New Rowing NGB

Moderators: lt.wolf, YouGotMobjacked

fast4x
JV

Re: New Rowing NGB

Post by fast4x »

The NGB is not about the NT? Then what is it about? If it is not, it should be. USA Swimming whose National Team split away from the masters/clubs and everyone else to become one of the the most successful NGB in all the Olympic sports. The national team's interests in both swimming, rowing, soccer, handball etc are much different than the other
components of the sport.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

USA Swimming (usaswimming.org) is the competitive governing body. US Masters Swimming (usms.org) is the "Adult" swimming NGB. USA Swimming has 300,000 members. It's huge. So is USA Track and Field, which services all levels (as does USRowing). Because both are so large, they get Speedo, VISA, and other huge endorsements and underwriters. In USRowing's defense, I don't think it's possible to consistantly find a Champion Paper or Audi to back us up. We are small time and if USRA were to break up to focus on the national team it would only be smaller and reach fewer constituents for it's underwriters. Just look at what happened to the Masters Rowing Association - defunct. It's a long, long standing problem that's not going to change despite our wishing it so. If we wish to affect change to USRowing, this is not the venue. Running for the board or at least creating a dialogue with your rep is the way. My guess is that one's opinions of USRowing will be changed as well.

Norm
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
SwissSculler
Old timer

Post by SwissSculler »

...or PM me...

Perhaps I was a bit sarcastic, but in essence this is what I meant:

- in order to be an NGB and recognized as such by the USOC, an org must fulfill certain requirements, basically serve and govern the sport as a whole. You can look up past issues with for example USA equestrian and who is the NGB etc. I think rowing cannot afford to get into this kind of contest. This is not a matter of choice.

- The national team needs to be professionally run, so the organization members (clubs) elect the board, which then sets the policies for the org (and the NT as part of it).

I share fast4x's thinking in terms of the NT is the top of the org, the "flagship" so to speak. Understandably not every member thinks like that. I am pretty sure the thousands of members at USA Hockey don't think about their national team all the time, unless it's Winter Olys? Day to day they are more worried about ice time, the next tournament, camps etc. and rightfully so.

In fact today, especially now with the new by-laws and governance, we do have a split to some degree:

- there is a high performance committee for the NT
- separate budget
- separate funding
"Speed Matters"
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

SwissSculler wrote:In fact today, especially now with the new by-laws and governance, we do have a split to some degree:

- there is a high performance committee for the NT
- separate budget
- separate funding

separate whiners boards??
daddylonglegs
Pre-Elite

Post by daddylonglegs »

Norm wrote:USA Swimming (usaswimming.org) is the competitive governing body. US Masters Swimming (usms.org) is the "Adult" swimming NGB. USA Swimming has 300,000 members. It's huge. So is USA Track and Field, which services all levels (as does USRowing). Because both are so large, they get Speedo, VISA, and other huge endorsements and underwriters. In USRowing's defense, I don't think it's possible to consistantly find a Champion Paper or Audi to back us up. We are small time and if USRA were to break up to focus on the national team it would only be smaller and reach fewer constituents for it's underwriters. Just look at what happened to the Masters Rowing Association - defunct. It's a long, long standing problem that's not going to change despite our wishing it so. If we wish to affect change to USRowing, this is not the venue. Running for the board or at least creating a dialogue with your rep is the way. My guess is that one's opinions of USRowing will be changed as well.

Norm
Norm - you're missing the forrest from the trees. This is how the world works now: liberal bloggers, Rush wannabees, NGOs, pretend NGBs, -they are all part of the system to effect change at all levels. Rowersworld is the place to make change. Change you can believe in my friend.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

daddylonglegs wrote:Rowersworld is the place to make change.

talk about missing the forest for the trees. :mrgreen:
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

daddylonglegs wrote:Norm - you're missing the forrest from the trees. This is how the world works now: liberal bloggers, Rush wannabees, NGOs, pretend NGBs, -they are all part of the system to effect change at all levels. Rowersworld is the place to make change. Change you can believe in my friend.
DLL:
RowersWorld is also defunct, but give me examples of change through people posting on RI. I may be a geezer, but I have trouble believing anonymous people sitting in their undershorts and complaining to others in their PJ's are going to affect much at all. CrewU, being a good example. Did a lot to change Washington didn't he? More gets done on the golf course than here.

BTW, I am wearing a mustard-stained sweatshirt, holed jeans and ratty sneakers with no socks and my breath stinks.
Long & Low
Old timer

Post by Long & Low »

The whole point of this thread is a little narcissistic. It is as if the only change worth having is the change crewu could bring if only he had the money.

If you had a new NGB you would probably start with:

new bylaws
new structure
new executive director
new high performance director
new high performance committee
new head coach
new athlete reps
new commitment to transparency

Wait a minute. That sounds like all the things USRowing actually achieved within the last 90 days.

Crewu wants a revolution when,in fact, we just had one (and it was a lot more well-mannered.)
daddylonglegs
Pre-Elite

Post by daddylonglegs »

Norm wrote: DLL:
RowersWorld is also defunct, but give me examples of change through people posting on RI. I may be a geezer, but I have trouble believing anonymous people sitting in their undershorts and complaining to others in their PJ's are going to affect much at all. CrewU, being a good example. Did a lot to change Washington didn't he? More gets done on the golf course than here.

BTW, I am wearing a mustard-stained sweatshirt, holed jeans and ratty sneakers with no socks and my breath stinks.
Hah! Forgot where I was - sorry wolf. RI is tons better.

I thought the signed complaint from the national team guys on here made a difference. We couldn't read it on row2k so, I think it may have made a difference in things. I wouldn't judge the site on the obvious failures.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Long & Low wrote:
Crewu wants a revolution when,in fact, we just had one (and it was a lot more well-mannered.)

yes, but after every revolution there is always some colonel or general (or unskilled toilet attendant) who didn't get a piece of the action. waiting in the wings for their chance to fcuk things up as much as anyone ever did before them.

enter crewu, the crusty goo rag of rowing.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Long & Low wrote:The whole point of this thread is a little narcissistic. It is as if the only change worth having is the change crewu could bring if only he had the money.

If you had a new NGB you would probably start with:

new bylaws
new structure
new high performance director
new high performance committee
new head coach
new athlete reps
new commitment to transparency

Wait a minute. That sounds like all the things USRowing actually achieved within the last 90 days.

That's right. I got my new NGB long ago. That is why I haven't commented in this thread since last summer. Happy to see the rest of you have finally caught on.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Turtle wrote:
Long & Low wrote:

yes, but after every revolution there is always some colonel or general (or unskilled toilet attendant) who didn't get a piece of the action. waiting in the wings for their chance to fcuk things up as much as anyone ever did before them.

enter crewu, the crusty goo rag of rowing.
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
Long & Low
Old timer

Post by Long & Low »

Perhaps. Time will tell. But the structural change has been dramatic (compared to any other oranization of its size.) I couldn't bring that much change to my local PTA. Maybe we ought to give it until at least the first speed order before we start in.

Unlike Rush, I wish them well.

Sincerely,

Staying Positve Through Two Worlds
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

Norm wrote:
daddylonglegs wrote:Norm - you're missing the forrest from the trees. This is how the world works now: liberal bloggers, Rush wannabees, NGOs, pretend NGBs, -they are all part of the system to effect change at all levels. Rowersworld is the place to make change. Change you can believe in my friend.
DLL:

I'll have you know, sir, that I always make sure to be wearing shoes & a shirt when posting to Rowing Illustrated. :)
SamG
Varsity

Post by SamG »

My my, Caustic, you paint a pretty picture as always.

Perhaps you could sing that refrain from a musical:

Everything Old Is New Again"
Written by Peter Allen & Carole Bayer Sager
Performed by Peter Allen

in "All that Jazz" - and rereleased recently by Barenaked ladies.