Speed 5 with Douglas Vandor CAN LM2X

Wolf interviews rowings best characters

Moderator: lt.wolf

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Speed 5 with Douglas Vandor CAN LM2X

Post by lt.wolf »

http://www.rowingcanada.org/beijing_200 ... ios/vandor

WOLF - Your race in Bled was great! You pretty much led from starting gate to finish line , break it down a bit ? Was
it as easy as it looked ? And what is next for you ?

Vandor - A race is never easy. That being said, we had a really good start which put us out in front. This gave us a lead by the 500 which gave us a bit of breathing room and allowed us to relax. We plan to race Royal Henley Regatta and the Lucerne World Cup next.

WOLF - How hard it was to deal getting sick in Beijing and did you ever consider retiring after 2008? What the hell was it that got you sick , the water , the food ( bad egg rolls) ? So many people went down, what could have done it ?

VANDOR - I have no idea why I got sick. Unfortunately many athletes were affected, not just me. Cam and myself were really enjoying rowing together leading up to the games. One night in the hotel in China we talked about continuing rowing after the Games. Before heading back to Canada, we had both committed to rowing for another 4 years.

WOLF- How come Canada has been able to consistently put together competitive LM4- and doubles while their much "bigger" neighbors to the South haven't raced in A final in ten years?

VANDOR - That question you will have to ask my big southern neighbours.

WOLF- How did Bent Jensen influence your double and Canadian lightweight program and what's the biggest lesson you learned from him?

VANDOR-I have had many coaches over the years. The top coaches all say the same thing...pull hard.

WOLF-Why a Fluid Double ? Everyone else is racing in something Italian?

VANDPR-Right now we feel comfortable in a fluid. We train in fluid singles and doubles. It is what we are used too, it is what we are comfortable in.

EXTRA ONE
WOLF-With all the recent "changes of citizenship" going on in America recently , would you guys consider switching , over to play for Uncle Same and the Red, White and Blue? Just think of all the funding and sponsorship we have?

VANDOR-All the funding and sponsorship in the world would never change the fact that if we left Canada, we would be leaving the best coach in the world, Mike Spracklen. He plays an integral role in any success that we have and is far more important to us than any amount money.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Speed 5 with Douglas Vandor CAN LM2X

Post by lt.wolf »

Posted.