Oartec Slider?

Moderator: lt.wolf

1xsculler
Old timer

Oartec Slider?

Postby 1xsculler » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Does NE body in the US and on this site actually own and use a Slider yet?
I usually win if none of the guys who are faster than I am show up and if I don't go off course.

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Oartec Slider?

Postby lt.wolf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:27 pm

frisky has one coming, saw him at san diego and he said it would arrive soon.

bayrower
Pre-Elite

Postby bayrower » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:50 pm

they emailed me said they are ready to ship.

I think I will go with the rowperfect instead though (size is important and some good feedback)

frisky
Pre-Elite

Postby frisky » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:13 am

Sorry guys, I was traveling and had them hold my shipment. The slider ships "today" and will arrive in 3-5 working days. A review will follow shortly but I am not sure if I can match the "youtube" standards that have been set by "others" here :wink:

1xsculler
Old timer

Postby 1xsculler » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:42 am

I'd love to see a five minute youtube demo with audio of your impression of the overall quality and function of your new Slider. If I receive mine maybe I'll do one too. I'd expect the Slider to be a good seller to people on this site.
I usually win if none of the guys who are faster than I am show up and if I don't go off course.

frisky
Pre-Elite

Postby frisky » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:46 am

...shipping today!
The review will follow ASAP!

ESale.jpg
ESale.jpg (46.47 KiB) Viewed 3470 times

1xsculler
Old timer

Postby 1xsculler » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 pm

It looks like Frisky and I will receive our Sliders on the same day. I think I'll take mine up to the Catalan training center after NSR1 and Carlos, Ursula and I can do a comparison with his older Rowperfect and maybe even include his MVP Pro and post it on youtube.

frisky
Pre-Elite

Postby frisky » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:32 pm

1xsculler wrote:....I can do a comparison with his older Rowperfect ...

Now you are talking comparing Opel with BMW again :wink:

1xsculler
Old timer

Postby 1xsculler » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Frisky, I think you're correct about the BMW/Opal comparison but some people seem to really like the RP. I'm wondering if the weight of the sliding apparatus is heavier on the Slider than on the RP. It seems that for a sculler you would, ideally, want the sliding portion to weigh about the same as a 1x. Everyone seems to agree that either a Slider or a RP is superior to a C2 on sldes and since I can't get any replies from RP and their price is reputed to be more than double that of a Slider this is all we have for now.

bayrower
Pre-Elite

Postby bayrower » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:46 pm

RP will have another 100 units to ship soon. None have really left their region, as they were perfecting a few things. (for example, a new housing that lowers the noise substantially).

I am getting one of the first of the new batch, but I imagine that is in a month or two (but not sure as time seems to move to a different beat with RP). Pricing, not sure what in US$.

I too am intrigued by the slider but wanted a smaller form factor. And there is no doubt about that. I think either will be great.

1xsculler
Old timer

Postby 1xsculler » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:11 am

Got my Slider today. It took about 1/2 hour to assemble it and, so far, im' very impressed with the design and function. It glides very smoothly and it sits very comfortably. It has a nice handle. It may not pull as smoothly as a C2 at first because ther're several sprockets the chain must pas through and that will propbably smooth out in time. I really didn't get to do a work out on it as my back went out on the water this morning because I didn't warm up properly I should be able to ease into it tomorrow. So far I do like it, though.

bayrower
Pre-Elite

Postby bayrower » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:18 am

Is the weight pretty noticeable? width/bulk compared to a c2? or the original rp?

1xsculler
Old timer

Postby 1xsculler » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:13 am

I've never seen an original RP in person nor have I seen a C2 on slides and I was concerned about the weight of the sliding portion of the Oartec and how it would feel. I'm very pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the Slider moves back and forth and I don't notice it feeling heavy or bulky at all. I think I'm really going to like it but I have no other dynamic erg to compare it to. I may drive up to Seattle and try one of Carlos' original RPs within a week or two and then I can make a comparison. So far, I'm very pleased.
If Frisky is in country he should have his Slider set up pretty soon and since he had a C2 on slides he should be able to make some more meaningful comparisons.

scullerjonny
Pre-Elite

Postby scullerjonny » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:06 pm

The weight of the sliding portion needs to be heavier than a racing 1x, because we move through water...The C2 prototype at HOCR had a 30lb foot stretcher (moving portion) and it was too light. You could spin the feet in and out and the seat wouldn't move much. On the old RP (probably new as well) both the feet and the seat move, with the feet moving more from center relative to the seat. You don't want the seat to move much to begin with if you are erging correctly, but it will move no matter how good you are...basic dynamics problem.

1xsculler
Old timer

Postby 1xsculler » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:34 pm

That's a good point about the resistance of the water being a factor. The weight of the sliding portion of the Slider is 55 # but because it moves so smoothly and with such little friction it feels light. The RP's sliding portion weighs 38.5 # and I don't know how it feels. I do want to try one of the new RPs out. The seat on the Slider is very nice and much more comfortable that on a C2. It rolls very smoothly too. In a day or two after my back quits talking to me I'll try to really test the Slider out.

Return to “Miscellaneous and Other Equipment”