GB Senior trials

Moderator: fatsculler

fatsculler
Old timer

GB Senior trials

Post by fatsculler »

Today is the 5K water trials in Boston (Lincs). It'll be v interesting to see who comes out on top. Intrigued by the pairing of Pete Reed & Stan Louloudis...that could be a very rapid combination...possible new stern pairing of the M8?
The older I get, the better I was
fatsculler
Old timer

Re: GB Senior trials

Post by fatsculler »

News from trials...Charlie Cousins won the M1X with Alan Campbell in 2nd.
Mo Sbihi & Alex Gregory won M2-
Helen Glover won the W1X with Katherine Grainger an excellent 2nd!
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

So is Alan about done in the single?
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

Those first 2 pairs were miles ahead of the rest.

6th place in that event were 2 undergrads from Newcastle Univ, including Oli Knight who is in his first-year and stroked the St Edward's 8 in the PE last year. He is also a superb sculler and had a 6.25 2k as a 15yo. Definitely one to watch out for.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

KitD wrote:Those first 2 pairs were miles ahead of the rest.

6th place in that event were 2 undergrads from Newcastle Univ, including Oli Knight who is in his first-year and stroked the St Edward's 8 in the PE last year. He is also a superb sculler and had a 6.25 2k as a 15yo. Definitely one to watch out for.
definitely one to watch, but there were a lot of absentees today amongst the heavyweight men - no Hodge, Satch, Nash, Langridge, Bennett, Beaumont.

A little disappointed with the result from the current M2X Collins and Walton only 6th and 8th. Who knows we could well see Alan being pushed towards the double? I was also disappointed not to see Beaumont race, he could well have made the top 5.
Great performance from both Glover and Grainger...Glover to win by 14 seconds and Grainger to show good form to take 2nd. I'm really curious to see what boat Grainger goes into. The temptation is to form a new double (possibly with Vicky Thornley or Fran Houghton). Personally I'd like to see Thornley try and qualify the single this year. A double of Grainger and Houghton could be quite special.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

fatsculler wrote:
KitD wrote:Those first 2 pairs were miles ahead of the rest.

definitely one to watch, but there were a lot of absentees today amongst the heavyweight men - no Hodge, Satch, Nash, Langridge, Bennett, Beaumont.

A little disappointed with the result from the current M2X Collins and Walton only 6th and 8th. Who knows we could well see Alan being pushed towards the double? I was also disappointed not to see Beaumont race, he could well have made the top 5.
Great performance from both Glover and Grainger...Glover to win by 14 seconds and Grainger to show good form to take 2nd. I'm really curious to see what boat Grainger goes into. The temptation is to form a new double (possibly with Vicky Thornley or Fran Houghton). Personally I'd like to see Thornley try and qualify the single this year. A double of Grainger and Houghton could be quite special.

why no results from those guys?
Chris A
Veteran

Post by Chris A »

GettingFaster
Veteran

Post by GettingFaster »

No, the .pdf part wasn't included in the link for all but the M2-, that's all.
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

Here's the BR trials page with working links:

http://www.britishrowing.org/gb-rowing- ... nts/trials

Another point to note: the continuing rise of Charlotte Taylor in LW1x. I wouldn't put it past her being in the LW2x for Rio, debuting at, what, 30?
limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

Lots of sweepers out of it, no Hodge, no Nash, no Langridge. I would say counting Alan out is a bit premature and I would think over 2k and head to head it might be a different story, but you might be right wolf. I'm impressed that Karl Hudspith is still pushing things, good for him. Hopefully he makes his way onto the team soon.
Last edited by limegreenspeed on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blah Blah
JV

Post by Blah Blah »

Is it just me or could the success of the eight in the last few years be slightly related to the quality of program that Bowden's running at OUBC? The eight last year had three Oxford blues in stern four, and it doesn't look like that'll change this year based on the Reed/Louloudis result. Obviously it's not like the rest of the crew is, but these are important guys, and Bennett's emergence in particular only came since he went to Oxford - one appearance at world uni champs in 2012, world senior champ in 2014.

Or maybe I've just elevated Bowden too highly in my mind because it's so depressing watching CUBC lose...