OK City Named U23 Training Site

Moderators: lt.wolf, YouGotMobjacked

crewu
Old timer

Re: OK City Named U23 Training Site

Post by crewu »

daddylonglegs wrote:Sounds like reneging on a deal to me. Have all 2009 spring regattas been cancelled in OK City or just the ones that would cost the boathouse foundation $100,000 or more? I smell bad fish.
The University of Oklahoma does not seem to be having trouble scheduling regattas on their home course in the spring:

http://wimgo.com/events/52013/universit ... g-schedule
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Do you find it a spiritual calling to waste people's time, or is it more of a hobby?

Okie's home races and ACRA aren't the same caliber or magnitude of event.

Please.

Stop.

Breathing.
GreenHat
Pre-Elite

Post by GreenHat »

http://newsok.com/river-slowly-refillin ... le/3353331

So there are some people that are pretty pissed about this project in OKC (read comments). Pretty scathing remarks about water quality and such. Several of their claims are a little shallow (no pun intended).

Should water quality be an issue to consider? I can tell you that where I used to row was probably more hazardous and it didn't make news (though it was in Jersey...).
i(heart)celery
Novice

Post by i(heart)celery »

hey, can everybody just chill the f*&% out?

Just because its not in Philly, Boston, or Seattle doesnt mean its going to fail.
I know theres a lot anti-philly sentiment in boston, and that goes for any rowing city to the next.
Wherever you are, and whatever local races you've won, being from your city doesnt make you any
better than you really are. I know. I rowed in philly. Theres a lot of people who think theyre hot
$h!^ because they row for whatever boathouse row club they row for. That doesnt matter. If you train
like a maniac and race like a crazed demon, it doesnt matter if you row in Lancaster, Pa or Missoula, Mt.
Youre going to win a lot of boat races.

So if a bunch of ridiculously talented people want to get together in the middle of nowhere (the best places
to train btw, away from the distractions) more power to em. As long as they can get a good coaching
staff there, I predict nothing but success coming out of this program, despite how terrible a place it is
to have a race. Hell, I spent a lot of time practicing in the back bays behind atlantic city dodging drunk
people in powerboats on water without even 1000 meters straight shot with a fair bit of success.

I think that a city that not only aknowledges its rowing community but SUPPORTS it (instead of trying to
make a buck off it like Philly does) deserves our respect and our thanks. If the city follows through on the
rest of the river development plan, it sounds like a great place to row and build a program. It sounds
like the kind of place I'd like to get involved in. If theres a place that builds these facilities and says
'hey usrowing, we just built all of this stuff here for you, come and use it' we all would be fools not to
take them up on it. The national rowing scene can only benefit from spreading its talent to other cities.
Imagine if rowing were truly a nationwide sport, with extremely good programs in all 50 states (kinda like
all the other sports at your local public high school, most of which you can watch on national tv). More
talent from more places would be developed. Sure, new englanders, philadelphians, youre not going to
win as many club nationals. Deal with it. The sport will improve across the board.
bendtheoar
Grand Puba

Post by bendtheoar »

i(heart)celery wrote:hey, can everybody just chill the f*&% out?

Just because its not in Philly, Boston, or Seattle doesnt mean its going to fail.
I know theres a lot anti-philly sentiment in boston, and that goes for any rowing city to the next.
Wherever you are, and whatever local races you've won, being from your city doesnt make you any
better than you really are. I know. I rowed in philly. Theres a lot of people who think theyre hot
$h!^ because they row for whatever boathouse row club they row for. That doesnt matter. If you train
like a maniac and race like a crazed demon, it doesnt matter if you row in Lancaster, Pa or Missoula, Mt.
Youre going to win a lot of boat races.

So if a bunch of ridiculously talented people want to get together in the middle of nowhere (the best places
to train btw, away from the distractions) more power to em. As long as they can get a good coaching
staff there, I predict nothing but success coming out of this program, despite how terrible a place it is
to have a race. Hell, I spent a lot of time practicing in the back bays behind atlantic city dodging drunk
people in powerboats on water without even 1000 meters straight shot with a fair bit of success.

I think that a city that not only aknowledges its rowing community but SUPPORTS it (instead of trying to
make a buck off it like Philly does) deserves our respect and our thanks. If the city follows through on the
rest of the river development plan, it sounds like a great place to row and build a program. It sounds
like the kind of place I'd like to get involved in. If theres a place that builds these facilities and says
'hey usrowing, we just built all of this stuff here for you, come and use it' we all would be fools not to
take them up on it. The national rowing scene can only benefit from spreading its talent to other cities.
Imagine if rowing were truly a nationwide sport, with extremely good programs in all 50 states (kinda like
all the other sports at your local public high school, most of which you can watch on national tv). More
talent from more places would be developed. Sure, new englanders, philadelphians, youre not going to
win as many club nationals. Deal with it. The sport will improve across the board.
Gee, only nine months to get up the gumption to tell people to chill out, lol, all good points, but it's been a while since this was a hot thread, why the long wait? :wink:
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Question

Hwo many training ceters are there now and who is in charge of coaching whom?
Estara
Pre-Elite

Post by Estara »

Question

Hwo many training ceters are there now and who is in charge of coaching whom?
Pocock (Seattle) - Volp, they seem to mostly have LW women
Vesper (Philly) - Bartman, a bit of everything
Undine (Philly) - Quaid, Naughton, mostly lightweights, men and women
Penn AC (Philly) - Dana, mostly heavy men I think, also a few women light and heavy now.
Riverside (Boston) - you know more about the scene there than I do Wolf
OKC - Parker, they seem to be asking for all types, altho he is theoretically the LW natl team coach
Princeton - Terhaar for the HW, Korzo for the HM scullers that are there I think
CRC (Oakland, CA) - Well, they're kinda in flux ATM with the coaching, but they've been heavy men
GMS (New Milford, CT) - Beutter, mostly lightweights
NYAC (NY) - Ventura, Murphy, Zimmer, a bit of everything
Not sure where exactly McClaren is ATM.

There may be a few more that my sleep deprived brain just can't think of at the moment.