The 2018 Boat Race

Moderator: fatsculler

fatsculler
Old timer

Re: The 2018 Boat Race

Post by fatsculler »

feeling fairly smug that I called all 4 races right ;) (especially as I had a 4 race accumulator bet on)
The result of the women's race was pretty much as expected. Right from the outset in October when the squads were announced, it was clear that Cambridge had a far stronger squad, and it would take something special for Oxford to get close. Such is the strength in depth of the Cambridge squad that the reserves, Blondie, were probably faster than the Oxford Blue Boat.
But, I was really surprised at the result in the men's race, not that Cambridge won, I expected that, but just how poor Oxford were. I'd been expecting this year to be one of the closest races for years, but the reality is it was over by the end of the Fulham Wall. Bowden's frantic changes after the Bugajski furore now look like an act of desperation. I was also surprised at how poorly Oxford rowed, not like a Bowden crew at all. Cambridge on the other hand looked superb, long, loose and powerful. I really good send off for Trapmore (who I think has been greatly underrated as a coach).
The older I get, the better I was
limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

Oxford rowed exactly how they normally row. It doesn't look as slick as Cambridge but its incredibly effective. Cambridge did look good though and they did walk all over Oxford, which is surprising given how close the rows against Brookes were, maybe Josh would've made quite a difference. I don't think Trapmore is underrated, I think Trapmore spent the last seven years learning how to coach at a high level and he's leaving now that he's figured it out, which is a shame because Cambridge invested a good chunk of time in him... and had some brutal losses under him.
Last edited by limegreenspeed on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

limegreenspeed wrote:Oxford rowed exactly how they normally row. It doesn't look as slick as Cambridge but its incredibly effective. Cambridge did look good though and they did walk all over Oxford, which is surprising given how close the rows against Brookes were, maybe Josh would've made quite a difference. I don't think Trapmore is underrated, I think Trapmore spent the last seven years learn how to coach at a high level and he's leaving now that he's figured it out, which is a shame because Cambridge invested a good chunk of time in him... and had some brutal loses under him.
The above ....except I don’t think he is the finished article and I don’t think it takes 6 years

He lost 4 of 6 and one win he would have lost bar the swimmer and this year something went horribly wrong at Oxford.

I see Trapmore and Macilroy out of exactly the same mold for the same reason. They both can talk the “build and run a program” but great coaches are charismatic leaders. Trapmore has a lot to prove in his first year with the National Team that he has this extra quality.

I’ll refer to another post on another thread. This is college rowing. That’s all. And neither of these crews had the pedigree or quality of some of their predecessors.
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

Everyone judging Trapmore purely on his win/loss ratio, ignoring that many of his losses were by smaller margins than expected and to much superior Oxford squads.

And he didn't have the luxury of being assistant to one of the best modern BR coaches beforehand.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

KitD wrote:Everyone judging Trapmore purely on his win/loss ratio, ignoring that many of his losses were by smaller margins than expected and to much superior Oxford squads.

And he didn't have the luxury of being assistant to one of the best modern BR coaches beforehand.
Maybe Trapmore is being unfairly judged and significantly underrated, we should be able to tell once he gets to the GB squad.

If we're referring to Harry Mahon as one of the best modern BR coaches (who else would it be?) then I'd say Trapmore has had his own form of luxury, he was coached by him leading up to 2000.
rowingstrong
JV

Post by rowingstrong »

The crews looked even this year. Although Oxford did have Anders he wasn't that great for us at the Olympics or Worlds. GB squad are going to be a lot better off with Trapmore over there. Good showing of a strong team to win all 4 races. Any rumours on the new appointment?
smatatat
Varsity

Post by smatatat »

KitD wrote:Everyone judging Trapmore purely on his win/loss ratio, ignoring that many of his losses were by smaller margins than expected and to much superior Oxford squads.

Which "many" are you referring to?

2011 - lose by 4 lengths (despite being odds-on favourites to win)
2013 - lose by 1 1/2 lenghts (~2 lenghts but for a bad final corner by Oxford)
2014 - lose by 11 lengths (NB: Juckett crab)
2015 - lose by 6 1/2 lengths
2017 - lose by 1 1/4 lengths

2013 and 2017 were probably a bit closer than some people expected, though the other years were all bigger margins than people expected. I think we sometimes get a bit blinded by hindsight and/or the big names in the Oxford crew and forget that Cambridge have had some really useful rowers across their numbers for many years now (and that for every "big-name" rower in a Bowden crew there are one or two lightweights kicking around in the bows). Who knows - maybe in a couple of years, once the athletes have moved on to bigger things, we will be saying that this Cambridge crew was absolutely stacked.

Don't get me wrong - I think Trapmore is a real asset, but quite frankly he was fortunate to have kept the role for so long (especially when you look at how quickly Cambridge coaches have been turfed in the past). Toughing out a few years has allowed him to develop into a really talented coach and program-builder, much as it did for Bowden. The strategy employed by Trapmore's crew this year was fantastic (going harder earlier to completely nullify the first-corner advantage to Oxford and provide them with wash from the get-go), and potentially a game-changer going forward. Nonetheless, we shouldn't let the current "coaching product" of Trapmore rose-tint our glasses too much - his track record is justifiably not great, and is better than it could/should be thanks to the 2012 race.
Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

British Rowing has its first new head since about 1997. This guy is inheriting a set up that is”in transition” or could be lablelled as looking a bit stale. The new guy is inheriting a coach who has no international track record and I believe an average track record at best at Cambridge.
I suspect there is a going to be close scrutiny on everyone in GB rowing both athletes and coaches. 2020 will not be the new guys test. 2024 will be. The molds are made for Tokyo.

I’ll be interested to see the new guys views on U23 and Junior which I believe the GB set up has not focused upon due to the longegevity of their senior athletes in the last decade and this is now stinging them following some younger retirements.

But as regards coaches? GB have one of the bigest budgets in the world and they have some outstanding coaches “out on loan” in Switzerland and in Australia that could be bought and brought back.

Trapmore is not alone in this position but until 2020 coaches will be under close scrutiny. And I’d be more impressed with Simon Cox and Robin dowell’s track record overseas at international level than Trapmore at College level albeit good college level.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Trapmore is a losing coach - plain and simple.

GBR is in serious trouble. Concerned about sooner than expected athlete retirements now? Get ready for mass walk outs.

GBR is entering a period where top athletes will be one and done after an Olympics. Golds will still be earned in Tokyo but the cupboard will soon be bare.

Trapmore is not a development rowing coach. And Trapmore is not an elite coach.

When you are neither of these, the actual elite coaches who might be available will stay away or worse come on board with excessive demands for control unhealthy for the overall team.
rowingstrong
JV

Post by rowingstrong »

crewu wrote:Trapmore is a losing coach - plain and simple.

GBR is in serious trouble. Concerned about sooner than expected athlete retirements now? Get ready for mass walk outs.

GBR is entering a period where top athletes will be one and done after an Olympics. Golds will still be earned in Tokyo but the cupboard will soon be bare.

Trapmore is not a development rowing coach. And Trapmore is not an elite coach.

When you are neither of these, the actual elite coaches who might be available will stay away or worse come on board with excessive demands for control unhealthy for the overall team.
wow you seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about this. Got to admit this years Cambridge crew rowed extremely well. He is a talented coach who deserves all he gets imho. He has also helped produce countless athletes who have gone on to International and Olympic success. I would say he is the best development coach around and a good elite coach.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Just a realist. The results speak for themselves.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

It’s worth noting the strengths of the various squads. Since Trapmore started at Cambridge The highest level his athletes have competed at is:
Olympics 3 (George Nash x2 & Milan Bruncvik)
Worlds 12
U23’s 12

Compare that to Bowden’s Oxford in the same time
Olympics 13
Worlds 7
U23’s 12

I don’t think it’s fair to say those Olympic appearances were due to Bowden’s coaching, but it is evident that he had a much stronger squad to work with. You could’ve had the best coach in the world at Cambridge but they still wouldn’t have beaten the Oxford crews of 2013-15.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

The Oxford women seem to have had a tough time drawing established talent to their boat club. The caliber of Boat Race experience tends to be at least at the Senior B level...a Blue Boat with 2-3 rowers who have not been battle-tested at a high level gives cause for concern. Hopefully this isn't a trend.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

fullmetal wrote:The Oxford women seem to have had a tough time drawing established talent to their boat club. The caliber of Boat Race experience tends to be at least at the Senior B level...a Blue Boat with 2-3 rowers who have not been battle-tested at a high level gives cause for concern. Hopefully this isn't a trend.
Next year’s women’s race could be quite interesting, none of this year’s Cambridge boat will be back whereas Nelder will have quite a few returners. Oxford’s Programme looks to much more geared towards developing talent rather than “shipping” it in.