USRowing hypocrisy continued.....

Moderators: lt.wolf, YouGotMobjacked

crewu
Old timer

USRowing hypocrisy continued.....

Post by crewu »

So, last I heard from USRowing you should not do any team boat rowing if your Congressional district is Orange or Red according to the Harvard Covid-19 color scheme. Whether you agree with this or not you can't blame an organization for putting up some standards. USRowing then followed this up with threats about expelling members that do not follow the guidelines or at least flagrantly violating them. OK. Some teeth behind the policy. Again, their house, their rules. No problem.

Then you look at Regattacentral https://www.regattacentral.com/regatta/?job_id=5290 and for next weekend we see a 2-day regatta to be held in Sarasota, FL hosted by Sarasota Crew with 354 entries (including dozens of eights). Wow! Good for them. Well done....

Except this event is being sanctioned by USRowing. It is being insured through USRowing. The head coach of the host organization is a USRowing national team coach. There's a USRowing chief referee. And the Sarasota congressional district is RED on the Harvard assessment.

Perhaps someone might balance this out for me because all I see is USRowing hypocrisy continued.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: USRowing hypocrisy continued.....

Post by lt.wolf »

Considering US Rowing is holding Olympic trials a few days later before I don’t see why this race could not go ahead .
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

State and local authorities have the final say, so with it being Florida things can run. If you state allows it ....

https://usrowing.org/documents/2021/1/1 ... df?id=2467

Expect an update

Ohio is the only state that says you have to follow your NGB as well.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

You miss my point.

I have no problem with the regatta.

I have a problem with the hypocrisy of the NGB saying don't row team boats if your district is red and then effectively hosting a regatta with hundreds of team boats in a red district.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

I think you misread something somewhere. USRowing explicitly left everything LEGAL to the states and local jurisdictions. What those officials say, goes.

USRowing recommended certain things in the absence of any specific guidelines, but those carry no force of law.

They threatened any club with NGB discipline if those clubs violate the state and local guidance as set down. Basically, first a club has to break a state or local law. Then, in addition to any penalty dealt there, USRowing reserves the right to impose organizational sanction against that club. Thus one violation can beget multiple penalties.

USRowing does not supersede actual law. It piles on afterward.

There is nothing to Karen about. These aren't the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

USRowing's most recent guidelines: 1/15/2021

"If your county falls in the orange or red categories, team boat should not take place."

"Failure to provide a safe rowing environment are grounds for suspension or revocation of organizational membership."

I never said anything about force of law. Not sure why you are crowing about that.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

crewu wrote:USRowing's most recent guidelines: 1/15/2021

"If your county falls in the orange or red categories, team boat should not take place."

"Failure to provide a safe rowing environment are grounds for suspension or revocation of organizational membership."

I never said anything about force of law. Not sure why you are crowing about that.

"*should* not take place", in a document titled, "USRowing Re-opening the Boathouse/Return to Training Considerations Post-COVID-19"

For your consideration, it's a CTA move, not a KYA move.

First Core Principle: "All organizations and athletes must follow state and/or local rules and regulations set forth by the public health authorities including group size. When regulations differ between state and local authorities, organizations should follow the guidelines of the overriding authority for their location."

Fourth Core Principle: "USRowing recommends training in singles (1x) or same household team boats only in order to maintain proper physical/social distancing. Individuals living in the same residence (spouse/partner, siblings, parent/child) may take out a double/pair (2-/2x) or a four/quad (4-/4x)."

Fifth Core Principle: "USRowing continues to recommend NOT rowing in eights, or in other team boats where boatmates are not from the same household, due to the possibility of the transmission of the disease through respiratory signature."

Dropping to sub-bullets on the 5th...."As physical/social distancing guidelines begin to be relaxed, group size numbers are increased and close contact sports are permitted in your area, USRowing, in accordance with updated USOPC guidance, recommends using the Harvard Global Health Institute website in order to make informed decisions if you choose to return to rowing team boats. The Harvard Global Health Institute website provides infection rates per county and a four-color system to help you make informed decisions. If your county falls in the green or yellow categories, team boat rowing can be considered if appropriate monitoring, contract tracing and quarantine and/or testing protocols are in place. If your county falls in the orange or red categories, team boat rowing should not take place."

UNRELATED TO ANY SPECIFIC METRIC OR CURRENT EVENT is the general statement:

"Additionally, it is every organization’s responsibility to have SafeSport requirements and general rowing safety protocols in place. Failure to provide a safe rowing environment are grounds for suspension or revocation of organizational membership."

This applies every minute of every fcuking day you're in operation, no matter what is going on anywhere else. If you don't agree, smell ya later.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

I think you just made it VERY clear that USRowing's own written directive to its members is not to be rowing eights if their county is red.

Thank you.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

crewu wrote:I think you just made it VERY clear that USRowing's own written directive to its members is not to be rowing eights if their county is red.

Thank you.
You made it very clear wherever you graduated from should be burnt, razed and the ground salted.

You are why you fail.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Big Koala VI
Varsity

Post by Big Koala VI »

I would like to state that I am on the side of reason and caution:
Where in the document does USRowing state restrictions that are based on the county's COVID level?

I understand that USRowing, as an organization, will try to have the least amount of responsibility for any unwanted incidents, even though it was them who decided on hosting a nation wide competition in one of the nation's biggest centers of an infectious disease. :?