2015 Boat Race Squads

Moderator: fatsculler

fatsculler
Old timer

2015 Boat Race Squads

Post by fatsculler »

The squads for the men's and women's Boat Races have been announced, and as in 2014's race I'd far rather be in Sean Bowden's position than Steve Trapmore's.
Oxford have 4 returning Blues from the crew that crushed Cambridge and also 5 Isis oarsmen from this years race. Included in the Oxford squad are:

Constantine Louloudis (President) Olympic bronze medalist and reigning World Champion
Mike DiSanto US senior national team
Josh Bugajski, James Cook, Morgan Gerlak, Ian Mandale - all recent U23 Internationals

Cambridge have 5 returning Blues. Included in the squad are:
Henry Hoffstot US M2+ at this year's World Championships
Alex Leichter Austrian who raced in the quad at one of the World Cups
Blake Parsons US U23 team
William Warr GB U23 team

The bookies will probably be making Oxford odds-on favourites for another big win although we'll know more after the squads race each other it the Head of the River Fours race over the reverse Boat Race course on the 1st Nov.
The older I get, the better I was
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: 2015 Boat Race Squads

Post by lt.wolf »

Also saw Caryn Davies is lined up to race, not to worry, for the women's race. Some of those men should worry though.
LoreMaster1
Old timer

Post by LoreMaster1 »

Isn't Blake Parsons Canadian? (He's a Princeton grad, so I understand the confusion.)
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

LoreMaster1 wrote:Isn't Blake Parsons Canadian? (He's a Princeton grad, so I understand the confusion.)
Oops, yes a typo on my part!
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Both the men's and women's Boat Race squads were in action this weekend at the Fullers Head of the River Fours (raced on the reverse of the Boat Race course) and, as with last year Cambridge took a bit of a thumping.
The top Oxford 4+ of:
Sam O'Connor
Mike Di Santo
James Cook
Stan Louloudis
cox William Hakim

finished as the top 4+ in 9th overall (beating Leander and Molesey crews full of their world and Olympic medalists) in 18:30.4. The Oxford 2nd 4+ boat (Gerlak J O'Connor, Geffen, Swartz & Collier) were 4th in class (19th overall) in 18:50.5, 2 seconds ahead of the top Cambridge boat (Jaspar Holst, Matt Jackson, Josh Hooper, Henry Hoffstot and Iain Middleton). Cambridge's next two 4+'s were back in 30th and 33rd in 19:04 & 19:08. There was also an Oxford 4- that finished in the top 15 (2nd in Elite 4- )

In the women's race the top Oxford boat (Madeline Badcott, Emily Reynolds, Nadine Graedel-Iberg, Caryn Davies and Erin Wysocki-Jones) finished 36 seconds ahead of the top Cambridge boat.
All in all it's looking a bit ominous for next April if you're a light blue supporter!
Blah Blah
JV

Post by Blah Blah »

So after trial 8s, does anyone know where I can get odds on Oxford to win men's and women's, heavy and light?
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Blah Blah wrote:So after trial 8s, does anyone know where I can get odds on Oxford to win men's and women's, heavy and light?
Evens I reckon
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

A few thoughts on where I think both Unis are in their preparations.
https://danielwspring.wordpress.com/201 ... -thoughts/