teamers in them for small boat experience.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Kanghua falls right below Wintech without the finer finishings, components and definitely marketing

If used sparingly on a collegiate level etc I would replace every two to three years, if utilized daily and traveled well I would replace every year.

To be fair a Kanghua did take second in the Grand Master single this year , I expect that sculler to be two -four seconds faster per 500 in something else.
Rocket-Sauce
Pre-Elite

Post by Rocket-Sauce »

lt.wolf wrote:Kanghua falls right below Wintech without the finer finishings, components and definitely marketing

If used sparingly on a collegiate level etc I would replace every two to three years, if utilized daily and traveled well I would replace every year.

To be fair a Kanghua did take second in the Grand Master single this year , I expect that sculler to be two -four seconds faster per 500 in something else.

Respectfully, no.

Kanghua's problem in not quality. They have all Euro fittings. Their riggers, tracks, footstretchers etc are all top quality. If one were to crisiticise them, it would be that their designs are a bit dated.

If you check out Leander Club's club boats, they are all either Empacher or Kanghua. They can afford anything on Earth, so that is quite an endorsement. Yeah, yeah... Eric Simms... But Leander would never buy a slow boat no matter who is selling them. Or a boat that can't stand up to the rigors of training and travel.

Agree 100% that their marketing is pretty unhelpful.
Recipient of 2006 Time Magazine Man of the Year
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

You do you and I will do me.

My turnover of such a fleet would be higher, might be good for spare parts by your words. I could give nothing of what Leander does as they tend to try leverage what they want out of a company. They tried to get WinTech to pay them to row their boats at the Charles a few years ago , it did not go through thankfully.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Rocket-Sauce wrote: Kanghua's problem in not quality. They have all Euro fittings. Their riggers, tracks, footstretchers etc are all top quality. If one were to crisiticise them, it would be that their designs are a bit dated.

Agree 100% that their marketing is pretty unhelpful.
And we all know new "designs" are just BS for selling the latest widget. And marketing? How is the company's marketing going to make you go faster in the last 500m?

I would not buy any of the Chinese eights but when it comes to 4s, 2s or singles the money savings are huge. If you are coaching a youth crew or college JV eight would you feel less pain watching them ram it into the dock in a Kanghua or an Empacher? Or scratch it on the boat on the rack above...or any of the other ways boats get scratched and banged to $h!t. Go to any regional rowing event. Half the shells are scratched to $h!t. If you know that is how they are going to end up after a few years why would you pay twice the price up front?
cjrows
Novice

Post by cjrows »

Those regional teams you refer to usually hang on to boats for 10-20 years or can only afford boats that are 10-20 years old. Hull construction quality matters, not just hardware. I haven't seen a chinese boat last that long with any type of stiffness retained or toughness. In the meantime there is no shortage of 20 year old Vespolis and Resolutes still banging down the race course. Yes, this refers to mostly 8's but I'm just sayin..........
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

crewu wrote:
Mango wrote:
crewu wrote:

WOW! Shipping costs from China to the US have dropped 60% in just the last couple of months.

It will be interesting if inflation follows suit and also falls quickly.