Sliders verses Static

smiles
Old timer

Sliders verses Static

Post by smiles »

Since my women's intuition suspects many of you are chomping at the bit for this topic...
Discuss...

Yah...I'm just gonna be "that kid" who opens the Pandora's Box & then ducks out...
(or as Southern so affectionately once deemed me: the hornets' nest poker)
training is the opposite of hoping
1xsculler
Old timer

Re: Sliders verses Static

Post by 1xsculler »

If you include the Slider (Oartec), and other dynamic ergs, when you say sliders I don't think there's a lot of difference except for the fact that a dynamic erg always gives you instantaneous engagement at the catch. I row my DIY dynamic erg almost daily, except when I'm rowing a model D static erg when I'm on Maui from where I just came, and I see and feel little difference in the overall experience except the instant engagement at the catch on the dynamic erg and you do sweat a little more on the dynamic erg because your body remains relatively still.

Springs in the handle as on the Slider and which are easy to install on a C2 do soften the catch a little.
Last edited by 1xsculler on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
southernrower
Elite

Post by southernrower »

OK smiles...I will take the bait.

I have piriformis issues. When it flairs(knock on wood cuz it has been a while) rowing on sliders/dynamic seems to keep the pain at bay. I do not know why. Perhaps because it is easier on the back at the finish/catch that is somehow connected to something down there. Maybe there are some geometry differences on the dynamic vs the static that make it better? Similarly there are certain boat geometries that kill me- as in one particular 2x brand where I have not found a position that is piriformis comfortable. So maybe it is a geometry change/difference.
skinny
JV

Post by skinny »

In my coaching experience it's much easier for athletes to maintain proper posture (and avoid back injuries) around the catch on sliders and dynamic ergs. Especially if there are hamstring flexibility issues, or you're working with heavier athletes. However, it's a band-aid solution to a problem that would be better solved with proper stretching and core stengthening.