Who should be USRowing's new CEO?

Moderators: lt.wolf, YouGotMobjacked

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Who should be USRowing's new CEO?

Post by lt.wolf »

Amanda Kraus

Dear Friend,

It’s been my absolute privilege to watch Row New York grow and flourish over the past 18 years. That’s why it’s with mixed emotions that I am sharing the news that I will be transitioning out of my role at Row New York to become the new CEO of USRowing, the national governing body for the sport of rowing in the United States. Row New York’s mission and contributions to the sport of rowing have paved the way for this next step and I am eager to bring all of our great successes and the lessons I’ve learned here to the broader rowing community. I hope that someday soon our sport will reflect the rich diversity of our country, much as it has at Row New York.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Fingers crossed that this is the one.

Now, per expectations of poor USRowing behavior let's watch the interim CEO and board sign the national team coaches to new contracts before the new CEO starts her term completely tying her hands for the next 4 years - unless they already did this in a back room last week.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Best wishes to Amanda and the future of rowing in the United States.

I have a sense of deja vu after reading this: "First, I plan to do a lot of listening to all of the stakeholders." Pretty sure that's what Patrick was saying early in his tenure. But I guess that's standard initial CEO-speak.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

fullmetal wrote:Best wishes to Amanda and the future of rowing in the United States.

I have a sense of deja vu after reading this: "First, I plan to do a lot of listening to all of the stakeholders." Pretty sure that's what Patrick was saying early in his tenure. But I guess that's standard initial CEO-speak.
It's almost impossible to get the buy in necessary to successfully change course without coming in and listening and learning. The trick is applying that learning to bring stakeholders along with needed changes and reform. If stakeholders resist your strategy, you'll fail.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Was that what went wrong during Patrick's tenure?
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

I have no idea, was just speaking generally!
flat drive
Pre-Elite

Post by flat drive »

What's her salary? over $200k?
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

fullmetal wrote:Was that what went wrong during Patrick's tenure?
Well, for one----the listening tour was nearing the end and suddenly pre-empted by the departure sound.

Maybe no one wants us. Do we depress our hired therapists?
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

flat drive wrote:What's her salary? over $200k?
Worth every penny.

Really looks like the board got it right this time.

I'll be interested to see how she deals with the NRF. To me, having an outside organization annually getting a big pat on the back for never actually raising enough money is a structural flaw. The NRF should be dissolved. All fundraising should be handled in house at USRowing. As long as USRowing continues to allow this it is sending the message "we can't be trusted. Give to the NRF instead."
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

USRowing doesn't have control over the NRF, last I checked. The NRF is a well-funded group of (ex-)rowers who aren't going to dip into the mechanics of running USRowing but still want to influence things with money -- or so it seems. How is anyone going to dissolve a separate, private entity? The NRF is entitled to its own raised funds and purposes...and to reduce their influence, USRowing has to be independent of NRF funds. Not sure how that would work right now.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Very easy. Tell the NRF it is no longer legally permitted to use the US National team, which is a property of USRowing, in any of it's fundraising literature, pitches, or events.

Invite the NRF to be under the USRowing umbrella but the fundraising is done by USRowing staff and funds managed by USRowing.

USRowing then establishes a new Board of Trustees or Board of Visitors (as some universities call their secondary non voting boards) and fill it with the NRF donors.

The organisation would be so much stronger for this.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Yes, everyone should give to the NGB who gets sued on the regular so that their philanthropy can go to paying lawyers instead of sending athletes to worlds and the Olympics.
eeoyre
Elite

Post by eeoyre »

Slim wrote:Yes, everyone should give to the NGB who gets sued on the regular so that their philanthropy can go to paying lawyers instead of sending athletes to worlds and the Olympics.
As as long as the money is given to a specific fund for Worlds / Olympic athletes, THAT should not be an issue. However the general incompetence of USRowing when it comes to fundraising, sponsorship or general fiscal responsibility is a different story. So I am right there with you as far as the sanity of this idea. :D
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Slim wrote:Yes, everyone should give to the NGB who gets sued on the regular so that their philanthropy can go to paying lawyers instead of sending athletes to worlds and the Olympics.
The NRF money ends up at USRowing anyway so what do lawsuits have to do with anything? And what year was the last lawsuit?
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

crewu wrote:
The NRF money ends up at USRowing anyway so what do lawsuits have to do with anything? And what year was the last lawsuit?
If I give to the NRF, I know my money is going to support the national team. If I give to USRowing directly, I don't.