Recruiting times for lightweight women

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

petermech
Elite

Recruiting times for lightweight women

Post by petermech »

What erg times are college coaches looking for regarding lightweight woman's rowing?
MChase
Old timer

Re: Recruiting times for lightweight women

Post by MChase »

<7:40 as a ltwt.
Varsity mens coach, Westerville Crew
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

I'm surprised you say it is that low.

What is the sub time to be recruited as a female heavyweight?
GettingFaster
Veteran

Post by GettingFaster »

crewu wrote:I'm surprised you say it is that low.
You have to remember that there are very few light women's teams, off the top of my head:

Stanford
Radcliffe
Princeton
BU
MIT
Wisco
GTown
Bucknell

Assuming all of them recruit lightweights, that's still only 8 schools, not very many.
2CiiX21
Old timer

Post by 2CiiX21 »

crewu wrote:I'm surprised you say it is that low.

What is the sub time to be recruited as a female heavyweight?
For lwt's, it really is that low, with few exceptions - natural 120 pound girl pulling 7:45 will get looks. But, 130-135 pounds and 7:45+ and it gets difficult.

For heavyweight, things can be a bit more flexible. A girl who is 6'0" and pulling 7:30 will probably get more attention than a girl who is 5'7" and pulling 7:24. Most schools are now telling kids < 7:20 for scholarship. Note: that's what they tell them in the fall, before they get desperate. In the winter there is lots of scrambling to call back kids they ignored in September.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

I don't think it is that quick. I think with so many actual NCAA D1 teams, the good lightweights get looks from mid level heavyweight programs with money. Nicole Dinion spent almost her entire career in the 2v at UVA, Fox and McMahon at Wisco spent time in the 1v and 2v, one won a national championship in it. I believe UW has had a pretty light kid in the boat too. Wales was recruited there as well.

Point is I think, if you go 7:44 your junior year and are a reasonable weight, with decent race results, expect to get a look.

Although the final at youths this past year in the light womens 4+ was super quick on a slow course. not sure conditions, but in a boat class that moves close to erg average, being in the 7:30's is pretty fast. Top two crews also outclassed the field.