Training Related Lawsuit

beagle
Elite

Training Related Lawsuit

Post by beagle »

not sure if this is the proper folder for this topic, but OUCH (in more ways than one :shock: );

http://www.telegram.com/news/20161102/m ... -practices
FIVE MILES OUT
rowmitchuous
Varsity

Re: Training Related Lawsuit

Post by rowmitchuous »

Don't they have some sort of waiver that rowers have to fill out before attending practice?

Awful that the family has incurred so much debt from the medical treatment but can they really hold the coach and team liable?
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Always be careful when introducing newbies to the sport =\ What may be normal for varsity rowers may not be normal for newcomers.
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

I think the thing that concerns me here is that it was senior members of the team that were running the practices for the novices. I remember how I was as even a 3rd year varsity rower, and I don't think I would have trusted myself as a trainer for novices.

Maybe for bigger weed-out programs like UW or wisco you can get away with grinding the walk-ons, but for smaller crews, the hard part isn't getting rid of 'em, it's getting 'em to stay. Pulling out the killer workouts on day 1 is a great way to make sure no one sticks around for day 2, much less 3 months later.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

It won't be long before a slew of ex USRowing national team athletes come out of the wood work demanding compensation for their rowing related injuries - and fair enough too. How many national team rowers have had back surgeries in the last 10 years? It won't be long before we see both workers' compensation claims and disability claims.

USRowing and the National Rowing Foundation raise millions of dollars off their efforts and when they are injured they are spat out like horse meat.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Many a rower's back has been injured by callous or careless college coaching fitness training. I wonder if there's a statute of limitations on such claims... :shock: