Speed 5 with Carlos Dinares

Wolf interviews rowings best characters

Moderator: lt.wolf

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Speed 5 with Carlos Dinares

Post by lt.wolf »

Carlos Dinares is the current coach of the USA lightweight women’s double and is currently preparing Ursula and her boat mates for the World Championship Trials in about a week where Ursula Grobler will attempt to also make the team in the lightweight single and the lightweight quad.

More information on Carlos and his quest can be found here http://3medalchallenge.blogspot.com/

Other information on the group can be found here .
http://www.rowperfect3.com
http://www.rowstarproject.com
http://bellinghamquad.blogspot.com

WOLF - As we head into the USA trials whose idea was it to attempt tripling up Ursula for Worlds in New Zealand (assuming she wins all her events at trials), and why is this being done?

CARLOS -
1) Because she has the speed and training to do it.
2) Because the hardest the challenge, the stronger you become.
3) Because it has never been done before and somebody needs to be the first one, why not the USA?

WOLF - As a coach how are you protecting Ursula physically and emotionally for long term success from 2010 thru 2012?

CARLOS - I use my skills. I work on this every day. It is a priority for me.
I have a plan and I'm following it.

WOLF - Financially how is the funding for all this happening? Your placement in an Olympic event could change how you are funded by US Rowing and others does the distraction of other events and those results cause you concern for the future?

CARLOS - We have no real funding- What Ursula and Abby receive from USOC doesn't take us very far- We are working on it-
We need help-

WOLF- You have some of the top lightweight women in your group but, arguably, not all the top women, wouldn’t you rather have ALL the talented lightweight women to select from rather than some? Isn’t the problem the method (or lack thereof) of selection rather than making all the top women come together in one place?

CARLOS - I have today the fastest 4 LW in the USA for sure. I have the fastest two 2x in the USA.
Ursula was with me and Abby believed in me and got a Gold medal in Bled. Now Kristin and Victoria are believing in me and soon will see what they get.

WOLF- There have been rumors that in 2008 the lightweight women’s double coach was left without credentials as they traveled and competed in the Olympic Games (which could have effected their performance), do you feel you will be secure in obtaining credentials from US Rowing for 2012 if you are the coach of the lightweight women’s double, and how is the relationship between US rowing and your group at this point in time?

CARLOS - I wanted to row the Olympics. It is too late. I don't care about being there as a coach as long as my crew wins Gold. It is about the athletes and the Gold medal, not about the coach. To get to the Olympics as a coach has never been a Goal for me. My goal is to coach rowers to win Gold medals at the Olympics.

Our relationship with US Rowing is perfect. I talk very often with Matt Imes, Fred Honeiben, Tim Mclaren and John Parker. They all want the USA to do well and are supportive of us as long as we are fast and help the USA to win medals.

Extra One-
WOLF- In 2009 no one really knew of Carlos or Ursula, in less than a year you have both taken the US rowing nation by storm, what or who can stop you from taking on the World ?

CARLOS - In less than two months we will see what we can do at the World level. I hope we can win Gold medals for the USA.

We wish Carlos and his crews luck at trials and thank them for being open to our interviews in the past year.

Cheers and beers
Sean Wolf
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Speed 5 with Carlos Dinares

Post by lt.wolf »

posted.
iwantmorepies
Pre-Elite

Post by iwantmorepies »

Good confident answers. Not much in the way of specifics, though!
The Dude
Pre-Elite

Post by The Dude »

If you want specifics, go to the 3medalchallenge.blogspot.com
It is pretty much stream-of-consciousness. He posts several times a day. It is enlighteneing and entertaining. Is it smart? Crazy? Crazy smart? Off the wall? You decide.
Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

It would have been interesting if Carlos has actually answered 50% of the questions.
Anon
Novice

Post by Anon »

Carlos is the the most enthusiastic coach I have ever had, and he pushes his rowers as hard (probably harder) than any coach I have ever had. Really liked his bit on his blog about about how much he hates the C2 erg too. Reminds me of when Ursula broke the LW record and when asked how much she trains on the C2, she said, "never, it ruins my technique and timing."
Here are some of my favorite Carlos quotes (you have to imagine them with a STRONG spanish accent):

"Look at her row. She is a machine. She knows no fear. After her heat she told me, "Compared to the RowPerfect, this is easy." When we are training I tell her, OK one more 2k all-out, and she says, "But Carlos, I am tie-red; I cannot feel my feet." Good, I say, that means we are getting somewhere."

"progress is forward. monday was awful.
yesterday was less awful.
today was less less awful."

"You must finish your strokes to set the boat and let it run...it is like when you go to bed with a woman. You must touch her breast for her to do things for you."
"what is so funny do you not touch the woman's breast?"
Yes sir I do.
" Good because if not I would have to do it for you."
(He is coaching men when he said this)

"I cannot take my shirt off because all the girls will be on me. i would have to beat them with a stick."

This is just a small peek into Carlos. I must say that Carlos loves rowing and coaching rowing and everything to do with rowing as much as anyone possibly could. He is tireless and enthusiastic and the US is lucky to have him on their team. And lucky to have the LW women who can take what he is throwing at them.
sul
Old timer

Post by sul »

lt.wolf wrote:Carlos Dinares is the current coach of the USA lightweight women’s double and is currently preparing Ursula and her boat mates for the World Championship Trials in about a week where Ursula Grobler will attempt to also make the team in the lightweight single and the lightweight quad.
snip
Nice work, Sean, while it seems there isn't a lot of info there, I find it very very informative.

Athletes will often gather at a coach, or a particular club or camp because there are few other choices, or it's the only place they'll get training partners, etc. What comes through is that there appears (from here) to be a lot of passion and commitment among the athletes and coaches to each other, something that makes the training grind a lot more fun, and gives athletes the ability to push harder.

It's also really interesting, that no matter how he feels about it, Carlos is definitely not pushing the "us vs them" type of attitude.

This is a convenient motivational tool that can reap short term benefits, but can implode over a long period of time, kudos to Carlos.

Sul
pierre
Elite

Post by pierre »

The Dude wrote:If you want specifics, go to the 3medalchallenge.blogspot.com
It is pretty much stream-of-consciousness. He posts several times a day. It is enlighteneing and entertaining. Is it smart? Crazy? Crazy smart? Off the wall? You decide.
Just a load of uninteresting things that a novice-coach would put in his essay to take the coaching exam over here. I was expecting a wee bit more than that with his speed5.

So far, he's just a demiurge who found the perfect person (a strong, dedicated and gifted one) in order to apply his idea.
3rd rocks from the sun
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

He's a demiurge? LOL first time I have actually seen this word used. Had to look it up and got two somewhat differing meanings:

1.) a supernatural being imagined as creating or fashioning the world in subordination to the Supreme Being, and sometimes regarded as the originator of evil.
2.) from Latinized form of Gk. demiourgos, lit. "public or skilled worker" (from demos "common people" + ergos "work").

Which sense did you mean to ascribe to Carlos?
Pry2
Varsity

Post by Pry2 »

x
Last edited by Pry2 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

I will give him this, he is pretty much one of the few coaches that has an interest in lightweight womens rowing on the international level.

Maybe Tom T is glad he does not have to worry about lightweights ?
pierre
Elite

Post by pierre »

crewu wrote:He's a demiurge? LOL first time I have actually seen this word used. Had to look it up and got two somewhat differing meanings:

1.) a supernatural being imagined as creating or fashioning the world in subordination to the Supreme Being, and sometimes regarded as the originator of evil.
2.) from Latinized form of Gk. demiourgos, lit. "public or skilled worker" (from demos "common people" + ergos "work").

Which sense did you mean to ascribe to Carlos?
bummer should i have checked back my greek mythology before typing... I confused with Pygmalion... sorry about that.
3rd rocks from the sun