lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: OK City Named U23 Training Site

Post by lt.wolf »

Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

In my lifetime only Chula Vista has ever garnered the attention that OK City has as a training site. And now it's on the cover of Rowing News as the future of US rowing.
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
Scott @ Noble Hardware
Veteran

Post by Scott @ Noble Hardware »

To say that Rowing News and OKC Rowing have formed a cozy relationship would be a huge understatement...
Scott Noble
www.noblehardware.com - Premium Rowing Gear
scullerjay
Pre-Elite

Post by scullerjay »

Norm, Wouldn't you consider Indy and the Springs in this list? The bottom line is that OKC is part of the Community Partner Program [or whatever it is called] of the USOC and they are going to garner the attention based on the local support. Some communities are using this to build grass roots, community systems in the inner city others are going with more competitive/training support. Philly is one of the cities too.

Jay
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

The camp list reads like an east coast boys club. Is this due to NCAA rules? (which would rule out all varsity women and PAC-10 varsity men). I wopnder what rules the IRA has actually implemented...

Just given how it looks, I am surprised USRowing did not communicate why this is the case.
jrd
Varsity

Post by jrd »

crewu wrote:The camp list reads like an east coast boys club. Is this due to NCAA rules? (which would rule out all varsity women and PAC-10 varsity men). I wopnder what rules the IRA has actually implemented...

Just given how it looks, I am surprised USRowing did not communicate why this is the case.

Umm, they did. The camp is an east coast identification camp--that's why there aren't any Pac-10 varsity men there. There will be a west coast camp later on. And the varsity women already had their identification camp in Princeton or Philly last weekend--that's why there aren't any varsity women there.

Attendance at the camps--mens or womens--has nothing to do with NCAA or IRA rules, which don't govern these sorts of things. Attendance is decided entirely by the rowers who want to attend and earn invitations.

Any other conspiratorial ideas about how this "looks"? Perhaps we can put our arrows back in the quiver now?
scullerjay
Pre-Elite

Post by scullerjay »

Here are other identification camps....

http://www.usrowing.org/Olympic_Nationa ... idcam.aspx
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

I'm afraid I don't see anything about a men's west coast camp later on. Please provide the link.

Did not suggest a conspiracy either. Just requested an explanation for the camp being confined to east coast men. Since none was given, I offered the possibility of NCAA rules (extra benefit/in season restrictions etc, which do in fact govern what an athlete is permitted to do and remain eligible) being the possible reason.

jrd, perhaps being all so knowing you can provide the answers.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

scullerjay wrote:Norm, Wouldn't you consider Indy and the Springs in this list? The bottom line is that OKC is part of the Community Partner Program [or whatever it is called] of the USOC and they are going to garner the attention based on the local support. Some communities are using this to build grass roots, community systems in the inner city others are going with more competitive/training support. Philly is one of the cities too.

Jay
Jay: Yeah, I guess "my lifetime" only includes as far back as my memory goes. (Was there life before '93? :?) Windy Indy I think we call it. I do recall something about how the Euro's absolutely hated it. And then there was Casitas with its prevailing sea breeze and the AM racing in '84. All this leaves the US, with it's budget at 1/8 that of the UK and no national race course. No wonder USRowing turns to OK City.
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Considering OK City pulled the plug just half way through the two-year deal with ACRA I would not put a grain of salt into this 'arrangement' with USRowing.
Guy Noir
Elite

Post by Guy Noir »

crewu wrote:Considering OK City pulled the plug...
I think that's your wording, but not what really happened. I believe the construction requirements that will be happening in late spring would have made it difficult to hold a prestigious regatta and so they decided to hold it elsewhere for one year only.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Construction projects, especially along rivers, take years to develop Environmental Impact Reports, obtain public feedback on and do not just suddenly spring up and cause a regatta to be cancelled. The deal with ACRA was made earlier this year, not years ago. In the meantime, OK City Boathouse Foundation's meal ticket, Chesapeake Energy, is disappearing rapidly. So, it seems pretty obvious that after bagging their relationship with USRowing, ACRA became expendable in a limited cash environment. It will not be long before USRowing is too.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

It's called a project delay.

Stop being a leaky enema.

Do you cry when Teletubbies gets interrupted for pledge breaks?
daddylonglegs
Pre-Elite

Post by daddylonglegs »

Sounds like reneging on a deal to me. Have all 2009 spring regattas been cancelled in OK City or just the ones that would cost the boathouse foundation $100,000 or more? I smell bad fish.