Rib pain

dieselrower1k
JV

Rib pain

Post by dieselrower1k »

Out of the blue, I had moderate pain in the upper right rib area, just under the pec. This was while warming up for a race @ Sunshine State. Raced 3 times, the pain did not subside, but neither did it worsen. During the next week I got off the water and only usied an elliptical machine or erged. Pain slightly worse, accompanied by a slight clicking/popping in the area as I breathe. Is this an injury one can "tough it out " or should I cross train to allow the area to heal, which means missing some races ?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Rib pain

Post by lt.wolf »

I am no Dr. but sounds like a pull. Try warming up well, even taking a warm shower before rowing. Should help relax the muscle a bit.
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

dieselrower1k wrote: Is this an injury one can "tough it out " or should I cross train to allow the area to heal, which means missing some races ?
As with back injuries, rib injuries are not something you want to mess around with and "tough it out" on. I'd bike for the next week or two and see if the pain/discomfort subsides. If not, go see a doctor.

Definitely don't tough it out, though.
aks753
JV

Post by aks753 »

Remomex wrote:
dieselrower1k wrote: Is this an injury one can "tough it out " or should I cross train to allow the area to heal, which means missing some races ?
As with back injuries, rib injuries are not something you want to mess around with and "tough it out" on. I'd bike for the next week or two and see if the pain/discomfort subsides. If not, go see a doctor.

Definitely don't tough it out, though.
+1 on don't tough it out. I have had pain in the exact same spot for about 8 weeks. I tried for several weeks to keep rowing and it got worse and am now in week two off the water. Could be a pulled muscle, stress fracture or inflamed cartilage, but the treatment is the same. I was told I have Tietze syndrome, which is essentially inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Real rib injuries heal slowly. But it may be a subluxation, which is a partial dislocation of the rib. Common in women rowers. If so, it can be manipulated into place, and with some care you can row immediately. See a pro.
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein