New SS Workout (I'm bored)

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

clinicallyoverweight
Novice

New SS Workout (I'm bored)

Post by clinicallyoverweight »

Hey all, I've been doing 2x45' ~3 times per week in addition to regular collegiate practices in the mornings.

2x45' is great but I am looking for a new way to break up the SS but still have the same GAINS.

What are some examples of workouts you've done in the past/you've known fast athletes to do?
pmacaula
Pre-Elite

Re: New SS Workout (I'm bored)

Post by pmacaula »

I often do rate-restricted 'ladders' to break up longer pieces.

Example: 60' total time broken up into 2' segments as follows: 18spm@1:56/20@1:52/22@1:48/20spm@1:52 - repeat, so you cycle through a 4 step 'ladder' every 8 minutes.
For a distance piece, break it up into 500m segments. Pick the paces you think are sustainable for each rate & away you go.

A more sophisticated version is a Wolverine Plan Level 4 workout. Similar to ladders, but the paces for specific rates are defined by your most recent 2k test time. Info on it is posted in a few placed on the internet, including the Concept 2 forums. There are a few flavours, including 60' and 2x40'.

Cheers. Patrick.
leotraining
Novice

Post by leotraining »

One we did in college quite a bit was a ladder over 5' that we just repeated over and over.

For example 10" on, 50" off - Minute 1
12" on, 48" off- Minute 2
15" on, 45" off - Minute 3
20" on, 40" off - Minute 4
30" on, 30" off - Minute 5 and then Repeat over and over until you complete your total time. It really helps to pass the time by quickly and allows you to hit your faster splits for SS and then back off to the lower end. Essentially your doing aerobic intervals the entire time.
mightyquinn
Pre-Elite

Post by mightyquinn »

If you have a PM4 or PM5 monitor on the erg, try the Advance Target Training under Games. Try 20 minutes at your target SS split and SPM. The game tracks your percentage accuracy for the target splits and rates over the course of the piece. Requires concentration and control to score in the mid to high 90s. Repeat for 3x20'
suahoi
Varsity

Post by suahoi »

30/25/20/15. 1' between each. gets you your 90', but you get to see shorter chunks each time.