Grand Puba

Speed 5 with World Champion Meghan Musnicki

Post by lt.wolf »

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Speed 5 with World Champion Meghan Musnicki

Post by lt.wolf »

Speed 5

WOLF - Hey Meg, well it was only a short bit of time ago I was worried about you, you were slogging it out in sculling boats and looking for a way on the senior team, now a short time later your throwing it down at Worlds in the 7 seat of the women’s eight, what happened during that time period for you, what changed?

MUSNICKI - After training at RBC under TK for a year and a half I got an invite to train down in princeton with the team. My first year I was training with the sculling team trying, rather unsuccessfully, to hold my own against the likes of the top women scullers in the country. I finished at the bottom of the pack before worlds in Poland and was pretty upset. I spent the summer of 2009 training, a lot. I knew I needed to increase my fitness if I wanted a shot. I came back that September and found out that this whole "training" thing really does work, I dropped my 6k by 30+ seconds, surprising even myself and was switched to the sweep group. Bottom line? I trained my face off, and learned how to push myself.

WOLF- Gold medal now, world champion now, Now what? Where do you go from here?

MUSNICKI - Being a world champion is great, but not what I am doing this for. So nothing really has changed, I still need to continue to train, gain fitness, and get faster.

WOLF- You were here at RBC not too long ago, do you miss the club rowing life, or is life in the camp like living the high life? What gets you thru the day there?

MUSNICKI - I wouldn't say that living and training in Princeton is "living the high life" but I won't lie, it does have some perks that club rowing doesn't have. Having said that, I do miss rowing out of RBC primarily because I met some great people and rowers of all ages (no, this is not a knock at you Sean, don't worry you're still young and spry haha) What I learned training at RBC and under TK has helped shape me into the rower that I am today, and I am always thankful for that.

WOLF- The eight race was over pretty quickly I feel, how did it play out in your mind?

MUSNICKI- Was it over quickly? Haha It was a great race. To be completely honest I don't remember exactly what I was thinking throughout the body except for a couple select moments where I thought, "its not enough, they can still come back". It sounds so cliche, but I really was never comfortable with our lead, ever, I wanted more.

WOLF- Ok , you got to race with Susan Francia in the pair earlier this year…..what a “HOT “ pair on and off the water……What was is like rowing with her and when can I …..I mean we expect to see that line up again…..

MUSNICKI - Thanks, its always nice to make the "hot or not" list I live in fear of the day I show up on the "not" side though haha. Racing with Susan was great. She was amazing to have in the bow, I really feel like she taught me so much. Since I was first put in a pair in February of this year I'm sure I taught her a lesson in patience as well! In all seriousness though to make a boat with her was pretty amazing, I mean, who can complain about their first international racing experience being with a world and olympic champion? Will we be paired up again? You know the training center well enough to know that I don't know the answer to that :)

Extra One

WOLF-The Olympics are not that far off if you really thin about it (1.5 years) are you excited

MUSNICKI - Am I excited about the Olympics? Of course! But even though it is only just over a year and a half away its still a long year and a half. Anything can happen between now and then so I really try to take things one day at a time.

WOLF- And who is your “crush” on the rowing scene?
My crush?? A lady never tells.....

Thanks so much Sean. It really is so new to me, people actually taking interest in what I think and what I am doing. I'll talk to you soon, and ALWAYS yell to you when I see you out on the water :)
Oldschoolrower
Varsity

Re: Speed 5 with World Champion Meghan Musnicki

Post by Oldschoolrower »

go Meghan!