Recruiting Class 2020

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

Wykehamist
Novice

Re: Recruiting Class 2020

Post by Wykehamist »

Sorry but I have to ask - did Cal actually <recruit> three coxes?
jeesh999
Pre-Elite

Post by jeesh999 »

Wykehamist wrote:Sorry but I have to ask - did Cal actually <recruit> three coxes?
That depends on what you mean by "recruit." I suspect the coaches were in touch with all three and either (1) encouraged them to attend Cal, (2) brought them for official visits, (3) supported their applications in the admissions process, or (4) all or any combination of the above.
Wykehamist
Novice

Post by Wykehamist »

jeesh999 wrote:
Wykehamist wrote:Sorry but I have to ask - did Cal actually <recruit> three coxes?
That depends on what you mean by "recruit." I suspect the coaches were in touch with all three and either (1) encouraged them to attend Cal, (2) brought them for official visits, (3) supported their applications in the admissions process, or (4) all or any combination of the above.
Fair enough - figured it's probably some combination of the three. But it's still an eye-opener. I've seen Ivies tell prospective coxes that they will not even invest in an OV for a cox because "we've already recruited another cox in your year."
jeesh999
Pre-Elite

Post by jeesh999 »

Wykehamist wrote:
jeesh999 wrote:
Fair enough - figured it's probably some combination of the three. But it's still an eye-opener. I've seen Ivies tell prospective coxes that they will not even invest in an OV for a cox because "we've already recruited another cox in your year."
I know of one out of state cox who recently committed to Cal who got an OV. Probably depends a bit year to year how much they feel the need to bring someone in.
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

Wykehamist wrote:
jeesh999 wrote:
And I'd add that many are "recruited" walk ons. Although I'm not sure why as I'd assume the learning curve for being a collegiate coxswain is high?...Maybe not...
Wykehamist
Novice

Post by Wykehamist »

jeesh999 wrote:
Wykehamist wrote:
jeesh999 wrote:
I know of one out of state cox who recently committed to Cal who got an OV. Probably depends a bit year to year how much they feel the need to bring someone in.
So they have three self-identified coxes in the class that arrived this fall (Class of 2020), and you know someone who is class of 2021 who got an OV? Sorry but again I have to ask: Is there some unusually high attrition rate among Cal coxes?
jeesh999
Pre-Elite

Post by jeesh999 »

Wykehamist wrote:
jeesh999 wrote:
Wykehamist wrote:
jeesh999 wrote:
So they have three self-identified coxes in the class that arrived this fall (Class of 2020), and you know someone who is class of 2021 who got an OV? Sorry but again I have to ask: Is there some unusually high attrition rate among Cal coxes?
Doesn't look like it to me, It's just a big team. Current roster has 55 rowers with 9 coxes (3 sophomore, 3 junior, 3 freshman), so that's six 8+s and a 4+ with three guys and two coxes on land I guess. They had 7 coxes last year and two graduated. All five underclassmen and women returned, they brought in 3 frosh, and added a junior (walk-on, I assume). So maybe they like having a couple of spares now in case someone is sick or quits.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

jeesh999 wrote:
Wykehamist wrote:
jeesh999 wrote:
Wykehamist wrote:
jeesh999 wrote:
Doesn't look like it to me, It's just a big team. Current roster has 55 rowers with 9 coxes (3 sophomore, 3 junior, 3 freshman), so that's six 8+s and a 4+ with three guys and two coxes on land I guess. They had 7 coxes last year and two graduated. All five underclassmen and women returned, they brought in 3 frosh, and added a junior (walk-on, I assume). So maybe they like having a couple of spares now in case someone is sick or quits.

or five 8+ and three 4+, with one cox on shore (and 3 rowers)
or four 8+ and five 4+, and only 3 rowers on shore.

just reiterating the point that the number of coxswains makes the team more flexible from day-to-day, which i think would be advantageous.
jeesh999
Pre-Elite

Post by jeesh999 »

^^^ good point
jeesh999
Pre-Elite

Post by jeesh999 »

BU:
William Boudreaux, 6-5 200, Long Beach Jr Crew
Ryan Cornelius, Salisbury School
Hayden Folgert, Noble and Greenough
David Fox, 6-5 180, Dallas Rowing Club
Travis Kennedy, 6-1 180, The Bolles School
Nils Kocher, GER JNT '15 (8+ 3rd), '16 (8+ 1st)
Colin Lee
Jared Naar, 6-3 195, South Niagara RC
Nicolas Robertson
Theodore Than
James Warren, Tabor Academy
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Impressed to see both Tom Digby & Jonathan Winter make the Yale Varsity boat in their first semester as freshmen.
The older I get, the better I was
JCrew
Elite

Post by JCrew »

jeesh999 wrote:
All 3 Cal freshmen coxes are experienced and coxed at some good programs before Cal. Not sure if this helps determine who was recruited or at what level they were recruited but at least you can see what boats they coxed recently:
  • Jonathan Briggs - Groton & Los Gatos: 2016 coxed 2nd Varsity 4 at New Englands; 2015 coxed 3rd Varsity 4 at New Englands; 2014 coxed 3rd Varsity 4 at New Englands
    Brett Cataldo - Kent School: 2016 coxed Varsity 8 at New Englands; 2015 coxed Varsity 8 at New Englands and at Henley; 2014 coxed Varsity 8 at New Englands. Also coxed the 2014 CanAmMex men's 8 & 4.
    Hunter Hall - New Trier High School: 2016 coxed Varsity 8 at SRAAs and at Youth Invite; 2015 coxed JV8 at SRAAs; 2014 coxed Junior 4 at SRAAs
jeesh999
Pre-Elite

Post by jeesh999 »

fatsculler wrote:Impressed to see both Tom Digby & Jonathan Winter make the Yale Varsity boat in their first semester as freshmen.
Impressed as well, but not too surprised...
jeesh999
Pre-Elite

Post by jeesh999 »

Northeastern:
Braeden Camp, NZ JNT '15 (4x 4th), '16 (8+ 4th)
Chris Tzekov, Sammamish Rowing Assoc.
Louis Pratt, Arlington Belmont, CanAmMex '14
John Carruthers, San Diego RC
Sam Martel, NZ JNT '15 (4+ 6th)
Olly Stephens, NZ JNT '14 (4x 3rd), U23 '16 (4x 2nd)
Daven Rajesh, Kent School
Brendan McCarthy, Duxbury Bay
Jeremy Newton, 6-3 200, Great River Rowing
Aidan Bridwell, 6-1 175, Maritime
Cormac Purcell, 6-5, 175, St Ignatius (Cleveland)
I heard they are trying to bring in another junior worlds guy during the winter.
Last edited by jeesh999 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeesh999
Pre-Elite

Post by jeesh999 »

Stanford (credit to an anonymous poster for this one)
Drew Taylor: Dallas United Crew, 6-5 185, JNT 8+ 2016 (silver medal), 6:18.5 (per berecruited)
Julius Stener: Episcopal School of Dallas, 2015 Worlds Dev Team
Chris Hull: Olympia Area, 4th M4x 2016 Youth nats
Spencer Burdge: Tampa Preparatory, 6-0 175, 6:19 (berecruited), 2014 CanAmMex team
Johnathan Cogan: Norcal Rowing, Youth Nats Champ 15 and 16, (8+ and 4+)
Joseph Matan: Los Gatos Rowing
Ryan Cardiff: North Bay Rowing, 14th M2- Youth nats 2016
Guy Wuollet: The Haverford School