Peloton rower?

Moderator: lt.wolf

Mango
Old timer

Re: Peloton rower?

Post by Mango »

Rocket-Sauce wrote:Hydrow is not the only "Peloton-esque" rower
https://www.proform.com/rowing-machines/750r-rower
NordicTrac has had one for a bit as well. It will most likely come down to content. Unsure who is doing those other classes, footage, etc. To me this seems to be like an apple vs. microsoft environment. The real play should be platform and licensing. Why create content to a specific machine and make it proprietary (apple). Based on how niche rowing is compared to stuff like cycling studios etc. why not create the content to use across multiple platforms (microsoft).

I would assume HydRow will win the race to better content with people we know in the rowing community like Cavalo, Aquil, Justin Moore, and Bruce Smith. I would be surprised if any of us could name the NordicTrac, Proform, or Peloton instructors....but maybe that actually isn't better content for non-rowers. Regardless, I hope it grows the sport.
eeoyre
Elite

Post by eeoyre »

Mango wrote: NordicTrac has had one for a bit as well. It will most likely come down to content. Unsure who is doing those other classes, footage, etc. To me this seems to be like an apple vs. microsoft environment. The real play should be platform and licensing. Why create content to a specific machine and make it proprietary (apple). Based on how niche rowing is compared to stuff like cycling studios etc. why not create the content to use across multiple platforms (microsoft).

I would assume HydRow will win the race to better content with people we know in the rowing community like Cavalo, Aquil, Justin Moore, and Bruce Smith. I would be surprised if any of us could name the NordicTrac, Proform, or Peloton instructors....but maybe that actually isn't better content for non-rowers. Regardless, I hope it grows the sport.
https://www.nordictrack.com/rowing-machines Susan Francia... Alex Gregory... Heard those names somewhere before, but can't quite remember where.. :lol:
Rocket-Sauce
Pre-Elite

Post by Rocket-Sauce »

The Pro-Form and Nordic Track ergs are 2 sides of the same hideous coin. Yuck.

Recipient of 2006 Time Magazine Man of the Year
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

I wonder how home vs commercial sales are split for companies like these.

Both NordicTrack and Pro-Form have a "complete" line of equipment for the likes of a corporate or hotel fitness center.

Thats probably quite a bit more lucrative than a sport with a following on par with water polo in the US.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

eeoyre wrote:
Mango wrote: NordicTrac has had one for a bit as well. It will most likely come down to content. Unsure who is doing those other classes, footage, etc. To me this seems to be like an apple vs. microsoft environment. The real play should be platform and licensing. Why create content to a specific machine and make it proprietary (apple). Based on how niche rowing is compared to stuff like cycling studios etc. why not create the content to use across multiple platforms (microsoft).

https://www.nordictrack.com/rowing-machines Susan Francia... Alex Gregory... Heard those names somewhere before, but can't quite remember where.. :lol:
Well I am a dumb-dumb. Not the first time and won't be the last. They aren't doing a great job of advertising that. I am sure I subscribe to more rowing social media than most of their target customers, and I just found out about it from a niche rowing board.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Magdalena Lobnig announced today her partnership with Technogym,
Attachments
399921DD-1D4D-4F9D-8A1E-C4F89455FAC0.jpeg
399921DD-1D4D-4F9D-8A1E-C4F89455FAC0.jpeg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 540 times
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

They have Technogym ergs at my local gym. I can't stand them. The action is way too heavy and the resistance is allowed to go insanely, back-damagingly high.
Rocket-Sauce
Pre-Elite

Post by Rocket-Sauce »

KitD wrote:They have Technogym ergs at my local gym. I can't stand them. The action is way too heavy and the resistance is allowed to go insanely, back-damagingly high.
Technogym's strength is not their super high resistance. An erg is not the right tool for that sort of work (a TR is https://www.last500.com/).
When they say they "teamed up with rowing champions to develop" it, they aren't kidding: Rossano Galtarossa (Italian 4X 1992-2008, many Gold, Silver, Bronze medals from Oly and Worlds), Marcello Miani (Italian LWT, multiple Gold Silver and Bronze in 1X, 4X, 2X and 4-) and Scott Durant (GB 8+ Gold 2016 and gold and silver is other events ). Not to mention Bradley Wiggins :?

It is very cool with a hilariously 'Eruo' name, in sort of a "how-C2-could-have-evolved" in a parallel universe. It is compatible with C2 -so you can compare drag factor, splits and times with the C2 standard. Not sure how I feel about adding magnetic resistance to the fan for strength training -nothing beats a TR for rowing strength training (on land that is..).

There were several in the warmup tent at Worlds last summer, but they went largely unused. The C2s and RP3s seemed to get the most use, followed by the C2 Bikeergs. I think I saw 1 Chinese LWT woman using it. It is up to the build standard of other Technogym products I have used, which is to say very high quality (I LOVE their spin bikes and tredmills) Kinda like a beefier Model E. It feels very s-o-l-i-d and ultra stable. Sort of the opposite direction of the trend towards dynamic ergs.
You can buy 4 Concept 2s, or an RP3 for that price.

Pass...
Recipient of 2006 Time Magazine Man of the Year
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

KitD wrote:They have Technogym ergs at my local gym. I can't stand them. The action is way too heavy and the resistance is allowed to go insanely, back-damagingly high.
Regardless of the pros or cons of specific equipment of theirs, as an athlete sponsor, however, it is nice to see a 7-consecutive "Official Fitness Equipment Supplier to the Olympic and Paralympic Games" supporting rowers.

Skip their rower if it stinks & grab their squat rack... :D