Got my a$$ kicked?

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

1xsculler
Old timer

Got my a$$ kicked?

Post by 1xsculler »

So, I'm about to finish my 6th year of sculling, now almost age 68. For my first four years I could beat this guy, my 69 year old contemporary and competition, by two to three minutes in a head race. Last year he beat me in the HOTL by two seconds and I was ticked. I was nursing an injured lower back but I really don't think it affected me all that much for that race. This year my training was hampered somewhat, but again not much, by another lower back injury ten days before this years HOTL. This year he beat me by forty-nine seconds. I quizzed him pretty thoroughly about what he had been doing differently and he just said that he had been getting out in his boat more. He said he hadn't been doing any type of speed training but that he never rows less than eight miles when he goes for his row about four times/wk. So, my question is: can just miles without any specific attempt to get faster actually give a guy new, commanding speed?
Last edited by 1xsculler on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
Steven M-M
Elite

Re: Got my a$$ kicked?

Post by Steven M-M »

Yes, long-slow-distance, when it is really LSD training and not higher, can greatly improve performance, especially if it involves a meaningful increase in training load. It is the foundation. Now if he also adds some appropriate interval training, you could be in further trouble....
Steven M-M
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

I hope he's not chimed in here but then it's all friendly competition.
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Steven M-M
Elite

Post by Steven M-M »

Steven M-M
bgutting
Novice

Post by bgutting »

While I've on occasion argued in favor of things like CrossFit (which loves intervals) here in the past, the reality is that I've seen my biggest gains hull speed by doing 7-9hrs a week at 18spm, with my heart rate hovering in the mid-150s (HRmax of 200). NB I didn't start off at that much volume, I added it over time and continue to add now. Mostly on the water, too, unless winds are too high. Also, 1-2x per week I do 20min/7 + 20min at just below LT, which usually requires going up to 26spm these OTW, though I can pull it off at an 18 on the erg.

I prefer low ratings for numerous reasons. In addition to other benefits noted here, it really teaches you how to relax completely and apply power efficiently. I learned from a noted mixed martial arts coach how learning to fully relax your muscles when doing power-oriented workouts can help improve output--I'm happy to share details on this if you're curious.

As for age...my friend Chuck looks pretty great for being 67: https://www.sportgraphics.com/events/40 ... ler_id=770

He's also faster than people decades younger than him.
celluloid heroes
JV

Post by celluloid heroes »

what kind of boat is that he is in?
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

I'm 99% sure Chuck rows a Sharrow as does Bob Schumacher. Bob, Chuck and Dan Bort, who rows a Fluid, are the three fastest lightweight Vets. (60 to 69) on the planet, or at least of the guys who compete in Masters Nats. and at HOC (Bob and Dan). They all can post 1k times within a second or two of 4'.
Last edited by 1xsculler on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rowingman
Varsity

Post by rowingman »

I have been cross fitting for about 7 months, and just about decided to switch over to long pieces at low stroke rate... At my age (66), if you are doing cross fit 3x/wk, then you are in recovery mode if you are not in the gym. I lost this past summer on the water and my performace at the fall head race reflected the lost time in the boat.... besides, I have never spent big chunks of time "building base", and if I want to row into my 90's. I'd best be gettin on with it...

Yup that looks like a Sharrow.. George rows out of the Treasure Coast Rowing Club just outside of Stuart, Florida. I used to row with those guys when I went down to visit my mom there. With George's shop nearby, most of the boats in the barn there are from his shop... George specializes in boats for shorter, lighter folks... that's his main market, but will build a full size boat... excellent workmanship, usually carbon hull and deck and the box nicely trimmed out in wood. Might still have a website, but haven't checked lately.

Rowingman
Bucky
Pre-Elite

Post by Bucky »

Please someone learn me how to put those cool lined boxes around the quote I want to address.
"Can just miles . .. .
Yes. Absolutely yes.

Crossfit and ergs are good for fitness. But that is not rowing, right?
6 years in, 1x, you are just tapping the keg and sucking down a lot of foam.
And at 68ish, I suggest power intervals are going to get you fired up about going fast. And looking buff. Raging through the first minute and 11 seconds. Then what?
How about trying something new. Like take more LSD and get more boat feel. Less blade slip. More run and relaxation.
Sounds like your competitor is just coming of age and matching it up with more time on the water.
Just beat the guy. Make your boat go faster than his boat. Suck it up, Nurseboy! :)
Don't forget taunting. This is not NCAA, this is professional!
Bucky
Pre-Elite

Post by Bucky »

Sorry 1x, for shorting you on my thought that more LSD and time on the water is right for you. Personally, 29 years in, I justify every minute I spend just cruising. I prefer to be a slow rowing learner and spend less time folding clothes.
Just call Xeno. Pay him whatever he wants. You have an historic opportunity here.
boston_1x
Veteran

Post by boston_1x »

Well, if before he was only getting out once or twice every other week, then yeah, 4x/week consistently would be a pretty big step up. Consistency & injury-prevention are sort of the first two pages in masters training.

That being said 30-35 miles/week in the boat at steady state will only take him to a certain point. As I recall, you are in Boston. Rather than remote coaching, try to get hold of, or get involved in, some of the masters-oriented winter training plans from CBC or CRI. The coach at Cambridge is Boris Kusturic (kusta15@hotmail.com). He also does some coaching at CRI.
bgutting
Novice

Post by bgutting »

Mr. Cook rows a Sharrow, and it is awesome. I tried it myself once and thought it was heavenly; sadly, the wait to get one of my own was looking like at least six months, so I contacted Fluidesign and got one in three weeks. That, too, is divine. You can't go wrong either way. George Sharrow himself is a trip, and knows a bunch of tricks to maximize speed if you're short. Had dinner with him and his wife at FRC back in April and he was talking about these experiments he'd been doing with drilling holes into oars. And yep, Mr. Bort rows a Fluid and he's gotten quite speedy lately, had an awesome race in the heavyweight 1x final in OKC.

I'd consider lactate testing, too. GMS does it, and I'm sure other folks in Boston do as well.
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

Not only did I get my a$$ kicked for the last two years (by a couple of seconds in 2010 and 46 seconds this year) at the HOTL by a guy I beat very handily for the first three years of my six year sculling career he did it in a 35 # Pocock Standard Line K1, or maybe even the 37 # heavyweight model, while I was thinking I was the smartest guy on the planet rowing my 27 # VD Traditional.
I may have to rethink this boat weight thing and start packing a 10 # dumbbell when I compete, at least.