Rowing with a bungee cord

ccrc1992
Novice

Rowing with a bungee cord

Post by ccrc1992 »

What do you guys know about rowing with a bungee cord around the hull to slow the boat? I have seen it done before and want to try it but first want to know what its for and any tip on doing it.
bloomp
Old timer

Re: Rowing with a bungee cord

Post by bloomp »

It's only real use is to work on power. You can't row steady state with such an increased load without hurting yourself, so most workouts with the bungee will be like 10 strokes on, 10 off. I've gone like 20/5, 10/5, 20/10... Any combination like that. If you're really coordinated, you can take it off the bow after finishing your workout and feel the huge difference (without docking).

On the same note - would it be beneficial to larger boats to do bungee rowing? Like a pair/double/four/quad.
Rowing6412
Novice

Post by Rowing6412 »

I've only ever done it in big boats (4s and 8s). it's great for working on power and can definitely be used for steady state. We used to throw a bungee on the 1v and do workouts with the 2v next to us in order to balance out the speed of the boats a little bit. Not sure if it would be smart to do long workouts with it on your 1x but you can use it on a larger boat for the entire workout and it shouldn't hurt you.
boston_1x
Veteran

Post by boston_1x »

Charley Butt is a big believer in using it in the 1x. And if you get bored of 1 bungee, try 2. And if you get bored of that, cut a one-foot length of garden hose, tie a rope to it, and hang it off the bungee. Besides strength, good for catch technique, and keeping a faster boat well-matched with a slower one during a workout.
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

It's pretty straightforward - we'd put on 2-3 tennis balls on a bungee, and hook it on the riggers and run it across the hull. The tennis balls really added resistance. I've also seen folks take a rope bundle and just tie off on their shoes and toss off the stern. A few times I've taken a bungee and tossed a six-pack off the stern. By the time you're ready for a beer, it's nice & cold :)
ccrc1992
Novice

Post by ccrc1992 »

caustic wrote:By the time you're ready for a beer, it's nice & cold :)

Not when you live in Florida and the water is 84 degrees Haha!
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

I have used the bungee with a few beginner scullers so that their too slow legs can keep up with the speed of the boat for better power application.
boomerkang
Veteran

Post by boomerkang »

petermech wrote:I have used the bungee with a few beginner scullers so that their too slow legs can keep up with the speed of the boat for better power application.
Now that is a good idea - analogous to having the novice on the erg with the fan at 10, but on the water. Brilliant!
Rich S.
JV

Post by Rich S. »

I like that - I could name my workouts after the beer.
i like rowing
MChase
Old timer

Post by MChase »

And if 1 is not enough, then:
BungeesOnBow.jpg
BungeesOnBow.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
Varsity mens coach, Westerville Crew
yourfriend
JV

Post by yourfriend »

On the same note, I've heard attaching a string/rope with an open coffee can/any open can at the end of it to the stern.
SomeJunior8
Pre-Elite

Post by SomeJunior8 »

yourfriend wrote:On the same note, I've heard attaching a string/rope with an open coffee can/any open can at the end of it to the stern.
That seams like it would create more drag than resistance and possibly offset the boat more than benefit. The bungees seam to be the best bet, never tried it but I've had more than one coach threaten us with it.
Just got to be faster.....
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

Rich S. wrote:
I like that - I could name my workouts after the beer.
The Bud LW, the Half-Rack Challenge, Coors Curse, the list goes on :).