sandor
Old timer

Re: Tariffs and Boats

Post by sandor »

crewu wrote:
crewu wrote:
Mango wrote:
crewu wrote:
sandor wrote:Saw a trailer packed to the gills with new (fully plastic wrapped) Kanghua's parked on East River this AM.

It may have just been a "normal" thing & unrelated to the US v. China trade war, but my first thought was hedging bets against price increases.
That Kanghua isn't a bad boat.

Just received a quote to ship a 40 foot container from China to the east coast: $23,000. That is a pretty big price increase in recent times.
What has the cost generally been? I do not know.

I am curious what the impact on Wintech, Kangua, Empacher etc. (any boats that have to be shipped) has been given the issue at the ports. Tarrifs aside, Samsung, LG, Google, Lenovo, etc. have had a hell of a time keeping up with getting stock into the states for a year now. I am selling projects/solutions now that have estimated delivery dates in January and February (which mean I won't be getting any $$$ until after Christmas).
I shipped a 40' container 18 months ago for under $5000.
WOW! Shipping costs from China to the US have dropped 60% in just the last couple of months.

It will be interesting if inflation follows suit and also falls quickly.
Hopefully just like lumber costs.
$1600 per thousand board feet down to $950 or so
A sheet of 3/4 inch plywood dropped from $90 at our local Home Depot to $55

Now we just need to get those empty containers redistributed, goods properly located & smooth out the ripple of chaos from the Suez Canal blockage
crewu
Old timer

Re: Tariffs and Boats

Post by crewu »

Looks like tarriffs and shipping costs have put Swift into bankruptcy.