The 2018 Boat Race

Moderator: fatsculler

smatatat
Varsity

Re: The 2018 Boat Race

Post by smatatat »

The swap may have also just resulted in a faster crew without Bugajski.

All the other stuff may just be symptoms.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

smatatat wrote:The swap may have also just resulted in a faster crew without Bugajski.

Unlikely, but you never know.
The older I get, the better I was
Drower
Varsity

Post by Drower »

fatsculler wrote:
smatatat wrote:The swap may have also just resulted in a faster crew without Bugajski.

Heard from someone close that he was out sick and the boat seemed legitimately faster without him. He then refused to row with the second boat and left the team. There was a bit more to it team dynamics and personality wise, but the explanation to the media should roughly speaking be true.
rowingstrong
JV

Post by rowingstrong »

Drower wrote:
fatsculler wrote:

Heard from someone close that he was out sick and the boat seemed legitimately faster without him. He then refused to row with the second boat and left the team. There was a bit more to it team dynamics and personality wise, but the explanation to the media should roughly speaking be true.
LOL if we are to believe this. How do you decide if its going better? Just because it feels nice doesn't mean it is fast. There must be something more too it.
WellRowed
Varsity

Post by WellRowed »

lt.wolf wrote:Oh boy , as a coach are you willing to stake the Boat Race and possible coaching position on a hangover? It can go either way, do you set standards or do you hold the outcome of the race higher ?
Legend has it that he pulled his 5:45 the morning after a night of heavy drinking so I would go for the result...
rowingtech09
Pre-Elite

Post by rowingtech09 »

Sean cares about winning, and he's willing to tolerate disruptive elements if that helps him win. If Bugajski was dropped it's because the boat was faster without him. (Also, it's pretty damn easy to decide if a boat is going faster. It isn't all about "feeling nice." Duh.) Incredibly disruptive erg hammer - surely that's never happened before?

I could easily imagine that he was then dropped from the team entirely (rather than put in the reserve boat) due to personality issues. The reserve race is clearly less important.
Drower
Varsity

Post by Drower »

rowingtech09 wrote:Sean cares about winning, and he's willing to tolerate disruptive elements if that helps him win. If Bugajski was dropped it's because the boat was faster without him. (Also, it's pretty damn easy to decide if a boat is going faster. It isn't all about "feeling nice." Duh.) Incredibly disruptive erg hammer - surely that's never happened before?

I could easily imagine that he was then dropped from the team entirely (rather than put in the reserve boat) due to personality issues. The reserve race is clearly less important.
Pretty much this, except that he apparently plainly refused to row with the reserves.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Apparently he was at Caversham today and posted another sub 5:50 2K
The older I get, the better I was
rowingstrong
JV

Post by rowingstrong »

dropped from Oxford and goes straight to your national team :lol:
Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

rowingstrong wrote:dropped from Oxford and goes straight to your national team :lol:
Hmmmmm
I know someone who was dropped from the Radcliffe varsity bit and went on to an U2; gold the same year and won an Olympic gold medal.
Happens

I trust Bowden to have done the right thing. And Oxford have plenty of technology to know if the boats going faster.
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

rowingstrong wrote:dropped from Oxford and goes straight to your national team :lol:
OUBC train at Caversham too though. A change of heart and trying to repair the damage?
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

If the 7 other oarsmen and cox in whatever boat he ends up in trust him enough to give full effort to the last inch...that's up to them if they want to take him back. Exciting times.
rowingtech09
Pre-Elite

Post by rowingtech09 »

Race is this weekend. OUBC won't be at Caversham. And it's not exactly like GBR are setting the world alight on the men's sweep side right now. Obviously anyone with that kind of power is getting a look in.
Der Milchshake
Pre-Elite

Post by Der Milchshake »

This all started with a tweet with a sliver of information and a relating back to 1987. Anyone know who sets the lineups at the end of the day? Does the president still have final say and if so if the boat came to the coach saying they wanted to the other guy does the change have to occur regardless of the coach's feelings? Just wondering.
Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

Der Milchshake wrote:This all started with a tweet with a sliver of information and a relating back to 1987. Anyone know who sets the lineups at the end of the day? Does the president still have final say and if so if the boat came to the coach saying they wanted to the other guy does the change have to occur regardless of the coach's feelings? Just wondering.
Well 87 they were just lucky. The pre mutiny boat was MUCH faster, in fact really good. It just so happened Cambridge were really shite as well so the Post Mutiny boat won.