Difference in dynamic and stationary times

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

Hedley
Novice

Difference in dynamic and stationary times

Post by Hedley »

Coming into the first 2k erg test of the season, which is 3 weeks away, I've been starting to intensify my training to give myself the best possible chance of making the 1st boat.
The ergo will be on a C2 dynamic erg, and I have a C2 stationary erg at home which is what I am training on atm. For the erg test I am aiming for a 6:50 (1:42.5 split).
I am planning to do a few predictor workouts and possibly a practice 2k if I don't bitch out. Based on this how much faster would I go on the dynamic erg than the stationary? If I could do a 4 x 1k predictor set at say 1:45 on the stationary, would I be set to hold a 1:42.5 on the dynamic?

All responses would be greatly appreciated.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Difference in dynamic and stationary times

Post by lt.wolf »

I would say one second per 500 is the norm. If you go 142 on the stationary you could plan for 141 on the dynamic. Now I have seen people go slower on the dynamic as they are less skilled rowers, I also have seen people go 3 splits faster being a bit more skilled technically.
MChase
Old timer

Post by MChase »

Less assume that you are a junior lightweight. I have lots of numbers in my database for that category of rower. We specifically looked at the correlation between a 4min piece and a 2K erg test, all on stationary ergs (though we just received a dozen CII Dynamics to replace some aging CII C's....but yet to correlate numbers between dynamic and stationary). Generally for a ltwt male junior in your erg range, your 4min piece will be splitted about 1-2 seconds faster than your 2K split. There is a higher correlation between a 4min piece and your 2K pace than between a 1K and 2K.
Varsity mens coach, Westerville Crew
JFrancis
JV

Post by JFrancis »

One of our students is researching this topic. Specifically, the difference between static, slides, and dynamics. He's including VO2 Max & Lactic acid tests. Check out his results in, say, a year.