repainting/refurbishing 1x recommendations

Moderator: lt.wolf

singlesculler
Pre-Elite

repainting/refurbishing 1x recommendations

Post by singlesculler »

My 1x is about 15 years old and was stored outside for the last ~5 years, albeit covered (finally back inside now). The clear coat on the carbon weave in the cockpit is yellowed and starting to flake and a number of spots on the hull that have had repairs and repainted have started to get stained darker (it's a white hull) and get rough, some spots getting that crackled gator-ed look. The parts of the hull that have never been touched are still in good condition. Is there any reputable places in the Boston/New England area that you would trust with refurbishing the paint/topcoat of your 1x?
Mid hull small.jpg
Mid hull small.jpg (30.68 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Sculler22
Novice

Re: repainting/refurbishing 1x recommendations

Post by Sculler22 »

I would strongly recommend that you contact Andy Crumpholt at CRI. His work is amazing, and he gets plenty of practice with the large, heavily used CRI fleet.
KiwiCanuck
Elite

Post by KiwiCanuck »

Or you could ask around at auto-body paint shops.
Withoutmercy
Pre-Elite

Post by Withoutmercy »

It looks like a former repair was made using bondo and only single stage paint was used. Remove the old bondo and repair it with an epoxy based boat filler. Than use a 2 stage paint system.
Sand the carbon to remove the clear and re-coat with a 2 stage clear system.
petermech
Elite

Post by petermech »

Row America in Bridgeport Ct paints boats. You can go to their web site to fill out form to get a quote. In the mean time if you wish to remove the yellow you could try a fiberglass stain remover such as FSR or Y-10.
singlesculler
Pre-Elite

Post by singlesculler »

Thanks all, yes I was told it really should be a two-part paint sprayed on, but I don't have the equipment, or skill to do it. I'm not sure if it's worth the investment in equipment and time to learn when i could have somebody do it at a much higher quality. I'll look into these names/places. Thanks