Gettin' Better or?

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

hurtlocker
JV

Gettin' Better or?

Post by hurtlocker »

This thread could be put on the boys side as well. But...it seems like I am seeing erg scores for freshman that I do not recall ever seeing before. This yr several HS frosh went 7:30 or faster at various erg events. We have the woman, a jr, who is going sub 7 at Crash Bs. I could provide similar examples on the boys side.

I am not a keen observer of the jr scene but these are incredible times. I cannot put my finger on why. One of these incredible times came from a freshman woman who just started rowing. While an even more incredible one, 7:13, came from a freshman woman who has been rowing about a yr.

Have I had my head in the sand for too long or are our younger jrs just getting that much faster relative to more experienced talent? And if they are getting faster, Why?
rowingpun
Elite

Re: Gettin' Better or?

Post by rowingpun »

I know of a couple freshman girls in the 7:30's, too. Unfortunately they aren't in my boats. I have a feeling this trend will continue as scholarship opportunities open up and girls who might otherwise go out for volleyball, basketball, swimming, etc. join rowing teams.
crewu
Old timer

Re: Gettin' Better or?

Post by crewu »

Just look at all the junior programs taking off around the country. The girls numbers are growing and more boys are getting attracted to the sport along with them.

There is also a much higher caliber of coaches entering the junior ranks who are putting younger juniors on better training programs earlier.