maximizing warmup in a space constrained venue

dieselrower1k
JV

maximizing warmup in a space constrained venue

Post by dieselrower1k »

Wondering what others have done for warmups at venues where the space and time prior to a race are constrained?
Specifically, I'm racing at Lake Olmstead where the warmup is limited to the 1000 meter row to the start.
Unfortunately, I do not have access to an erg. :(
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: maximizing warmup in a space constrained venue

Post by lt.wolf »

Try and do something at the hotel to loosen up. SS for 20 minutes. ****Always stay some place with a gym

Get to course , stretch and launch Paddle for a min and then take a couple of burst starting at 28 and then to race pace.

You might also suggest to the regatta officials to provide warm up ergs next year.

I always reconsider attending a regatta as a athlete if there is not room to warm up etc.
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

I assume you'll be at Southeast Regionals if you're asking about Lake Olmstead. You don't even get 750m to warm-up since the dock is around the 150m mark and on the way up you can't go all the way to the top before turning around. I've raced there before and what I end up doing is just going for a light jog before getting in the boat. There really isn't much else you can do and if the temperature is anything like it's been in the past, your body will be warm enough with minimal effort (it's been around 100 degrees the past couple of years).

Bring a chair and an umbrella - shade is minimal. Cool-down is also minimal. I'm not a fan of the course at all.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Is this a "US Rowing sanctioned" regatta without a proper warm up area?
dieselrower1k
JV

Post by dieselrower1k »

yes,USRowing SE Regionals. Thanks for the warmup tip. I'll hit the elliptical for 20' and then drive over to the course.