Mango
Old timer

Re: USA Junior Rowing

Post by Mango »

lt.wolf wrote:Fresh group going into 2021

https://usrowing.org/news/2021/1/22/new ... staff.aspx

***does this mean no more Vespoli?
We can dream, can't we? ha!

A little disappointed that the staff of 9 (Casey plus 8 assistants) and only 2 women.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Before you choke on your woke, it might be useful to know how many qualified applicants threw their names in.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

rowing wrote:Before you choke on your woke, it might be useful to know how many qualified applicants threw their names in.
Do you know how many?

If not very many, do you have any insight or thoughts as to why qualified applicant pool of women did not throw their hat into the ring?

Either way the lack of women on the staff is concerning, whether it is because they did not hire them, or because there wasn't a huge pool of qualified female coaches who offered to work under/along side this structure.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Mango wrote:
rowing wrote:Before you choke on your woke, it might be useful to know how many qualified applicants threw their names in.
Do you know how many?

If not very many, do you have any insight or thoughts as to why qualified applicant pool of women did not throw their hat into the ring?

Either way the lack of women on the staff is concerning, whether it is because they did not hire them, or because there wasn't a huge pool of qualified female coaches who offered to work under/along side this structure.
I wasn't the one who expressed disappointment without this information.

My general philosophy is that women are too damn smart to entertain the low rewards path of being a rowing coach.

Much like an overstocked trials event, the coaching ranks are full of people who can afford to spend their time and resources on a hobby.
FriarsRowing
Varsity

Post by FriarsRowing »

rowing wrote:
Mango wrote:
Do you know how many?

I wasn't the one who expressed disappointment without this information.

My general philosophy is that women are too damn smart to entertain the low rewards path of being a rowing coach.

Much like an overstocked trials event, the coaching ranks are full of people who can afford to spend their time and resources on a hobby.

Ha I feel this. Well said. I’m 32 and have 100k of debt out there over 28 shells and 5 launches. Have to convince people of your love of such hobby.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

FriarsRowing wrote:Have to convince people of your love of such hobby.
Love indeed makes the rowing world go 'round.

The problem is that then people try to apply logic.

If you've been in love, then you know logic is right out the damn window.