Moderator: fatsculler

Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Re: Head of the River Race 2018

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

fatsculler wrote:
Stewie Griffin Should Cox wrote:
fatsculler wrote:
Stewie Griffin Should Cox wrote:Didn’t they win the Ladies in 2017?
Where is the progression if they do it again?
Progression is to defend the title
Rubbish
If I was in the crew I’d want to step up.
Clip the big boys who are focused on lucern
Get the crowd on your side
Totally disagree...and knowing Brookes they will want to go for the event they think they can win.
Well I can only speak from a personal perspective of having won the ladies plate and I would not have been interested in defending it. I would have wanted to step up or at least do another intermediate event like the visitors

As a coach I was also never interested in repeating wins.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

fatsculler wrote:
fatsculler wrote:
Rubbish
Totally disagree...and knowing Brookes they will want to go for the event they think they can win.
Well I can only speak from a personal perspective of having won the ladies plate and I would not have been interested in defending it. I would have wanted to step up or at least do another intermediate event like the visitors

Brookes will focus on retaining their Ladies Plate and Temple titles...they want Henley titles, not honourable defeats.
The older I get, the better I was
Old timer

fatsculler wrote:
fatsculler wrote:
fatsculler wrote:
Rubbish

Brookes will focus on retaining their Ladies Plate and Temple titles...they want Henley titles, not honourable defeats.
92 UL was athletes 5-12 and could have done the ladies
they are now legends
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

fatsculler wrote:
fatsculler wrote:
fatsculler wrote:
Rubbish

92 UL was athletes 5-12 and could have done the ladies
they are now legends
True, but Spratley is a realist, he wants to deliver medals. I asked him after Brookes won the Head in 2016 whether they would enter the Ladies, his response was “why the hell would we do that, this crew is eligible for the Temple and that’s what we’re targeting”.
They may have representation in the Open events, depending what boat the likes of Matt Tarrant & Jamie Copus race, but the 1st VIII will be gunning for the Ladies.
The older I get, the better I was
jesuitdragonfruit
JV

Post by jesuitdragonfruit »

As their website so boldly claims that they are trying to be the "best university rowing program in the world", I would think that they should rise up against the best crews in the field. However, it is Brookes and this race against Washington this year, will be the biggest race they have ever been in. After they lose to Washington they will most definitely be staying in the Ladies Plate. Also, pretty hard to call a Brookes crew a "university crew" when those guys have been in the program for more than 4 years. Allowing kids to go to grad school at Brookes and stay on or complete their education in 5 years while rowing for all 5 is way different than the US college programs
Splashy
JV

Post by Splashy »

fatsculler wrote: True, but Spratley is a realist, he wants to deliver medals. I asked him after Brookes won the Head in 2016 whether they would enter the Ladies, his response was “why the hell would we do that, this crew is eligible for the Temple and that’s what we’re targeting”.
They may have representation in the Open events, depending what boat the likes of Matt Tarrant & Jamie Copus race, but the 1st VIII will be gunning for the Ladies.
Why would they bother with the Grand in a non-Olympic year. In both '92 and '96 there weren't any heavyweight national team crews entered, just lightweight crews.
Old timer

Splashy wrote:
fatsculler wrote: True, but Spratley is a realist, he wants to deliver medals. I asked him after Brookes won the Head in 2016 whether they would enter the Ladies, his response was “why the hell would we do that, this crew is eligible for the Temple and that’s what we’re targeting”.
Why would they bother with the Grand in a non-Olympic year. In both '92 and '96 there weren't any heavyweight national team crews entered, just lightweight crews.
South Africans in 92