Empower/Magik?

Moderator: lt.wolf

1xsculler
Old timer

Empower/Magik?

Post by 1xsculler »

Anybody see any reason why a good DIYer could not adapt Empower to a Magik sculling oarlock?
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
sandor
Old timer

Re: Empower/Magik?

Post by sandor »

1xsculler wrote:Anybody see any reason why a good DIYer could not adapt Empower to a Magik sculling oarlock?
This one?

http://www.magikrowing.com/PRODUCT

I think the load cell is on the oarlock side of the pin, so you would be left with no "meat" left on the magik oarlock to attach it to the pin...

http://www.nkhome.com/shop/media/catalo ... ck_1_1.jpg
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

sandor wrote:
1xsculler wrote:Anybody see any reason why a good DIYer could not adapt Empower to a Magik sculling oarlock?
This one?

http://www.magikrowing.com/PRODUCT

I think the load cell is on the oarlock side of the pin, so you would be left with no "meat" left on the magik oarlock to attach it to the pin...

http://www.nkhome.com/shop/media/catalo ... ck_1_1.jpg

But, I do not own the magik, and I have not disassembled the EmPower (yet)
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

I will remain unconvinced that it cannot be done successfully but am waiting for NK to respond to my emails. I am really hooked on my Magik sculling oarlocks for the very positive lock-on feel I experience as I rotate my oars from recovery to drive to recovery, etc., using plenty of silicone lubricant which also limits oarlock wear. Since oarlocks wear out on a regular basis, depending on which oars/sleeves you use, it seems you'd be stuck buying oarlocks from NK unless the Empower can be adapted to C2, Magik, etc.

It appears to me that a little hand work on the Magik oarlock would allow you to attach Empower to it much as it attaches to the NK oarlock.

The Force Cell within the NK oarlock may present a problem.
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

1xsculler wrote:..It appears to me that a little hand work on the Magik oarlock would allow you to attach Empower to it much as it attaches to the NK oarlock.

The Force Cell within the NK oarlock may present a problem.
the EmPower isn't as simple as a "bolt on" sensor (though the battery & radio & electronics definitely bolt on the opposite side of the pin from the oar)
the load sensor is incorporated into face of the oarlock, to directly sense the load from the oar sleeve, so you would need to compromise the stiffest portion of the oarlock to make the marriage work.

not saying it cannot be done, just that there are going to be compromises along the way.
oarlock_homepage.jpg
oarlock_homepage.jpg (110.65 KiB) Viewed 976 times
oarlock_1_1.jpg
oarlock_1_1.jpg (61.48 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 7.18.31 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 7.18.31 AM.jpg (87.09 KiB) Viewed 976 times
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

That last diagram is interesting. A Magik oarlock does its 'magic' by pushing the sleeve exactly in the direction of the orange arrow. How will this affect the calibration of the EmPower device? Is it designed expecting a Concept2 gate and no force against the pin on the recovery? Genuine question, and it may be irrelevant.
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

Just talked to Joe at NK. No can do with Magik without re-engineering. They use C2 oar locks but attaching must be done by NK for proper results. They have a 2 year guarantee on Empower.
Last edited by 1xsculler on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

1xsculler wrote:Just talked to Joe at NK. No can do with Magik without re-engineering. They use C2 oar locks but attaching must be done by NK for proper results. They have a 2 year guarantee on Empower which means I would be sending mine back about every there months as that is all I can get out of C2 oar locks when using Cromer pink sleeves.
how many miles do you row in that three months?

Croker specifically says not to use their Mark 3 sleeves with the Magik oarlocks because of excessive wear of the sleeves.
I've used the same pair of C2 oarlocks for the past 4500 miles or so, but did have Greg re-sleeve them. Mark 1 to Mark 3 sleeves - the asymmetric sleeve helped me a lot.
Steven M-M
Elite

Post by Steven M-M »

As I understand it, the EmP Oarlock is based on the Croker oarlock. Good for me, since that is what I use. You also have only one choice in oarlock pitch, 4 degrees, which, again, is what I use anyway.
Steven M-M
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

According to Joe at NK they use modified C2 oarlocks for Empower. I believe all C2 and Croker oarlocks have 4* of pitch and all can be adjusted by installing different bushings. This doesn't apply to Empower as they use a special bushing of their own which you can't swap out to adjust pitch.
Last edited by 1xsculler on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

way down at the bottom of the page...

http://www.nkhome.com/rowing-sports/empower-oarlock

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 2.20.36 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 2.20.36 PM.jpg (53.02 KiB) Viewed 895 times

the bushing on the EmPower is definitely much slimmer than the normal sculling bushings.
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

Thank you for pointing that out, i. e. that pitch cannot be adjusted with bushings. This presents no problem for C -shaped pin supports, as pin pitch is has a wide adjustment range but might be a tuning problem for other types of pin supports
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

I have no idea why I wear C2 oarlocks out so fast. I have discussed this with Greg Doyle and we feel it must be something about the water I row in. It is evidently a problem unique to me as other scullers are not reporting it.
Steven M-M
Elite

Post by Steven M-M »

Wolf's comment not withstanding, I still think the Emp Oarlock uses Croker oarlocks. Croker owns NK-Aus, where I think the EmP was developed. Also it just looks more like a Croker than C2 oarlock. Whether fast or slow, oarlocks do wear out and NK will provide a "retread" for, I believe, ~$100. Rowing shells have few moving parts and I always wipe out the seat tracks, oarlocks, and oar sleeve after each row.
Steven M-M
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Steven M-M wrote:Wolf's comment not withstanding, I still think the Emp Oarlock uses Croker oarlocks. Croker owns NK-Aus, where I think the EmP was developed. Also it just looks more like a Croker than C2 oarlock. Whether fast or slow, oarlocks do wear out and NK will provide a "retread" for, I believe, ~$100. Rowing shells have few moving parts and I always wipe out the seat tracks, oarlocks, and oar sleeve after each row.
What leads you to believe it was developed in Australia?

NK (on their site) says all design & build happens in the US, and their engineering team are all listed as being Philly-area based (Boothwyn is a stone's throw down interstate 95)

Given the length of time there have been rumblings about "NK's new oarlock" on Boathouse Row, i have just assumed it was all home-grown in Boothwyn. The US M2- has been using them for what seems like forever.