at least one thing I just don't understand about lower backs

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

boatfullofjoy
Novice

Re: at least one thing I just don't understand about lower backs

Post by boatfullofjoy »

Another interesting fact. Back injuries in the sport of rowing didn't really become commonplace until they elongated the slide. The slide used to be much shorter towards the stern of the boat. This didn't allow the curling of the lower back because there just plain wasn't any slide for that. They elongated the slide and then people could have bad form at the catch. For folks who have problems with this, something you can do is purposely shorten their slide so they HAVE to keep their hips behind them at the catch. Or you can put electrical tape on the slide so they can at least FEEL when they go too far. The tape also works well on ergs which have limitless slide so that folks can hit their heels with their seat before they catch if they want to...ouch!
"It's the ONLY thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING -absolute nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats'" -Wind in the Willows Chapter 1
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

Why can't we just do straight-leg dead lifts to strengthen our spinal erectors as they seem to be the muscles I injure in my lower back?
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
Know your A1c and your heart rhythm.
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

LOL! It would certainly speed up the process of unrecoverable injury! If you can do 'em, you're in. If you can't, you can't walk! :)
rowingman
Varsity

Post by rowingman »

!xsculler,

Strengthing the low back (and core) with weight training is something that I subscribe to. Hugely. However, you can't do it if injured, and your doctor will likely give you a dozen reasons not to. However, if you get curious about it, I would find Mark Rippetoe's DVD or book on strength training. Mark's DVD is about as good as it gets as far as correct technique goes... most trainers don't get it right. I have though about heading down to Mark's gym in Wichita Falls and take the course for my own well being.

RM
bow1
Varsity

Post by bow1 »

as usual, some great feedback on this topic. I hope some of my thoughts are as useful too.

1. Rough water. Anecdotally, I see a lot of back pain in small boat rowers who row in rough water and have balance problems. I guess a bit like russian roulette if the boat is rolling around and you are still trying to hammer out the session, eventually one of those strokes will be a loaded chamber where you end up with your hips off parallel with the horizon and a lateral curve in the spine.

2. Static ergs. I guess I could dare you to ask Carlos in person, but I am sure by now you know there is a correlation between static ergs and back problems. Either stop erging or get a dynamic one like a RowPerfect. Ivan hoopers study reference all the good studies and is a helpful read. (a quick reread also brought the extra length most rowers get on the static erg which has already be referenced here)
http://www.concept2.com.au/app_cmslib/m ... 0study.pdf

3. Don't Row with a perfect straight back, unless that is how you have always done it. Any change to a well established technique opens the door for injury. Some of my recent reading has been on barefoot running, and one key point that is stressed that changing to bare feet will absolutely force a change in running technique that will usually cause injury.
http://www.runningtechniquetips.com/201 ... us-reward/

4. Row the same 1x, with the same rig. (see 3. above) Before deciding to change your rowing technique, my advice would be to change the rig of the boat first. Think of your rig as your running shoes, maybe trying some orthotics or a different brand is a better option then changing your natural running technique.

@southernrower - I thought Mahe's back problem stemmed from that waterskier crash that broke his back a few years back?
southernrower
Elite

Post by southernrower »

Hey Bow1-
I was unaware of the accident. I just noticed in the pics when I was posting them that his style is different than the other rowers.
bloomp
Old timer

Post by bloomp »

My analogy from the article is that having a poor back position will increase the negative forces on the back - and maintaining a structured posture will decrease shearing forces. The research definitely shows the huge contribution of accessory structures in the back to force production with poor form and a similar phenomenon definitely is found with rowing, but in addition to the ligaments and cartilage, you put increased shearing and compression forces on the musculature of the back.

Since the load of a stroke is not necessarily as large as the load found in weightlifting, it will take MORE than just one bad stroke to cause an injury, but after repeated damage only one 'off' stroke will definitely exacerbate any damage. The chance of 'bad strokes' is much greater than the chance of one poor rep, since a) you take thousands of strokes per practice and b) the conditions can make it easier to be offset and c) the impact of multiple people in a team boat can make for an unpredictable situation. So it's far better to maintain good posture every stroke than try to find some middle ground that could lead to compromised structure.

As Joy said - Every stroke matters. But finding some middle ground between poor technique and a stiff back is probably asking for trouble if you're working in a team boat or on rough water.
bow1
Varsity

Post by bow1 »

@southernrower - took me a bit of digging around in Google to track details of the accident down, but if you are interested.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10121093
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=10344229
southernrower
Elite

Post by southernrower »

1x- I was throwing away a bunch of loose paper and printed out stuff for file and came across this article from Biorow about lower back exercises. Hope it helps-

http://biorow.com/RBN_en_2001_files/200 ... News09.pdf
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

Thank you very much!
I had Cardiac Catheter Ablation. I was in totally asymptomatic, (Apple Watch alerted me) persistent, Atrial Flutter and, post Ablation, I am in persistent sinus rhythm, knock on wood!
1xsculler
Old timer

Post by 1xsculler »

Very interesting!